Author Topic: Using a Logitech Harmony universal remote to operate MB  (Read 3563 times)

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
This is an outline of my setup for using a universal remote control to interact with MB. There are a couple of add-ons and tweaks needed to get the most useful functions running. I expect my setup to evolve over time, but this is my current configuration.

Required hardware to duplicate my setup (other than a Windows PC):
-Logitech Harmony Elite
-USB Bluetooth adapter (for the PC)
-FLIRC USB (I use the 2nd Generation) Universal Remote Control Receiver

Required software:
-The latest MB version. https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0
-The Logitech Harmony app
-The FLIRC app
-Windows 10 is what I'm using, I don't know if earlier versions will work as well.

I am using both the Bluetooth keyboard function of the Logitech and of the FLIRC because of the modifier key limitations of both:
Logitech: Modifier key combinations only work when they are already in the listed functions, but modifier keys can be used by themselves.
FLIRC: Modifier keys can be used in any combination you can think of, but they cannot be used by themselves.

I won't go into using the Harmony or Flirc configuration software, you can find that info using your favorite internet search engine. But I will cover general requirements of the configuration.

The devices to be controlled are my computer and my speaker amplifier. My speaker amp must be added as a device in the Harmony app, as does my Windows PC. One more generic device that uses IR control must be added, this will be used to program the FLIRC which can use any IR remote signal to actuate your programmed keystrokes. Once those are setup and working, change the power settings for all devices to "my device's original remote does not have a power button" if you don't want the remote to power toggle your devices when you are done listening to MB and power toggle them when you start. Then, create a new activity, I named mine "MusicBee." You're now ready to assign button functions for your activity.

In the Harmony app, go to Buttons > Assign AV Commands. Use the drop-down menu to select your activity and click the Go button.
The buttons will be assigned the way Logitech thinks you'll want to use them. You might want to go ahead and manually unassign the functions for all of the buttons so you can see which buttons you haven't assigned yet. Remember, each button has a long press and a short press command that can be assigned.

Here is the strategy for what commands should be sent to which device:
Amplifier - I send only volume adjustment and mute commands to my amp.
Bluetooth (Windows PC) - I send all commands here unless I need to use the FLIRC
FLIRC - Only used for specific keypress combinations not supported by the Bluetooth functions.

Here are the commands I currently use. They will be using names of the Bluetooth (Windows PC) remote commands unless otherwise specified:

Previous/Seek Back
Short Press - SkipBack
Long Press - Flirc: Alt+Shift+B (Custom MB hotkey for Playback: Skip Back 5 seconds)

Play
Short Press - Play
Long Press - Flirc: Alt+Enter (used to send the selected album to the now playing list and start playback on the first track)

Next/Seek Forward
Short Press - SkipForward
Long Press - Flirc: Alt+Shift+F (Custom MB hotkey for Playback: Skip Forward 5 seconds)

Record
unused

Pause
Short Press - Pause
Long Press - [same]

Stop
Short Press - Stop (yes, Windows does support a stop media key and so does MB)
Long Press - Alt+Shift+S (custom MB hotkey, stop after current)

Exit
Short Press - Escape
Long Press - Alt+F4 (for the unaware, this closes the application with focus)

Menu
Short Press - Flirc: Shift+F10 (opens the context menu, same as a right-click with a mouse, used to play playlists and use custom cueing options)
Long Press - Alt (opens the main menu in MB)

Vol+
Short Press - Amplifier: volume up
Long Press - [same]

Vol-
Short Press - Amplifier: volume down
Long Press - [same]

Up
Short Press - DirectionUp
Long Press - [same]

Down
Short Press - DirectionDown
Long Press - [same]

OK
Short Press - Enter
Long Press - OK (don't know why these are two different commands, haven't found the difference)

Left
Short Press - DirectionLeft
Long Press - Shift+Tab (cycles backward through visible panels)

Right
Short Press - DirectionRight
Long Press - Tab  (cycles forward through visible panels)

Channel+
Short Press - PageUp
Long Press - Flirc: Ctrl+Tab (cycles forward through MB tabs)

Channel-
Short Press - PageDown
Long Press - Flirc: Ctrl+Shift+Tab (cycles backward through MB tabs)

Mute
Short Press - Amplifier: mute
Long Press - [same]

Back
Short Press - Flirc: Ctrl+Shift+S (custom MB hotkey for Player: Toggle Shuffle Mode)
Long Press - Flirc: Ctrl+Shift+R (custom MB hotkey for Player: Toggle Repeat Mode)

DVR
unused

Guide
unused

Info
unused

Red
Short Press - 1st pinned to taskbar (same as Win+1, a Windows hotkey that left-clicks the first icon pinned to the taskbar)
Long Press - [same]

Green                            
Short Press - 2nd pinned to taskbar (same as Win+2)
Long Press - [same]

Yellow                            
Short Press - 3rd pinned to taskbar (same as Win+3)
Long Press - [same]

Blue
Short Press - Win+4
Long Press - [same]

All home automation buttons are unused.

This has been presented as an example with helpful hints. Hope someone finds it useful.

Edit: Changed MB link and added stop after current to stop button long press.
Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:13:55 PM by CritterMan
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

luezuve

This is very helpful. I use a Logitech Harmony with a Hub. Unfortunately my computer is in a different room so using infrared devices like flirc is out.