Author Topic: How to use auto-organise in a similar manner to iTunes?  (Read 1339 times)

FireHotStickies

Hello,

I have just moved over to using Musicbee and I really love it so far, but I am having trouble organising my files.

In iTunes, there was a "keep files organised" option. As an example, this meant that if you edited the title of the album, this would also edit the title of the folder where the music files from the album were stored.

Is there a similar way to do this with the Musicbee auto-organise feature? When you use Musicbee, the auto-organise feature seems to want you to move files from the C drive to the G drive, where my music is stored. I don't want to move any of my music files. All I want to do is keep them on my G drive and keep them organised when editing them from Musicbee.

If anyone is able to help me with this, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you tried adding a rule for G: to G:?

Remember that it won't be applied until a track is added to your library, so unless a track from C: is added to your library, that particular rule is moot.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

FireHotStickies

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Am I right in saying then that the only way for Musicbee to organise the files currently in my library is to create a G: to G: rule, delete all the files from the library, then add them all back in?

Then after that, I will just be adding music from my G: drive, so the same rule should sort out the library folder's automatically when I add in any new files?

redwing

If you want, you can add multiple music rules like C: to G: and G: to G:. In fact without such rules set for different drives, files won't be auto-moved across drives, only being referenced.
No need to delete and add them back in, just open auto-organize dialog, preview with your template and run it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No need to delete and add them back in, just open auto-organize dialog, preview with your template and run it.

^^ This. Auto-organize doesn't only run when files are added, it keeps up with changes to either your files or your organization rules.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

elK

I d just create a backup (or more) and play around with MB without the risk to lose anything. There are quite some features and ways to lose files, if you do stuff you dont really understand. Im glad i had backups, when switching from itunes to MB :) it helps to understand how it works and a fresh set up library does have its perks i guess.

Regarding Topic :) MB does the job (posts above!)