Author Topic: Winamp "Classic Spectrum Analyzer" plugin with MusicBee  (Read 72287 times)

sveakul

What version and type (Installer, Windows Store, Portable) of MusicBee are you using?  When you installed the Spectrum, did you put all 3 elements (2 files and a folder) into the MusicBee "plugins" directory?  Did you be sure to whitelist all MusicBee folders in your antivirus application(s)?
Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:37:59 PM by sveakul

chainyk

sveakul

If you installed it according to the instructions given, then I'm out of ideas why you're not seeing a populated Properties GUI.  Running fine here with Windows 10 x64, MusicBee Portable 3.3.7455.

4evr4evr

This plugin is crashing for me on the latest MB version. I see the visualizer graph/bar for a few seconds before MB hangs.

Here's my OS/MB info:

Windows 10 Version 2004 [10.0.19041.450]
MusicBee Version 3.3.7491

I have all the required redists and even tried building from source myself using the original code and new libraries, no luck at all. Any ideas?

sveakul

I'm running it with MusicBee 3.4.7529 Portable and it's rock-stable--as it has been for me for the last couple of years now.  Windows 10 1909 x64.  What type of MB are you using--Installer, Portable, or Store?  In the Plugins folder, do you have two files named "vis_classic.ini" and "vis_classic.dll, AND a subfolder named "vis_classic"?  Is the entire MusicBee folder structure whitelisted in your antivirus?

If you're running other 3rd-party plugins, try disabling them one at a time and see if that has any effect.  Of course the "video drivers" cliché comes to mind also.

4evr4evr

I'm running it with MusicBee 3.4.7529 Portable and it's rock-stable--as it has been for me for the last couple of years now.  Windows 10 1909 x64.  What type of MB are you using--Installer, Portable, or Store?  In the Plugins folder, do you have two files named "vis_classic.ini" and "vis_classic.dll, AND a subfolder named "vis_classic"?  Is the entire MusicBee folder structure whitelisted in your antivirus?

If you're running other 3rd-party plugins, try disabling them one at a time and see if that has any effect.  Of course the "video drivers" cliché comes to mind also.

Using latest MB installer version, I also have all those files in the correct place you listed. And I use Windows Defender with it whitelisted (although this shouldn't make a difference since the DLL is loaded, but it just makes MusicBee hang).

No third-party plugins, fresh MB install and I'm using Nvidia drivers 451.67.

Is there a crash log somewhere that I can upload here?

sveakul

In MusicBee, drop Help/Support/View Error Log.  If there is an entry there for when the crash occured (i.e. not the whole log), copy that entry to a post here and maybe Steven can check if it contains any data that may point to why it crashes for you.

Has worked so well for me across both win 7 and 10 I can't imagine it's a MusicBee issue, but the log entry may provide a clue as to a potential clash with something else in your setup.

4evr4evr

In MusicBee, drop Help/Support/View Error Log.  If there is an entry there for when the crash occured (i.e. not the whole log), copy that entry to a post here and maybe Steven can check if it contains any data that may point to why it crashes for you.

Has worked so well for me across both win 7 and 10 I can't imagine it's a MusicBee issue, but the log entry may provide a clue as to a potential clash with something else in your setup.

Seems like it's not a normal crash, it's crashing with windows and not internally (i.e. the app doesnt close instantly). I might have to use an x86 debugger to narrow it down.

xc

I'm not able to resize it... I have the visualiser menu bar but can't move it up and down on this or any visualiser. I'm on version 3.4.7586. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

sveakul

I'm not able to resize it... I have the visualiser menu bar but can't move it up and down on this or any visualiser. I'm on version 3.4.7586. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Here on 3.4.7597 Portable, with Visualiser window at the bottom of the Right Sidebar, resizes vertically fine.  What panel do you have it mounted on?  Bottom Panel should be fine too, those are the two I have used.  You have to "grab" the top border of the bar with the mouse at the spot where you suddenly see the up/down arrows when you mouse over the line, which can be hard to see depending on the skin.

sveakul

Just found out that this plugin has been newly resurrected by raul as the "Classic Spectrum Analyzer!"  From raul on the MusicBee Add-Ons section (https://getmusicbee.com/addons/visualizer/368/classic-spectrum-analyzer/):  "Accurate, detailed, customizable spectrum analyzer. I decided to resurrect this plug-in that I originally coded in 1998."

The new vis_classic.dll was modified 12/12/2021 and is 88,064 bytes;  the one this thread was originally created about was modified 4/29/2007 and is 32,768 bytes, so there has definitely been a change.  The latter was posted by "Prowler7" on forums.winamp.com on May 7, 2007.  Whether "our" raul and Prowler7 are the same person, I do not know.

The settings/options all seem identical, so just replacing the dll and keeping your exsiting vis_classic.ini and its related profile folder should be all you need to do to "update."  However, there are a lot more "stock" profiles (35) included so I recommend adding those as well--be sure not to overwrite whatever profile you are using now or you would need to start from scratch.

I welcome raul to post about any improvements he has made to the actual dll;  I'm running it now with the new components and all seems stable.
Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:02:45 AM by sveakul

chova

Hi everyone,

So I'm basically posting this for anyone experiencing similar issues.

I did a fresh install of MB (portable since it and my library is on an external SSD), and only added a couple of lyric source plugins and a few visualizers.

This one didn't seem to work for me, I can open it and view it just fine when I click on MusicBee > View > Start Visualizer - however right clicking it creates a transparent context menu which turns black as soon as I click anywhere else on MB and then it just freezes.

The music will keep playing just fine but I can't do anything until I force close MB.

I tried this method but at first - and only at first - I got the same error as in this gif. After that I can add the panel anywhere and I don't see any class errors, however the right click just doesn't work anymore while the visualizer is in the (bottom atm) panel. It only shows if I have it in a dedicated visualizer tab, and as soon as it does show, transparently, anything else I do will crash MB.

I also removed all of my other visualizers in the meanwhile - the Arrange Panels window did freeze multiple times while I was trying it out, and I think removing other visualizers might have fixed this but I'm not 100% certain. It froze differently than the context menu glitch - as that one will cause the program to not respond according to Windows, and the Arrange Panels issue just caused MB to become unresponsive, however Windows felt like everything was fine :P

Then I randomly tried switching the visualizer in the bottom panel from CSA to some default one, and when I switched back to CSA - the right click was magically working, the properties window would appear, and I could even right click it in the Visualizer tab (however this tab looks weird now since the bottom panel is showing there too, albeit empty)

Also, I thought the Now Playing was mostly hardcoded but the bottom panel now shows there too, with a header unfortunately, but it's there nonetheless.

So, in conclusion, I'm not sure what exactly I did but now it works and hopefully this helps someone with a similar problem   ::)

boroda

Also, I thought the Now Playing was mostly hardcoded but the bottom panel now shows there too, with a header unfortunately, but it's there nonetheless.
click on word  "visualizer" at panel header and select "hide panel header".

chova

click on word  "visualizer" at panel header and select "hide panel header".
Yep that did it, not sure how I missed it. Thanks!

Did you manage to get it working on your end?