Author Topic: Chiptune/ tracker module support  (Read 7053 times)

metroandroid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Started with just the files that I had tried but added some more in various more common formats from different sites, so that you can test and refer to them later as needed. Some have multiple subsongs within each file (certain .nsf and .gbs files for instance). Wasn't sure if it supports minipsf/2 or miniusf (all usf rips are miniusf+usflib, many psf rips are minipsf+psflib, and relatively fewer psf2 rips are minipsf2+psf2lib), so I added those in too. I was able to confirm all play correctly in XMPlay except for possibly the .gym files (didn't have the plugin for those), but .gym has been obsoleted by .vgm and are harder to find nowadays.

Example files

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 30993
I played a random selection of those linked tracks without issue. Make sure basszxtune.dll is in the same folder as MusicBee.exe. Also check you have the C runtime installed (eg. MSVCRT.DLL in your windows system32 folder)

metroandroid

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
I have msvcrt.dll in system32, have MSVC++ Redistributables installed, basszxtune.dll is in the same folder as MusicBee.exe, tried using the installer instead of portable, tried just the .dll on its own and then including the 3.3 patch (not sure if supposed to use or outdated) on the latest version, it still doesn't work. Streamed music still plays fine.

Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:29:02 PM by metroandroid

vagrant

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Hi Steven, I'm having exactly the same problem as metroandroid - none of the filetypes are recognized.
I have the portable version installed with basszxtune.dll in its root directory, and C runtimes are installed.. same error as above.
Tested with .sid and .pt3 files.
Also I noticed there is no reference to these filetypes in configuration.xml

ner0p

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
A similar situation here.
This is the first time I'm trying to play chiptunes in MusicBee, I'm using the latest version along with basszxtune v2.4.9 (win-x86_64), some chiptune formats work, others don't.
For example, XM files play fine but SID do not, says the file format is unsupported or corrupted.

Here's an example: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0funvo5pefd8s07/The_Beatles_Hey_Jude.sid/file

vagrant

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
XM, mod, it, s3m and a few others were already supported in the base build, only the filetypes associated with basszxtune.dll aren't working.

oxysoft

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Also not working for me in the latest version MusicBee 3.3.7310 P with the basszxtune 2.49 dll in the same folder. None of the file extensions supported by basszxtune seem to be recognized, neither in library nor manually by dragging into 'now playing'. vgm, vgz, etc. I did a clean portable install to make sure nothing is wrong with my configuration. Sucks, I really want to save space by using these pure sound chip formats instead of blowing up the file sizes with destructive MP3.

Alsweider

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 48
I have tried to import a collection of .SID files and various tracker files (.MOD, .XM, .S3M, .SC68), all in all about 58000 files (1 GB), mainly the High Voltage SID Collection. The rescanning of my music library folders, now including the new files, caused the importer to freeze (every time at 75806 of 95736 files scanned, 32480 new files added) and once I even got a System.OutOfMemoryException error in the log. The problem could be either the amount of files, or the basszxtune.dll not recognising a specific format (I found that .SC68 files are not imported), or a specific file in one of the folders, I don't know. I only know that without the chiptune/tracker folders the scan runs through without any problem. I have cancelled the process because nothing moved for an hour. Cancelling lead to another error message: A background process could not be closed. I restarted MusicBee as recommended and tried to scan my music folder again. This didn't improve anything, I couldn't import all of the tunes.  

Now for the files that were actually imported: Playable were .MOD, .XM and .S3M files and scrobbling to Last.fm works for the files with proper tags and the appropriate duration > 30 seconds.
.SID files were imported as well, but they can neither be played nor scrobbled. Trying to play a .SID leads to an error message stating it's either an unsupported format or a broken file, which I can easily falsify: Using Foobar2000 with SID Decoder caused no problem at all and the Audioscrobbler did scrobble the .SID tracks properly.