Author Topic: LyricsReloaded (Updated)  (Read 164064 times)

Mr. Trev

Hey.

I was doing some disk analysis on my laptop and just found out my mb_LyricsReloaded.log file is over 3GB :o
What on earth is the plugin writing to make the log that big? - I can't even load it into an editor and check, it's that big

Do I even need to keep it?

Cheers.

frankz

It logs every request and whether it was successful or not.  You do not need to keep it.  If you delete it (with MB closed) it will be recreated.

Make sure you're using the most recent version of the plugin.  I cut down on what gets written (less words).  I've considered stopping the logging, but it comes in handy for things like the question right before yours. 

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to programmatically flush it occasionally.

sveakul

I was doing some disk analysis on my laptop and just found out my mb_LyricsReloaded.log file is over 3GB :o
What on earth is the plugin writing to make the log that big? - I can't even load it into an editor and check, it's that big

Do I even need to keep it?

Edit:  frankz beat me to it but kept the following in case it helps:

FYI, a tiny portable app that will view text files that size and more in a jiffy is Large Text File Viewer 5.2u (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=693).  There's also a free Microsoft Store thing called Large Text Viewer (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/large-text-viewer/9nblggh4mcm8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab).
Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:10:37 AM by sveakul

Mr. Trev

Thanks all.

I figured that it probably wasn't going to be an issue if I deleted it, but I just wanted to make sure.

I was using v1.1.7 of the plugin so I wasn't too horribly out of date.

I did give one of the viewers that @sveakul mentioned. The first request in the log goes back to 2018. Oddly, probably 90% of the entries are "Received a notification of type TagsChanging". Hopefully the updated plugin will stop that.

Cheers.

frankz

I looked at the log file like you suggested and I saw that the plug-in does look for lyrics in every source until it finds something, which makes this even weirder. Why does it find a source in previously failed attempts when I change the order of providers?
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're asking here.

Also, talking about providers, would it be possible to add LyricFind? The website isn't "open" per se, but it can provide lyrics through Google Search and it has been really useful when the plug-in doesn't find anything.
That website doesn't have lyrics on it.

frankz

OK, asking what you guys think here.

I've got a pull (change) request that came in on Github for the provider azlyrics.com.  Apparently that site changed their site coding and this change is needed to match lyrics.
 A pull request is basically when a user updates the code and then asks to have their code integrated into the project.  (Thanks to whoever did this by the way). Here is the updated code.

delete this:
Code
pattern: ['<!-- start of lyrics -->(?<lyrics>.+?)<!-- end of lyrics -->', s]

and add this:
Code
pattern: ['<!-- Usage of azlyrics.com content by any third-party lyrics provider is prohibited by our licensing agreement. Sorry about that. -->(?<lyrics>.+?)<!-- MxM banner -->', s]

Now, I'm pretty sure this is related to other websites that purport to be lyrics providers scraping and using the lyrics.  Technically, I guess, reading it very literally, the plug-in is not a "lyrics provider"  It retrieves lyrics just like a web browser would with everything else around the lyrics stripped out.

But beyond what it literally says, I'm trying to decide if the spirit of the warning is that the plug-in should not be using az as a source any longer.  I don't want to retrieve their lyrics if they don't want their lyrics retrieved this way - if they just want people going to their web site to get them.  That's their content.

The inner debate I'm having is whether the plug-in is a "third party" or whether the end-user using the plug-in is a "second party" no matter how they get the lyrics.

So what does everyone think?

My options are to:
1. Leave it broken and anyone who wants to make a YML for themselves to make it work can use the code above to do that just like any other source.
2. Update it and make it work - maybe or maybe not against their wishes
3. Delete the source and anyone who wants to make a YML for themselves to make it work can use the code above to do that just like any other source.

I'm inclined to delete the source to be on the safe side.
Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:16:42 PM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm inclined to agree with you. Especially since it's a gray area as to who is violating the copyright - you as the creator of the plugin, or the user of the plugin.

