Author Topic: Disable Drag & Dropping files into Track Panel  (Read 1455 times)

nanoshinonome

Hi,  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

I moved from using WMP to MusicBee earlier this year. I'm fairly picky on what I want in a music player. Using the correct plugins WMP has always served me well. However, I was really tired of having my eyes burned by the whitish blue of WMP.

MusicBee was the only player that had file exploring functionality in a way I could digest. It's not what I exactly am used to, but I can learn to like it. It also looks great and sexy, so whoever designed the UI kudos to them.

After using it for a few days something strange seemed to happen. At times I would see files appear in music folders that should not have been there. For example Boards of Canada tracks would suddenly appear in a Loscil album folder and I could not explain how they got there. I blamed myself for being too quick when sorting new libraries and music and was too quick on the ctrlc then ctrlv.

This evening I learned through accidentally dragging and dropping a file into the Track Listing it was actually physically moving my files through Windows Explorer to the destination. This explains why some of my files were being moved, what I have done in the past was to add a music file to my playlist I would move the track in windows explorer to the Media Player, which would add it to the Now Playing list. However this is not the case in Music Bee.

I don't mind learning how to drag and drop to the playlist in order to add the track I want to the current playlist. What I do mind is MusicBee moving my files without notification through its interface.

Is there a way I can disable dragging an dropping into the track list? I will never want to organize my library through MusicBee nor will I ever want to drag and drop a file from anywhere into a folder through MusicBee.

Thanks for reading
Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:01:59 AM by nanoshinonome

redwing

It's up to where you drag files from and drop to. Can you explain a bit more about what exactly you're doing? Also, screenshots would be helpful that would show your current layout.

And I don't think there's such an option that disables drag and drop.

nanoshinonome

Well it's also up to developers in how the functionality of MusicBee works, which they may intend for users to be able to move files through their explorer. I understand that, but I was not aware of this at all.

Expected functionality was to drag an drop a file into the player, in the Tracks section, and it would be added to now playing (the Playing Tracks). Functionality is that it moved the file because I was drag and dropping into an the track/explorer screen.

If that's how it was intended, then so be it. I'm looking for a way to disable that. If the answer is just "deal with it" - then okay, I'm going back to WMP. RIP my eyes and maybe the new winamp will be better.

Here is a picture of my layout. I actually moved my Playing Tracks below my Tracks to help me not accidentally move files into my Tracks panel.

What I don't like about this is that now my artwork is alone in the top right and it feels rather repetitive to have tracks on top and playing tracks right below it. There will sometimes be times where I will move a file in a wrong place anyways. Preferably I would like my layout to look like this.

Is there a way to disable dragging and dropping? If not that's alright. I'll just recommend the feature in the wish list forum and be on my way.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can't disable that particular function, but you could drag the tracks into Now Playing in the left navigator instead of the right panel, I think
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Still it's not clear to me where you're dragging files from, but I assume you're dragging files from Windows Explorer and drop to MB's main panel (what you referred to as "Tracks list". The "Tracks" on the top is one of the views. Click on the button and you will see other views and settings).

If so, let me tell you what's going on. The main panel shows music files contained in the node that is currently selected in left navigator. Because you're using computer node, the main panel behaves just like Windows Explorer. So if you're dropping any files to the main panel, the files will be physically moved to the folder that is currently selected in left navigator (they get MOVED because they're on the same drive. If the source/destination folders are on different drives, the files will get COPIED instead by drag and drop).

So unless you're trying to move/copy files across folders, do not drag and drop files to the main panel when you're using computer node of left navigator.

But drag and drop to the "Playing Tracks list" won't move files physically. It's simply adding tracks to the list.
A better way to add tracks to the playing tracks list is select files in the main panel> right click> queue next / last.
Also take a look at Preferences> Now Playing> "Play Now" action settings. By default, if you double click on any file in the main panel, it adds all tracks from the track to the playing tracks list. But you can adjust the setting by configuring "Play Now" options.

nanoshinonome

You can't disable that particular function, but you could drag the tracks into Now Playing in the left navigator instead of the right panel, I think

Thanks for the info. I'll add it to the wishlist forum and head back to WMP. I figured this was the answer, which is understandable. If that's what MusicBee wants to force users to do then that's their decision.