Author Topic: Option to revert to the old "Shuffle With Higher Rated Tracks First" Algorithm  (Read 1487 times)

SmashTheState

I recently swapped to MusicBee after my previous music player started to strain under the weight of ~1500 tracks (not many by most standards I'm sure but still). So far I'm liking it rather a lot and have it mostly set up how I like but I've noticed that turning on the "higher rated tracks preferred" option in Preferences - Now Playing almost never plays anything rated below three starts. Apparently this was not the case previously as per https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=21447.0 (I've not tried the fix provided in that thread since I do not know if it's compatible with the current version and there is no guarantee of it being compatible with all future versions anyway). Would it be possible to get a simple option to switch between the old algorithm and the new one or even better to get a slider like the different-same artist one that currently exists?

Additionally is there any way to easily see the existing algorithm or even edit it myself? I'd like to know if one star is even less commonly played than two and so on and if I can just mess with it in a text editor or similar there's no problem (it might be a good thing to document somewhere though). I suppose messing with the more advanced playlist features might help here but if there already exists an option like this and an old algorithm doing it it seems silly not to add it (I'll grant I do not know too much about development but the work looks to already be done and all).

One other note is that I could not easily find the method to change which columns are displayed in a given tab in the documentation, I eventually worked out it was 'right click - set displayed fields'. It's more than likely I just missed it but google turns up nothing useful unless you already know the option is called 'set displayed fields'.

Otherwise I'm very much enjoying MusicBee, in particular I like that you've left in simple options for grumpy users such as myself to enable the more old-fashioned UI options (e.g. showing the Main Menu in Caption Bar instead of just as a modern button) instead of forcing me to look for a custom skin to do it instead.
Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:40:01 PM by SmashTheState

Nokiaman

Yeah that's something that annoys me too. There really should be a way to set the "chance" of it playing lower-rated tracks.