Author Topic: What DNLA profile do I choose for my Teac NP-H750 network amp?  (Read 1103 times)

luxman

Hi there, I'm a new convert to MusicBee. I was hoping it would connect to my Teac network amp and was very pleased when (after downloading the UPnP plugin) I could select the amp as the output. Everything seems to be working well but in the plugin options I notice there is a choice of DNLA profiles. I'm not sure what is best to use with my Teac - and I do not know how the various options might effect the reproduction of the music. I'd be glad of any feedback on the subject. Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
The only way to really tell is through trial and error. Try each one and see which works and is to your liking.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

When you're using a receiver as a renderer and using MusicBee as the browser and server, does device profile even come into effect if you're not outputting as a continuous stream? 

Isn't it just sending the file over to the renderer for rendering?

luxman

Hi there, I am outputting as a continuous stream - that seems to be the way to play a complete album.

frankz

It's not the only way to play a complete album.  You should be able to play anything using either setting.  If you're outputting to a TV or other device where you get cover art and track names on the screen, continuous stream necessarily breaks those.

If you're using DLNA as a continuous stream it's going to transcode.  On a local network I'd recommend transcoding to WAV so you don't lose any quality (going to lossy) or unnecessarily tax your systems on the encoding and decoding end (going to lossless).  If your source files are normal 16/44.1 MP3s just transcode to WAV at the same sample rate as source.  Not sure if any of the profiles do this, but you can create one that does.

luxman

I have various audio file formats on my PC so the implication seems to be that if I do NOT choose "output as a continuous stream" then the files will just be sent over and played without transcoding. Despite the longer gap between tracks of an album is this the best approach? There would presumably be little point in trying to transcode a relatively low quality .mp3 to a better audio format.   I can see that I have a lot to learn....
Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:15:27 PM by luxman