Author Topic: Album Types (LP's ; EP's ; Singles ; Compilations, etc.)  (Read 97182 times)

johnmillsjr

Thanks johnmillsjr  :)
It's what I suspected.
Change the custom sorting from 'Album/ Grouping' to 'Grouping/ Album' and it should work correctly.

Still not ordering LP and Live correctly

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Talk about having to jump through hoops  ::)

Worked out 'Group By' sorts on the value of the tag after any processing by virtual tag
'Sub Grouping' sorts on the value before  :-X

@johnmillsjr
Because you don't use Album Artist, had to do some major re-thinking on this!

You will need to create a virtual tag (NAA [No Album Artist] maybe?) with the formula
Code
" "

You can go back to just sorting by Album
Set your 'Group By' to the new virtual tag
Set 'Sub Grouping' to VirtualGrouping

If this doesn't work then I'm out of ideas :P
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

johnmillsjr

Talk about having to jump through hoops  ::)

Worked out 'Group By' sorts on the value of the tag after any processing by virtual tag

@johnmillsjr
Because you don't use Album Artist, had to do some major re-thinking on this!

You will need to create a virtual tag (NAA [No Album Artist] maybe?) with the formula
Code
" "

You can go back to just sorting by Album
Set your 'Group By' to the new virtual tag
Set 'Sub Grouping' to VirtualGrouping

If this doesn't work then I'm out of ideas :P

It won't save " " as a virtual Tag

Bee-liever

It won't save " " as a virtual Tag
It does save it.
MB just removes the quotes from around the space when it saves.

johnmillsjr

SUCCESS

Thank you for all of your help. It's too bad we can't make the headers bigger. I'm going to make a wishlish post to see if Steven can make this all a but more simpler by adding better ordering support for groupings

hiccup

I don't understand.
Do you mean sub-grouping doesn't use or process the result of a virtual tag?
Could you explain this a bit more?

Bee-liever

SUCCESS

So good to see that little word!

'Sub Grouping' sorts on the value before  :-X

I don't understand.
Do you mean sub-grouping doesn't use or process the result of a virtual tag?
Could you explain this a bit more?

Using johnmillsjr's VirtualGrouping as an example
Code
$If($First(<Grouping>)="G1","Boxset",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G2","Broadcast",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G3","LP",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G4","Live",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G5","Post Release",)))))

'Group By' and 'Sub Grouping' both sort alphabetically.
'Group By' sorts and displays the processed value of the virtual tag:
Boxset
Broadcast
Live
LP
Post Release

'Sub Grouping' sorts by the original value of the tag and the displays the processed value:
sorts as
G1
G2
G3
G4
G5
and displays
Boxset
Broadcast
LP
Live
Post Release

hiccup

'Sub Grouping' sorts by the original value of the tag and the displays the processed value:

I don't think that is what is happening, and it also might qualify as a strange bug if that was the case.
The sorting order is most likely a result of having 'grouping' as a sorting factor somewhere.
Anyway, enough confusion for now, the one asking for help has the result he was looking for, so all's fine.

johnmillsjr

SUCCESS

It's too bad we can't make the headers bigger. I'm going to make a wishlish post to see if Steven can make this all a but more simpler by adding better ordering support for groupings

Nevermind, I was doing it slightly wrong- Have it working at 100% as intended!

johnmillsjr

SUCCESS

It's too bad we can't make the headers bigger. I'm going to make a wishlish post to see if Steven can make this all a but more simpler by adding better ordering support for groupings

Nevermind, I was doing it slightly wrong- Have it working at 100% as intended!

Nevermind, I was tired and blind- Live and LP doesn't sort in right order, will revert back to your suggestion before and 'undelete' my wish list post

johnmillsjr

I finally fixed it.

How could I add a null value for albums with no grouping?

Bee-liever

I finally fixed it.

How could I add a null value for albums with no grouping?
What was your final solution?

What grouping formula are you now using?

johnmillsjr

Before I answer that, I would like to ask another question, as I want to change something that may affect my answer:

My BoxSets grouping is mainly for 45s/78s etc under one album tag (to stop there being 2000 thumbnails!). Is it possible that I could break tracks with that Boxset Grouping (that I might rename to 45sand78s or something if this works!) up into Thumbnails based on their Albumartist tag- but only have the AlbumArtist tag (and another virtual tag I wanted to ask you about*) displayed below the thumbnails
in the same Album Covers View view-and then be able to delete the Album tag for those tracks all together

....but....for LPs (which have a LP grouping), use and only display the album and * tag under the thumbnail and not AlbumArtist

*I want to make a year-span tag based on the releasesortindex that contains the the earliest year followed by a dash followed by the last 2 digits of the latest year based on that thumbnail's tracks. Using a virtual tag would automate/auto update the yearspan when tracks are re-organised at any point

To summarize:

-I want to break my "Boxsets" grouping tracks into thumbnails based on Album Artist and delete their Album Tag
-I want to display a virtual tag dirived from releasesortindex with the yearspan of the Recordings of each albumartist as the first year and the 2 digits of the latest year 19##-##
-Display other groupings/ LP thumbnails with Album and yearspan

Bee-liever

To summarize:

-I want to break my "Boxsets" grouping tracks into thumbnails based on Album Artist and delete their Album Tag
-I want to display a virtual tag dirived from releasesortindex with the yearspan of the Recordings of each albumartist as the first year and the 2 digits of the latest year 19##-##
-Display other groupings/ LP thumbnails with Album and yearspan

Yes, it should be possible (I think) but I would still need the answers to:
What was your final solution?

What grouping formula are you now using?
as a starting point to help you work forward from.

johnmillsjr

Grouping Virtual Tag:
Code
$If($First(<Grouping>)="G1",Boxsets,$If($First(<Grouping>)="G2",Broadcasts,$If($First(<Grouping>)="G3",LPs,$If($First(<Grouping>)="G4",Performances,$If($First(<Grouping>)="G5","Post Releases",)))))

I changed Live to performances, I just was not able to make it order by the G1...G2 I think it's a bug honestly

Sort By Virtual Grouping/Album

Group By Virtual Grouping

For some reason it didn't need that No Album Artist tag anymore to stop it breaking up Albums (which I want to happen now- I meant before I had this idea) Not even gonna question it
Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:28:10 PM by johnmillsjr