Author Topic: 'iBee' Skin  (Read 35961 times)

aidanw

I also modified the rw/play/stop/ff buttons to have softer grey borders. I'm not completely happy with it (they get "lost" among the grey background) but I like it better than the dark harsher borders. The 134,134,134 value is taken directly from a colour picking tool over iTunes in mini-player mode:

updated:
<!-- 86-->  <element id="Player.Control.Default" bg="242,243,245" bg2="182,183,185" fg="81,81,81" bdr="134,134,134"/>
<!-- 98-->  <element id="MiniPlayer.Background" bg="230,230,230" bg2="147,147,147" fg="95,95,95" bdr="198,198,198" />

Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:16:50 PM by fish

Blinghound

You're very welcome fish.

I'll change the button borders to something softer.

As for the star rating colours, in itunes, when you have highlighted a track, the stars are white when rating (although they appear as dots when unrated), and dark when rated (unhighlighted). What does anyone else think? I could change it so the empty stars are lighter when unrated and highlighted.

*Update*

Fish, here is an altered version of the iBee skin for you to try out. What do you think of the star colour when highlighted (not rated)? and the button borders? lighter perhaps?

*altered skin link* http://www.mediafire.com/?0bm369zht43bwft
Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:45:55 PM by Blinghound

aidanw

The softer borders are really nice, they fit with the rest of the skin well.
They could almost go a little bit lighter..

You're right about the iTunes highlighting, I guess if Apple made it they've thought about it a lot and decided that was the best way to do it :-)

I found this image (http://www.snipe.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/itunes-half-stars.png) which is a good screenshot for how iTunes looks. I think the differences are:
- Blue is darker: 61,128,223 vs iBee 76,149,230
- Rating star gray (unselected row) is lighter: 127,127,127 vs iBee 100,100,100
- Unselected stars are a dot rather than star - would need code change from Steven maybe?
Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:03:19 AM by fish

aidanw

Scroll bars - I found that the iTunes 8 blue is slightly different (see this screenshot for detail: http://www.askdavetaylor.com/2-blog-pics/apple-itunes-8-genius-sidebar-bobby-mcferrin.png)

iBee blue highlight: 76,149,230
iTunes blue highlight: 61,128,223

iBee blue shadow: 110,131,162
iTunes blue shadow: 113,133,161

I used "Replace All" to swap the blues to the iTunes colours.
After this change, it looks very similar the screenshot!

aidanw

Blinghound

Hey Fish, thanks for the suggestions :)

about the blue colour, I did have a good look around for images of selected tracks, and all of them were different ;D.

for example, from the apple website http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/what-is/images/player_mix20100901.jpg, shows 91,166,233. Would this be better than my original?

I'll make the changes to the scrollbars like you suggested :)

I'll also make the button borders slightly lighter.

Blinghound

Here is the altered skin fish, what do you think? I think I prefer the highlighted track colour darker like before.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pwn46k31zokhnbq

aidanw

for example, from the apple website http://images.apple.com/euro/itunes/what-is/images/player_mix20100901.jpg, shows 91,166,233. Would this be better than my original?

This looks (based on the cursor) like the version running on Mac OS - I only checked out screenshots of iTunes running on Windows. The Mac versions seemed "brighter" than the Windows screenshots. Like you say there was quite a bit of variety!

aidanw

Here is the altered skin fish, what do you think? I think I prefer the highlighted track colour darker like before.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pwn46k31zokhnbq

I like it, because the darker highlight can get almost lost at first glance... but it's very subjective and our screens could be quite different brightness too :-)

Blinghound

Yeah  ;D, I keep forgetting our screens will differ in brightness.. So shall I keep the new lighter version and update the main iBee link fish? What do you think of the new star colour? (picture below to remind everyone)

aidanw

Yeah  ;D, I keep forgetting our screens will differ in brightness.. So shall I keep the new lighter version and update the main iBee link fish? What do you think of the new star colour? (picture below to remind everyone)

Yeah, I think the lighter one is better - it's a close call though, I do like them both. The reason I like the lighter one is that it's "fresher" and it stands out easily when you're looking in a list.
I thought the darker one was easier to read, but I went back and compared, and it's not really that much different.

Blinghound

Update

I have updated both links to include fixes for:

-More contrast between text and background in locked input boxes (Thanks Steven)
-Improved star rating colours
-Improved track highlight colours
-Lighter button borders
-Misc colour fixes

note
If you are using the Dark artwork background version, the star colour is still off in the artwork view, making it seem all albums are 5 stars (Configure|change any line to 'Album rating' to see).
This is because changing this will cause the stars to be too bright in the 'album and track' view. I will play about with this some more, and I have asked Steven for a separate element for more control.

Edit
After a short mess around with the star colours, I came across a happy medium so the stars are visible on the 'artwork' and 'album and track' views, in both light and dark skins.

Links have been updated
Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:58:18 PM by Blinghound

OrB

Hello Blinghound - Good Work,

Maybe you like to color the searchfield. The elements are available  but the tags are missinig in your source.

Blinghound

Update

The links have been updated to include:

-Brand new minimise/maximise/close buttons with highlight colours! (available from version 1.2.4052 - available in Rotem K.'s 'Pop Pink' skin thread)

A special thanks to Rotem K for allowing me to use his 'indented' style buttons, and to Steven for making highlighted buttons available :D

-Changed the top corners - I didn't really like not having a border all the way around

-New Search box colours (for Orb)

-Fixed slider buttons (the default and disabled colours were mixed)

-Fixed text the same as the background in disabled input boxes

-Altered left panel highlighted colour - to match the track highlighting

-New delete button

-Fixed checkbox backgrounds in menus

-Slightly altered splashscreen (transparent corners)

-Fixed the Mini player's nowplaying list icons

-Taken off 100kb using image compression

-A few other misc fixes

Hope you all enjoy the new (itunes-ish) button colours - tell me what you think (I'm not too sure yet)

As always, if anyone notices any bugs or has a suggestion feel free to post

Blinghound
Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:35:11 PM by Blinghound

Steven

• Administrator