The thing you don't want is to get a digital rights copyright infringement letter from your ISP. Or your ever-so-friendly government watchdog agency.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

I'm inclined to agree with you. Especially since it's a gray area as to who is violating the copyright - you as the creator of the plugin, or the user of the plugin.

The thing you don't want is to get a digital rights copyright infringement letter from your ISP. Or your ever-so-friendly government watchdog agency.
The good thing now is that it's broken, so no one is violating anything!  :D

hiccup

So what does everyone think?

I would guess it is not the website who is the owner and has copyrights on the lyrics, but the artist.
If there are any legal battles (to be) fought, I would guess it will be the artist/his record label against the lyrics websites.

So I would assume there is hardly any risk in updating the plugin. After all, it has been working for a long time now, and there have been no complaints from any lyrics providers as far as I can tell?
I can imagine that if AZL gets a lot of traffic that they don't like, and they are able to see that it is done by MB users, they could try some blocking, or perhaps make contact and ask for having the plugin removed.
And if a friendly or a non-profit organisation would ask that it should obviously be respected.

But the most important thing is to avoid MB getting in trouble.
Perhaps send bossman a PM about it and see what he thinks?

edit,
To start off on the safe side, perhaps set a limitation to how frequently lyrics can be retrieved by MB?
E.g. a one or two minute period, so that it is impossible for a user to fetch 60 lyrics per minute?
Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:44:45 PM by hiccup

frankz

OK, so new wrinkle is that I went to their website to try to look at this agreement and got a "we've noticed unusual activity from your IP address check here to prove you're not a robot" box.  I've never been to their site directly before today.  

It's doubtful that even corrected it would work for anyone for long, because apparently the plugin is considered unusual activity and you (i.e. the plugin) can't get to the site without checking that box anyway, so I'm going to delete it as a source that can be selected in the plugin.

I will leave the YML as part of the package in Github with the correction made that the user submitted and if anyone wants to download that and use it on their own that's their business even though I doubt it will work.

hiccup

I've never been to their site directly before today.  

Strange. So the plugin testing went well (more than once I assume), but only when you used your web browser you had to perform a bot-check?

Either very accidental, or they are not able or willing to block how the plugin communicates with them, or it was not specifically your IP, but you are in a block of IP numbers range where there has been suspect or high-volume activity. (I have experienced that more than once myself)

It's obviously your decision, but I wouldn't like to be scared too much by an organisation that makes money themselves by harvesting and sharing the fruits of other peoples labour.

They even publicly promote the amount of traffic they have, only to sell advertisements and make money:
https://www.azlyrics.com/adv.html

Let's help them! More traffic, more money for them, more money for the artists that sue them ;-)

frankz

It's obviously your decision, but I wouldn't like to be scared too much by an organisation that makes money themselves by harvesting and sharing the fruits of other peoples labour.

They even publicly promote the amount of traffic they have, only to sell advertisements and make money:
https://www.azlyrics.com/adv.html
It says at the bottom of the site that they license their lyrics from MusixMatch, which is still a provider, so I don't think anyone is losing anything by deleting the source.

I've updated the plug-in and the OP.

phred

• Global Moderator
For anyone who still wants to get lyrics from AZ Lyrics simply set up a custom web link (Preferences > Internet) using this link:
https://search.azlyrics.com/search.php?q=$Replace($First(<Artist>),&,and)+$Split(<Title>,"(",1)

I've never had it take me directly to the requested lyrics, but it does bring up a list of links based on <artist> and <title>. Then it's a matter of copying and pasting. Certainly not as elegant as having the lyrics deposited directly into the file, but this works.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SamS

• Retired. Hike CO Plateau. Collect music.
Agree would be nice to load directly to file.  However, this method works, is simple and, for me, quick.  THANKS for posting.
8) Sam S

heyman111

Is this working well for you guys? I was recommended this yesterday and I've tried it out. It works only about 30% of the time for me, and my metadata on my songs are all 100% correct. For instance, "Tell Your Friends" by The Weeknd should've been picked up without problems, but it finds no lyrics: