Author Topic: Copy tags, cover and lyrics form one file to another  (Read 6008 times)

VX

It would be great if tag editor had an option to copy all the tags, lyrics and cover from one file to another. I have two files with the same song: the first one has higher bitrate, is much longer and simply sounds better but all the tags are missing, whereas the second one has much worse sound quality, is shorter, but has all the tags updated. The cover and lyrics are embedded in the second file.

Is there an easy way to move tags, covers and lyrics from one file to another  ???
The function would be very useful to clean the duplicate files in a collection, because you could copy some tags to the file you are going to keep and remove all others.
Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:50:04 AM by VX

Antonski

Agree, but maybe it should be possible to choose which tags (including the custom ones) to be copied.

Blinghound

Steven

• Administrator
this is done for the next update. Just use the Edit/ Copy command on one or more file (or press Ctrl-C) and then Edit/ Paste (or press Ctrl-V) on the target files.
If one file is copied you can paste to multiple files, and if multiple files are copied from then you need to paste to an equal number of files.
If you are pasting to multiple files, you will always be prompted to confirm the operation. If copy/pasting to 1 file only, the prompt can be disabled.
Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:10:16 PM by Steven

VX

Steven, thank you very much for adding this option :)
It works as it should (tested Copy&Paste tags form one file to another), except for two minor bugs:

1) the Artwork is not always copied (checked with MP3tag to be sure);

2) the duration (time) tag is copied from one file to another.
Supposing you have two mp3 files: the size of the 1st is 6,1 MB (duration- about 4 minutes), the size of the 2nd is 2 MB (duration is 1:04 min). The bitrate is the same (256). When copied tags from the 2nd to the 1st the new duration for the file is 1:04 min, although the file size hasn't change of course. Doing Copy&Paste tags I have lost about 3 min of the song  >:(
Performed the steps on different sets of two tracks and the result is the same  >:(

IMHO, values such as time,  bitrate  etc. shouldn't be copied over tracks when you Copy&Paste tags.
Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:26:42 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
i'm surprised you find its copying duration as thats not stored in the tags. Can you reconfirm that please
Similarilary it shouldnt be copying any file properties - bitrate, samplerate, file type etc.

i will fix the artwork as i know what the problem with that would be

Steven

• Administrator
this should fix the artwork not being copied
i await your response re: the file duration - i tried on a couple of files myself and the duration is unchanged. The only way i can see the duaration would be altered is if in the unlikely event you are using the skip start and end silence settings in the Settings tab of the tag editor. But doesnt alter the real duration of the file, just the apparanent duration
http://www.mediafire.com/?x5j751g53qd8bf4
Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:31:20 PM by Steven

VX

I can confirm the artwork issue is fixed.

As far as file duration, I performed Copy&Paste tags from one file to another with different duration three times.
There was no problem with the first set of two files, however the bug described above was present in two other sets  >:( I didn't make a backup of the files, so I can't show you the original versions.

However, when I was going to PM the four buggy files to You to fix the problem I copied them into the desktop. Then I cleared the MB now playing list and started to play the files from the desktop to make sure the bug exists. Surprisingly, when I play the files from the different location (i.e. the desktop), the file duration is correct :) Media Monkey 4 shows the correct time of the four tracks too (no matter the location).

So I'm sure this bug has nothing in common with tags, BUT I can confirm that the duration of two tracks is shown wrongly in MB after I copied & pasted tags from one file to another.

Steven

• Administrator
i really cant see how it would be happening as duration is a property of the file and not stored as a tag. Unless you can give me a before and after file with the problem i dont think i can help with this

VX

As I said I can't give You the original files as I haven't made a backup :(

BUT I managed to solve the problem:
go to the Settings tab in  tag the Editor, UNCheck the end time in both files, Save the changes and the bug with wrong time solved :)
The longer file has correct time now.
Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:23:59 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
ok thats what i was asking before. What i will do is blank out the start and end skip silence tags

john6555

I thought I'd bring this wish back to life, as it is somewhat related (depending on your definition of somewhat):
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=741