Author Topic: support with playlist on android phone  (Read 4741 times)

spike12

I was having trouble auto synching my library to my phone so I started using send to to send my music and I assumed playlist to my phone.  It says they copied alright, but when I look them up in the player app I use (Gone Mad Music player)it has no playlist in the playlist section and only music in folders, which have the playlist order in each folder, though a lot of songs can't actually be read unless you are playing it since the artist  usually fill that space that you would normally see the song title in.  Anyone know why this might be happening?
Also when you recopy a playlist does that double the number of files because it copies all the songs with new versions next to the old versions you already put on to the phone? I ask be cause I've tried to recopy my enter list of playlist before and ran out of space.   I also recenlty had to factory resect my phone and all my music was mostly on my microsd card, but I wondered if there was an easy way to bring all the playlist for that music to the playlist section.  Please help, and thank you.

Addendum.  I have also searched on my device and external microsd card for the actual playlist file and can't find it.  Where does music bee store the playlist file?  It stores my music in a folder  called Playlists and has a subfolders with the music in them of each playlist with the playlist name. 
Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:27:57 PM by spike12

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Check that you don't have the "sync each playlist to a folder" option ticked in device settings.

Maybe we can help you get that working better. I also use GMMP, and have never had any trouble using auto-sync. The only problem I have is sometimes after a sync, playlist files appear twice in GMMP. But I think that's a GMMP hiccup, not MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

spike12

I unchecked that and all the playlists I synced got gathered in a folder called Music.  But now playlist showed up in my folder and when I looked in the Music folder no files for playlists could be seen, plenty of music files, but no playlist files.

phred

• Global Moderator
store the playlist file?  It stores my music in a folder  called Playlists and has a subfolders with the music in them of each playlist with the playlist name.
Instead of 'send to' try syncing.

And it sounds to me like you've got your files paths messed up. First, using an Android file explorer, create a Music folder and a Playlists folder. Then launch GMMP and point 'music' to the music folder and 'playlists' to the playlist folder.

Then with MB, Preferences > Devices > (choose device) > configure > settings > media storage > music files > (point to music folder on Android) > playlist storage > playlists path > (point to playlists folder on Android > save as format > M3U8. You may have to play with the 'use relative file paths' option, but I suggest starting with it unchecked. This is the method I use to get music and playlists to my Android and play them with GMMP.

And note that psychoadept has been using GMMP much longer than I have, so he may have a different take on the issue.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

spike12

All right I'm about to try your advice.  I deleted the old device configuration to be sure and started fresh and am going to test it out on a playlist named action after deleting the files from its current storage location to test it out.  Playlist is set to M3U8, which I've never used before usually I use .pla or M3u.   Why M3U8?  Anyway I had one question about an option in media storage.   The option use naming template or preserve files and folder names, which do you guys use and how does it effect the output of the files on you androids?
OK, I just tested this after deleting my old Config file for the device in preferences.  I also Deleted the files and the saved playlist I made in GMMP with the same name from the folder.   So it seems to work.  Though I may need to delete the files and refill my device from scratch.  Thank you.

phred

• Global Moderator
Why M3U8? Because it works for me. And while the others -may- work, I don't have experience with them as far as GMMP goes.

I use this naming template for music files:
Music\$RemoveSortWords(<Album Artist>)\$Left(<Album>,20)\<Disc-Track#> - $Left(<Title>,20)
which removes "The" from the Album Artist field and shortens the Album and Track names to the first 20 characters of each. Just an old habit from when Windows couldn't deal with long file paths.

Good to hear things are starting to work better for you.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here