Author Topic: drag & drop bug (?): moving files instead of copying  (Read 3886 times)

HHM

as far as I remember drag&drop of files used to work as copy-file command. i don't know if it's the change in MusicBee or Windows 10 itself but since a few weeks I've noticed that it started to move files.

this is very annoying: imagine droping a file from MB to your phone folder fe. (I know there's a sync option of course but it's not the point here) - the files gets moved to a phone and you don't have it on computer anymore!

and imagine how much trouble it costs when you want to drag&drop multiple files from a playlist (especially containing files from different directories).

can sth be done about it?

best,
Piotr

Steven

• Administrator
are you dragging the file from a playlist?
if yes then i cant reproduce the issue ie. the file is copied to the device

also what is the full path of the file on your local PC and also the full path on the device
Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:43:59 PM by Steven

HHM

OK, at first I was confused cause I couldn't have reproduce it as well :--)

But I've found the issue: it concerns tracks that are not added to a library.

Steven

• Administrator
that is what i tested as well

what is the full path of the file on your local PC and also the full path on the device

HHM

I was checking it with drag&drop on desktop.

Right now d&d to the music folders of my android phone causes no effect (both with library and non-library files)

Here's the exeplary (non-library) file address:
C:\Users\piotr\Downloads\complete\Cults - Offering.mp3

and my phone music folder address:
Computer\Redmi 4\mass storage\Music

Steven

• Administrator
I am not able to reproduce any issues or see how it would be possible for MB to move the file from your computer to the device.
Its still not precisely clear to me what you are doing so if you are able to provide detailed steps i will look at it one more time but otherwise i will leave it unsolved

HHM

OK, here's my way step by step

1. in the original post I was a bit wrong: somehow I didn't remember that for quite a long time I cannot drag&drop my files from MB to my mobile's music folders. IT JUST TAKES NO EFFECT!

2. and so my workaround for not working d&d between MB and mobile folders is that I copy them from MB (plyalists/now playing) to my desktop first

3. and then move those desktop files to music folders on my phone

4. and at some point I realised that when I'm copying files from MB to the desktop, files started to be moved instead of being copied.

5. and today I've found out that this is the matter of non-library files: files that belong to the library are being copied to the desktop, those that don't belong to the library are moved.

Steven

• Administrator
you still arent really clearly saying what you are doing in musicbee. eg. in step 2 you drag a file from a playlist to the desktop node in the computer section of musicbee or directly to the windows desktop?
I would think you are probably causing the file to be moved at this point.

I am going to leave this unsolved as i dont have time

HHM

you still arent really clearly saying what you are doing in musicbee. eg. in step 2 you drag a file from a playlist to the desktop node in the computer section of musicbee or directly to the windows desktop?

directly to the windows desktop

phred

• Global Moderator
If you hold the control key down while you're dragging from MB to your desktop, the file will be -copied.- If you don't hold down the control key, the file will be -moved.-

You should see a pop-up bubble indicating if the file is being moved or copied. I don't recall when Steven added this, but it appears when using 3.1, so if you're not on 3.1 now, see my sig.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

lamensterms

Hey guys,

I'm having a similar issue, but only related to MusicBee & Directory Opus.

I am able to drag & drop COPY into windows explorer, when holding down CTRL.  No problem.

I cannot drag & drop COPY or MOVE into Directory Opus.  It does nothing.  This used to work with DOpus the same as explorer, until I updated to latest version of MusicBee (previous version was an older one, can't remember exactly which version sorry).

Has the drag & drop function been changed in the last few versions?

Music file lives at:
D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Like Moths To Flames\Dark Divine\01 New Plagues.mp3

Trying to drag & copy to:
D:\Music\_Google Play Music

Thanks for any help

SergeyBraz

Guys, that should not work this way (I mean this should not move files by default) - this is awkward.
Can you make "Copy" as the default action?

frankz

Why would copy be the default action?  Most people do everything they can to avoid duplicates in their library, not default to creating more.

If you're going to create duplicate files, you should have to undertake a willful action to do so IMO.

Synching is for copying files to devices and drives.  The default for file manipulation actions should be moving and preserving one copy in the library.

ma_t14

Guys, that should not work this way (I mean this should not move files by default) - this is awkward.
Can you make "Copy" as the default action?

On the contrary, MusicBee follows the standard windows behaviour. In windows explorer dragging and dropping a file from one path to another on the same drive results in the file being moved.

coolguy8

Going to have to necro this thread, I've searched for similar topics but none are active.
Default behavior in Windows File Explorer is irrelevant, dragging a track from MusicBee to my desktop should NOT move the original file from wherever it's located to the desktop.
I have used foobar2000 for years and recently switched to MusicBee. The default behavior in that application is to copy when a track is dragged elsewhere. On numerous occasions I have accidentally fat-fingered a file onto my desktop from foobar2000 but I have never thought about it since I knew it had merely copied the file. The same just happened to me in MusicBee and I was scratching my head wondering where the track went. I deleted the file from my desktop without a thought as I expected it to be a copy. Very glad I keep backups. ;)
Even if this continues to be default behavior, please give me an option to switch the move and copy drag & drop functions!