Author Topic: Some CD tracks will not record  (Read 2797 times)

smeg

It's common that a track or 2 will not rip in MusicBee. Most tracks rip with no problems. Sometimes the track will not rip completely but most of the problem tracks hang up on verifying. You can hear the CD heads "hunting" back and forth. In all cases, the tracks play perfectly in VLC or other players. The tracks also rip with Windows 10 Media Player. I've had this problem in both the newest version and older versions of MusicBee.

Any ideas what is causing the failed ripping and how to fix?

smeg

I looked in the Codec sub directory and noticed that Lame was updated when MusicBee was updated last week. The Lame version installed was 3.100.2.0. This the latest version of Lame. I just downloaded the same version of Lame and unzipped it. Same version number but the new download is larger. 727 KB rather than 454 KB as installed with the MusicBee update.

I replaced Lame with the larger file. The song on the CD I was having trouble with now ripped. Hopefully this solves the problem.

smeg

Still a problem. The larger Lame file did not fix.

captain_paranoia

Ripping and compression are two distinct tasks; the CD is ripped to WAV, and then compressed.

LAME is a compressor, not a ripper. Therefore hunting of the CD drive during ripping is nothing to do with LAME. Your problem is caused by a faulty disc and the steps the MB ripper takes to try to do a perfect rip.

So I would look at the MB rip settings. If you have enabled the most exacting rip settings, so that it tries very hard to eliminate any rip error, it will keep trying to read the disc to eliminate the error.

Less exacting rippers (e.g. WMP) and CD players will just shrug and continue past the error...
Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:33:42 PM by psychoadept

smeg

Are you talking about the "profile" setting which is set to high quality? Could you be more specific please?

P.S. I notice that the songs with the problems are always further down the track count.

captain_paranoia

Could you be more specific please?

I mean the 'drive settings' sevtion of the Preferences/CD Ripping settings
- quick rip or secure rip with error recovery?

Try quick rip.

If it happens on a lot of discs, it might indicate problems with your CD drive. Have you cleaned the laser head recently? (search for advice).

smeg

I tried quick rip but no joy. I'll try cleaning. Is anyone else having any trouble?

Steven

• Administrator
i am not aware of any general problems with MusicBee's cd ripper. If you are having problems its not really an aspect of MusicBee i am willing to invest time in so you might try an alternative like EAC

Marukomu

I have a small number of CDs that won't rip with MB (or EAC). Is it possible that it's to do with CD or the CD drive? I don't have another CD drive so can't test it out. i.e. are there CDs that won't rip, regardless of the drive? The discs are not particularly scratched.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is it possible that the CDs are copy protected?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I have a small number of CDs that won't rip with MB (or EAC).
If the issue is happening is more than just MB, it's more than likely to be a problem with the disk and not the application.

Is it possible that the CDs are copy protected?
Are there still CDs that are protected?

Are the CDs that you're trying to rip commercial CDs or CDs that you or someone else created?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Marukomu

They're commercial CDs, not copy protected (MB was able to rip a cot protected CD that I had).

Marukomu

I suppose my question is - if there are errors on a disk that MB is struggling with, would switching to another CD drive make any difference? i.e. are some drives better at dealing with errors than others?

hiccup

My money is on this part of your post:

The discs are not particularly scratched.

Even a very small scratch —especially one that is in the direction of the 'grooves'— can be enough to cause such issues.
A different drive may perhaps be better in correcting such scratches.

Marukomu

MB (or maybe it's my drive) has been very good at reading scratched CDs. Some of them I thought there no way it'll read this and they were totally fine. Maybe I'll try another drive and see what happens.