Author Topic: Upgrading from version 2.0.4663 (2012) to the current version -any concerns?  (Read 1372 times)

ancym

Yes, well, what can i say, I love Music Bee & even the old version is better than anything else I have tried.

But, I have left it so long that I am not sure that I can just update using the installer for the latest version...is there anything that I need to do to make sure things don't get weird? Just spent way too much time re-organizing files so I would hate to mess up my library. Is there a safer way to install/update?

(I did search the forum first, but the only reference I found to updating was from version 2.5, and the post was missing.)

Thanks

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
There has been some major changes to MB in that time; changing from NET2.0 to NET4.0 and the complete interface update in MB3.0 are two that I can think of right away.
My suggestion would be to do it in steps:
All the versions are available here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0
Start with the last 2.1 full installer and work your way forward to 3.0, checking the consistency of your files after each update.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ancym

Thanks (ugh) I am sure you are correct, just was hoping to avoid this. Anyway, I am downloading the old versions, and I see that the installers for versions 2.3 etc. are only available on mediafire, as incremental updates...the musicbee hosted files are missing...I just wanted to check that this is for hosting concerns, not because the files should not be used...right?

Steven

• Administrator
just run the v3.1 full installer from the downloads page. You will lose your layout settings but its easy to reconstruct via the Panel Layout dialog

ancym

This worked (mostly). Thanks! Brilliant!

(Mostly =  I installed version 3.0.6335, the version on the download page that is not the beta version, and so  have confirmed that inbox count bug that was patched back in May).  Thanks again!

ancym

well something has gone wrong. After upgrading (from 2.0.4663) to version 3, update 5 ( 3.0.6335), everything seemed fine except for the inbox count bug. (there is a post in May about it, with a patch, but the unpatched version is linked as the current release, btw)

So, then I installed 3.1.6388, using the installer, and now MusicBee does not open at all. Then I tried installing the beta version, and then going back to 3.0.6335 - still no Music Bee....

The MusicBee.exe file in Program Files is version 3.1.6338.33699 (6442 KB) after all that so does not appear to be installing the other versions I guess?

Not sure what to try?

Thanks
Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:19:46 PM by ancym

ancym

ok tried Patched version, and now Music Bee opens again, but all of my files are marked with the blue exclamation point...what is happening?

thanks

edit:
oh the version that opens is the shortcut from clicking on mp3 files, version 3.0.6347. 

The version that is in ProgramFiles(x86) doesn't open, 3.1.6338. Too many versions around, confusing, sorry.

Does it matter where the installer is, should it be in the Music Bee folder?

This actually happened before I upgraded in the first place. Trying to be cautious, I copied the files in the Library folder (not the music files, all of the other ones) to another folder, and that is when the blue exclamation points first showed up. I decide, oh well,  I would upgrade then, and, lo & behold, the files showed up as in the library. All was well except for the inbox count. Then when I installed the more recent versions, Music Bee stopped opening completely. 

Now, I have a version that opens, but it doesn't have the library. 
That is, it has the correct path, and it still knows the Date added (which is what I hope to retain), but they are not in the Library anymore. Is there are way to get them into the library with the original Date added?

Does this make any sense at all?
Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:16:34 PM by ancym

Steven

• Administrator
i have no idea what you did to get it in the state it is. If you want to preserve the playcounts then enable automatic export of an iTunes xml file in the library preferences.
Check the exported file and correct the file paths and then you can import that into a new MB library