Author Topic: Random songs missing from Musicbee  (Read 3169 times)

bhk3

I asked this on Reddit when the site was down but didn't get much of a response.

I randomly noticed yesterday one of my favourite tracks was missing from Musicbee. I made sure MB was monitoring the correct folders and it is. I tried adding the new file manually and it didn't do anything. Drag and Drop gives me a crossed out symbol. I was told it was because of bad tags, but I'm very good about my tags and make sure as much as my library is clean and orderly. I downloaded mp3tag to check and everything there is fine too.

http://puu.sh/yFuUe/f21f30dc43.jpg

Songs 2 and 3 are not listed in MusicBee, the tags here are fine and sequential. I'm not sure what to do that's not purging MB and redownloading and starting over, because I have so much music I don't know what else could be missing.

redwing

MB won't complain about tags for importing as long as the file is playable.
If importing was denied, I can think of only one possibility. The file is already in your library (also check inbox node).
If that doesn't make sense, your library may not be up to date. I'd suggest running Tools> Advanced> Rescan all files command to see if that makes any differences to either of your existing tracks or the new tracks.

bhk3

MB won't complain about tags for importing as long as the file is playable.
If importing was denied, I can think of only one possibility. The file is already in your library (also check inbox node).
If that doesn't make sense, your library may not be up to date. I'd suggest running Tools> Advanced> Rescan all files command to see if that makes any differences to either of your existing tracks or the new tracks.
So it's not the tags

The inbox thing is empty, though I've literally never clicked that button and it took me a while to find it

And I did the rescan, nothing happened from what I can tell

Is there like some ignore function that turned itself on in MB?

http://puu.sh/yFFFm/073c8bbd39.png

This is making no sense and it's driving me nuts

hiccup

First make very sure they are not in your library.
(perhaps they are not grouped together with the other album songs for some other reason)
Look at the duration of the missing songs, set the panel view to track details, sort by track duration, and see if the tracks are not at the expected position.

Then, maybe the files are corrupt in some way?
(do they play at all when right-clicking 'play with musicbee'?)

To test if corruption might be an issue here, you could encode them to another format, and then try to re-import and see what happens.
(e.g. if they are flac, encode to mp3, if they are mp3, encode to flac)

Not as some definitive solution, but as a means to pinpoint the source of the problem.

redwing

I tried adding the new file manually and it didn't do anything. Drag and Drop gives me a crossed out symbol.

Your library is now updated. Then try locating the file using computer node of left navigator. Select the file> Right click> Send to, then do you see Music Library or Inbox is grayed out? If they are available, try selecting library to see what happens.

Is there like some ignore function that turned itself on in MB?

The only thing similar to that is Tools> Manage Duplicates. Check if any of those files are set to be hidden.

For missing files, I'd suggest the following:
- Use search box and enter track title or album or artist of those files. Make sure the search is for entire library by clicking on the magnifying glass icon. They might have been moved to another node from Music node somehow.
- Also search those files on your computer using a file manager or Windows explorer. If you find any of them, again check what node they are currently at using computer node of left navigator. That will tell you more about what's happening to your library.

bhk3

I really don't understand most of what you wrote, what's a node? I just open musicbee and click play and hope it adds my files, now I notice that files are missing. I used the search box but I never figured that the magnifying glass was a actual buttonand now I see the song. But...I don't know how MB can give me it as a result but it's still not in my library.

So 'local node' doesn't have the song, but when I click entire library it does. So everytime I open musicbee I'm only looking at one part of my library???? I switched from foobar to this because the other one is incredibly barebones and you have to build it piece by piece, but MB has been giving me headaches since day 1 with inane nonsense such as this. I just wanna play my music and have it sorted, I'm not deadmau5
Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:11:27 AM by bhk3

redwing

I don't blame you as it's part of MB's developer's fault. Left navigator should be shown when the program is first installed until new users fully understand how MB's working and learn how to hide it whey they don't need it anymore. I have raised the point several time to no avail.

If you, as a new user, want to learn MB as quickly as possible, show left navigator all the time. Then you will immediately understand what node means by noticing how the main panel responds to your selection in left navigator, what local search means as opposed to global search, and what each of the five tab header means.

As for your problem, I see two possibilities. One is those files are not consistently tagged, hence separated to another album. Check their tags using tag editor and tag inspector. The other is you have the same tracks with the same title and artist tag in other albums, thus they got hidden as duplicates. As I said, check Tools> Manage Duplicates for that.

bhk3

I totally purged my Musicbee from my computer and reinstalled it, I gained nearly 200+ tracks over what my total track count was from before, my missing songs are now there. I didn't do anything else other than a total cleanout of MB.

Guess I'll just treat MB like Windows, gains gunk through time for no reason and I'll have to reinstall it every 6 months like my OS.

Also

One is those files are not consistently tagged, hence separated to another album. Check their tags using tag editor and tag inspector.

Quote from: bhk3
I downloaded mp3tag to check and everything there is fine too.
Was never my tags, my manage duplicates thing was empty as well.

redwing

How do you import songs to MB? And was there any differences in that before and this time? And what version of Windows you're running?

bhk3

I...don't import? Not sure what you mean, I have a music folder and MB just reads that. Standard version of W10. I never change anything, only been using MB for a few months.

redwing

OK, so you're importing files just by having MB monitor folders. Still what happened to your library doesn't make any sense to me.
Keep your eye on those albums for a while to see if that's happening again.