Author Topic: LikeADJ - A new way to become a DJ  (Read 29777 times)

Astro Gaze

Hey DJC👽D!

This sounded like a cool thing to try out, but I ran into some issues.
I downloaded the latest version from your first post, then I tried the link in Reply #11. Both gave me this error message:

Am I doing something wrong?

phred

• Global Moderator
The creator of this plugin hasn't been on the forum since May of 2021. If he doesn't respond in a few days, try sending a PM.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Astro Gaze

DJC👽D

Steven

• Administrator
sometimes plugin initialisation errors are because the plugin is installed in two locations. You could try using v3.5 which addresses that issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

ThY

I just discovered this thread...
It seems that this plugin is actually the closest thing to the feature i was wishing for since a long time ago.

As i understand it, for it to work i will need to use third-party apps to scan my files and tag them with some useful datas. (bpm, initial key and energy)
Is that right ?

I would love to see a video of this in action, i know it's complicated to put that kind of thing in Youtube with popular music, but maybe through another way ?
I know it's an annoying request but it seems hard to "test" that kind of plugin quickly.

Also, french is my first language (if you want to pm me) :)

ThY

PM, mail, Teams sent to ThY....

Hello, i dont know if you had my mail back, but the issue i had was indeed because "Key" and "Energy" tag must be set in Custom 1 and Custom 2 tags.
The plugin looks only for the value of those specific custom tags.
Mine were set in cutom 9 and 10, so it didn't work.

DJC👽D

Hello, yes I have read your mail and a fix will be available as soon as possible.

DJC👽D

In the new version 2.0.16, I scan the position of Custom Tag 'Key' and Custom Tag 'Energy' at launch of MusicBee.
The download link of the newest DLL is on the first post of this thread.
Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 08:47:59 AM by DJC👽D

Mr. Trev

Seeing as there's some thread activity again, I just wanted to bump my earlier question if there's any small (possibly free) programs that can just do the analysis?

DJC👽D

I don't know any little free software that analyzes BPM, Harmonic Key and Energy at the same time.
According to several benchmarks only 'Mixed In Key' is the most accurate of paid software.
Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:04:17 AM by DJC👽D

Astro Gaze

Seeing as there's some thread activity again, I just wanted to bump my earlier question if there's any small (possibly free) programs that can just do the analysis?

Hey Mr. Trev,

I'm not a DJ either, and I was on the same search you are. Here's where it lead me.

I used MixMeister before, as a simple and straightforward program to add BPM tags. Just drag and drop the files, then it does everything else. But I found that it was tagging too many files as 87bpm. Even when they were actually around 100-120bpm. So I lost faith in MixMeister.

After some searching, I settled on Mixxx. It's slow to load, especially since I only use it for it's Analyze Window, but here's where it gets good.
- It can set a monitored folder: So any new files in your library will show automatically.
- It can analyze BPM and Initial Key for free.
- I found it more accurate than MixMeister. No false 87BPMs.

When I add new music, I simply Open Mixxx > Big Library > Analyze > Choose to show New or All > Select tracks > Analyze.
It's a lot quicker in person and the monitored folder saves me some steps.

Did I mention it's accurate and free?

Cheers,
Astro Gaze

phred

• Global Moderator
I used MixMeister before, as a simple and straightforward program to add BPM tags. Just drag and drop the files, then it does everything else. But I found that it was tagging too many files as 87bpm. Even when they were actually around 100-120bpm. So I lost faith in MixMeister.
I've been using MixMeister for many years despite knowing that it wasn't accurate. But my research many years ago stated that no BPM analyzer was spot-on. Since MM was free, had drag 'n drop, and wrote the BPM tag to my tracks, I continued to use it.

Seeing your statement about many  files at 87 bpm I decided to check. With slightly over 40,000 files a search for a bpm of 87 came up with 436 - roughly 1%. I don't know if that's reasonable or not so I downloaded Mixx and will install and test it tomorrow. I'll start with the 436 files first and see how come Mixx comes to it. I've created an auto-playlist with the criteria of BPM is 87. After I run Mixx, I'll see how many files are left.

Thanks for the Mixx tip.

EDIT: @Astro Gaze- Are you using Mixx to write the BPM tag? I just ran a couple of test tracks and while the BPM shows in Mixx, it did not write the tag to the music file. Despite having "Options > Preferences > Library >  Automatically write modified track metadata from the library into file tags" enabled.
Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 02:58:43 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mr. Trev

I'll give Mixx a try.
This whole analysis thing seems to be a rather tricky endeavour. I was hoping I could rely on Acoustibrainz except it seems the project has/is being dropped. After looking at their own data they realized the analysis wasn't accurate enough to proceed.
I still keep hoping Sony will decide to open-source their 12tone analysis, but that'll never happen