Author Topic: Can I automate the backup process?  (Read 1891 times)

cag8f

Hello.  I have just backed up my settings per the http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore.  Is there a feature within MusicBee that can carry out this backup automatically, on a regular basis?  Or do I have to do this manually once a week? 

It would be nice if automation was possible for both settings and media.  But in this case, I would be happy with an automated backup of settings only.

Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
Hello.  I have just backed up my settings per the http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore.  Is there a feature within MusicBee that can carry out this backup automatically, on a regular basis?  Or do I have to do this manually once a week?  
Manual only at this point. If there was a command line for MB backups you can use any Win Scheduler to perform the backup.

It would be nice if automation was possible for both settings and media.  But in this case, I would be happy with an automated backup of settings only.
You should post both of these to the wishlist section for future consideration.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

cag8f

OK thanks for that.  I've posted to the wishlist forum.

cag8f

Actually @phred, I have a follow-up question.  If I wanted to backup my settings outside of MusicBee, would I just need to backup my AppData Folder?  If so, then I can automate that with Windows and/or a third party program.

Thanks.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Actually @phred, I have a follow-up question.  If I wanted to backup my settings outside of MusicBee, would I just need to backup my AppData Folder?  If so, then I can automate that with Windows and/or a third party program.
Thanks.

For backup, I used to use the simple Synctoy but for better configuration, FreeFileSync - both free..
You should also backup settings, plugins, playlists etc.  In MB program folder..
No real need to auto-backup unless you know things have successfully been changed, you may have inadvertently updated something that you didn't mean to....

Fred  ;)
Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:05:03 PM by Fred Barker [DIVERSITY FM]

cag8f

Thanks for that.

>> No real need to auto-backup unless you know things have successfully been changed, you may have inadvertently updated something that you didn't mean to....

Well several times a week I make edits to meta data on several podcasts.  In addition, I create new bookmarks from those podcasts, and add new songs to my music library (including editing their meta data).  It's really the podcast meta data (specifically, the 'Rating' and the 'Grouping' fields), and the bookmarks that have taken me a long time to curate.  Losing them would be bad.  In a previous post I ascertained that the bookmarks are stored in the AppData directory.  But what about the podcast meta data--do you know where that is stored?  Is that attached to each podcast file itself?  Or is it stored in another file I need to backup?

redwing

I'd recommend you backup all MB folders (then skins, codecs and plugins too will be backed up) and MB library files folder (this one contains your podcast files and metadata in MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file you mentioned). Just exclude internal cache folder inside AppData folder as it's not necessary. Music files folder is up to you.

cag8f

OK thanks very much for that.  I just backed up my MuicBee folders, per your suggestion.

>> and MB library files folder (this one contains your podcast files and metadata in MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file you mentioned).

Where is this .mbl file that you mentioned?  It sounds important, and I want to be sure I back it up.  But I do not see it in my library folder.  I have ensured that hidden files are displayed.

Thanks!

redwing

Go to Preferences> Library settings and click on "Move Library" button on the top right corner. It will show its current location.

cag8f

OK I see it now.  It is in my default Windows 'Sound' library.  I'll be sure to back it up--thanks.