Author Topic: Artist Layout : Album Artist listed in Album dropdown  (Read 2098 times)

metrodub

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have my library in the Artist Layout and when you choose an Artist and then click on an album that they appear on, the Album Artist listed under the Album name is the same, even if the Album Artist is someone different.  In the example below, Phonte is a featured artist on the DJ Shadow album.  However, the Album Artist shows Kaytranada, whose album Phonte is also featured on.  It looks like Musicbee is taking the Album Artist for the first alphabetical Album (in this instance 99.9%) and displaying that Album Artist across each entry (Kaytranada shows up as the Album Artist when you click on the Cunninlynquists album).

Likewise, if the first alphabetically listed album by an Artist has an Album Artist of Various Artists, then the Artist listed when you click on the album shows up under every track, as it is different than the displayed Album Artist.  See the image below of The Avett Brothers.

I don't think this is a settings issue and is more of a logic issue, but if it is a settings issue, is there a fix?

NickIst

I think it's a settings issue, I don't have such problems with VA. Did you check sorting/grouping and layout (1) menu?
Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:05:14 PM by NickIst

metrodub

I'm inclined to think it is not a settings issue.  It's not an issue with VA, it's an issue with how MB displays Album Artist in the Artist View layout.  The album that the Avett Brothers are one of many artists, Another day, Another Time, and VA is the Album Artist, is first in alphabetical order.  When you select any of their other albums, Various Artists is listed as Album Artist when it should be Avett Brothers (and is entered correctly in the tags). Look at another example...

Pharrell Williams, who is a featured performer on a lot of albums in my library.  In the first example, Handsome Boy Modeling School is the Album Artist, but it shows as Paul Oakenfold.  Second example, Clipse is the Album Artist, but Paul Oakenfold is shown again.  Third example, JAY-Z is the Album Artist, but, you guessed it, Paul Oakenfold is shown.  If you notice, Paul Oakenfold's album, A Lively Mind, is first in alphabetical order.

Example 1: Handsome Boy Modeling School

Example 2: Clipse

Example 3: JAY-Z

To further my point: The Handsome Boy Modeling School track has Pharrell and Julee Cruise as the featured artists.  If you go to Julee Cruise, the Album Artist for that track and that album is Delerium, because, as you can see, their album Chimera is first in alphabetical order.

Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:32:43 AM by metrodub

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are you grouping by artist or album artist?  Nevermind, I can reproduce this.  It's definitely a bug.

To confirm, Steven, when grouping by Artist all my Aesthetic Perfection albums show an album artist of Katy Perry:

Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:11:07 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
if you have one album with 2 tracks:
Album = ALB
Album Artist = ART1
Track1 by ART1, ART2
Track2 by ART1

when grouping by Album Artist
- 1 artist (ART1) will show with 1 album and both tracks displayed

when grouping by Artist
- 2 artists will show
- ART1 will show 1 album and both tracks
- ART2 will show 1 album with only Track1 displayed

metrodub

Steven,

That logically makes sense and is displayed as such, but in the images I provided, the wrong Album Artist is showing for all but one album that the Artist appears on if that artist is on albums with different Album Artists.

In the above examples, Paul Oakenfold shows as the ALBUM ARTIST for 3 ALBUMS that Pharrell Williams is an artist on (and in my situation 10 of 11 albums).  However, Paul Oakenfold is only the ALBUM ARTIST on ONE of those albums.

White People is an album by Handsome Boy Modeling School, but for that album which Julee Cruise and Pharrell Williams are guest artists, in each of their respective groupings, Delerium and Paul Oakenfold are listed as the ALBUM ARTIST for White People.

It seems that the Album Artist from the album in the highest order (in this case A Lively Mind for Pharrell and Chimera for Julee Cruise) is being used for Album Artist across all albums for the artist.

I hope that makes the dilemma a bit clearer.
Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:33:17 PM by metrodub

NickIst

Are you grouping by artist or album artist?  Nevermind, I can reproduce this.  It's definitely a bug.

To confirm, Steven, when grouping by Artist all my Aesthetic Perfection albums show an album artist of Katy Perry:
Believe me or not but in last stable version I didn't manage to reproduce it

metrodub

I am on the latest 3.2 build, so maybe this bug was introduced with the 3.2 iteration, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't in earlier versions, at least 3.1.  Logically, the categorization works flawlessly.  If someone is tagged as an artist on a track, that album will show under that artist when the Artist Layout is selected and the track(s) that the artist performs on is listed under that album (as shown in the images that I posted).

However, there is something in the coding that is causing MusicBee to only display one Album Artist across every album that the selected Artist appears on, no matter who the actual Album Artist is.

Look at the Julee Cruise example, Delerium is showing as the Album Artist for the Handsome Boy Modeling School album  Delerium is not on that album, and should not be shown as such.  Also, if I were to select the Until the End of the World or Twin Peaks soundtrack albums, Delerium would show as the Album Artist there too.

Steven

• Administrator
PM me a link to a zip of the following files:
musicbeelibrary.mbl  (in the root music\musicbee folder
musicbee3settings.ini (help/ support/ view settings)

i probably wont be able to look at it for a few days

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
When I tested further, it seemed to happen only if album artist and album were blank for the track whose artist was mistakenly displayed
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

metrodub

Unfortunately, that's not the case with me.  I am pretty meticulous with my tags.

Steven,  I'll PM the files you asked for.

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for sending the files. I can reproduce with your files and the issue should be fixed now. You dont say which version you are using.
If its 3.1:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing files

If its 3.2, i will make it available tomorrow

metrodub

Thanks Steven.  I am on 3.2, so I will wait until that fix is released.

Appreciate the quick turnaround.

metrodub