Author Topic: Restoring MusicBee Layout/Settings  (Read 14426 times)

raitken

I have spent a very long time customising MusicBee to my needs and I had accidentally deleted the Panels, with only the Now Playing Panel showing.

After searching, I found that the settings are located in the AppData folder which can be found by opening up Windows Explorer and typing in %APPDATA% in the address bar and locating the MusicBee folder - the UI settings can be found in the MusicBee3Settings.ini file.

As my .bak was too recent, my previous layout had been lost. However I found a piece of software called
PreviousFileRecovery.

I took a backup of my current AppData folder for MusicBee and then deleted both MusicBee3Settings.ini and MusicBee3Settings.bak files in AppData.

After this I copied the .bak file as seen in the below screenshot and once named, changed the file extension from .bak to .ini.

Hope this helps anyone out there that may encounter this problem as I saw a few forum posts related to this.

phred

• Global Moderator
Starting with v3.2:

Edit > Saved Settings > Save Settings Snapshot (or Load Settings Snapshot)
and
View > Import/Export > Export Panel Arrangement (or Import Panel Arrangement)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wealstarr

Starting with v3.2:

Edit > Saved Settings > Save Settings Snapshot (or Load Settings Snapshot)
and
View > Import/Export > Export Panel Arrangement (or Import Panel Arrangement)

It's a useful addition. I just updated Adblock to the newest version only because it introduced to backup all the settings  to specific file.

I do really think this should be a combined option, I mean just one click to save/settings and layout together.

phred

• Global Moderator
I do really think this should be a combined option, I mean just one click to save/settings and layout together.
I politely but emphatically disagree. Mainly because being able to export one's panel layout allows it to be shared with others. Settings can't be shared due to the fact the different users will have different file paths.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wealstarr

I politely but emphatically disagree. Mainly because being able to export one's panel layout allows it to be shared with others. Settings can't be shared due to the fact the different users will have different file paths.

That's a valid point phred. However, two different options complicate it a bit. Wouldn't it be better to have two options, one to back-up all the settings altogether while second option to back-up just the lay-out.

foxj

Thank you raitken,
Your post reminded me of that option

Related to the question - in my case I did not choose to 'Apply' or 'Save' just 'Close' in the Panel Configuration. Changes still there. Thinking that they were only saved in the session, I exited, and restarted. But the unsave changes remained and in doing so overwrote the bak file.

However, I was  running 3.2.6676 on win 10. This behaviour has been corrected in version 3.2.6723

Thank you and please let me know if i can provide any other information.
-john
Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:05:30 AM by cometothedarkside4it