Author Topic: Difference between auto-organize and auto-sweep?  (Read 4060 times)

noorhassan

I read up on the Help/FAQ about this but still can't seem to grasp the difference between the auto-organize and auto-sweep functions.

Could someone please explain the difference between the two? Both options appear under the "Library" tab in Preferences.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
"Automatically sweep and organize new files" is applied when a file is first added to MusicBee (thus, new), but won't do anything to files already added.  It can be applied to the inbox as well as the library.

Auto-organize continuously organizes files in Library/Audiobooks/Video, but not the Inbox.  If tags used in the organization template change, the filename or path is automatically changed.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

noorhassan

Thanks!

Could you also clarify what I'm seeing in the "Organisation" dialog box in front of the auto-organize checkbox?

The first rule in the dialog box essentially says "move music on drive C to [my music library folder]"

Does that mean enabling it will make it add all the mp3/music files on my C drive to my music library folder? (because that's not what I want)

Also the header for the dialog box says "Define the rules for organising files in your library - files not in your library are excluded." I am a bit confused now as to what a library even is as defined by MB? Is it a folder I point it to or what?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The first rule in the dialog box essentially says "move music on drive C to [my music library folder]"

Does that mean enabling it will make it add all the mp3/music files on my C drive to my music library folder? (because that's not what I want)

Also the header for the dialog box says "Define the rules for organising files in your library - files not in your library are excluded." I am a bit confused now as to what a library even is as defined by MB? Is it a folder I point it to or what?

Auto-organize ONLY affects files that are in your library, that's what "files not in your library are excluded" means.  The library is only files you have added/scanned into MusicBee manually or that have been scanned from a monitored folder, and they have to show up under Music or Audiobooks or Video; it doesn't include Inbox or Podcasts (podcasts have their own organization system). No other files will be affected.

Within your library, files located on each drive are handled separately.  The C: means files found on C: will be organized using that template (which can include being moved to another drive).  When you set up a template, you should see the proposed file changes in the bottom panel of the organize window, so you can be sure it's doing what you want.  You can also test with a manual organization, before setting up auto-organize.
Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:49:36 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

noorhassan

Auto-organize ONLY affects files that are in your library, that's what "files not in your library are excluded" means.  The library is only files you have added/scanned into MusicBee manually or that have been scanned from a monitored folder, and they have to show up under Music or Audiobooks or Video; it doesn't include Inbox or Podcasts (podcasts have their own organization system). No other files will be affected.

Within your library, files located on each drive are handled separately.  The C: means files found on C: will be organized using that template (which can include being moved to another drive).  When you set up a template, you should see the proposed file changes in the bottom panel of the organize window, so you can be sure it's doing what you want.  You can also test with a manual organization, before setting up auto-organize.

Thanks a lot! Makes sense now.