Author Topic: Better skip silence funtion?  (Read 17585 times)

beeing good

Steven, I'm uploading a file now, will PM you in a couple of minutes.

Steven

• Administrator
for the track you sent, where do you consider the ending silence point to be?
looking at it using audacity, there is sound almost right to the end but at a very low and MB is skipping according to the parameters it set to but i can see its a little too agressive and in the file is cutting the ending 7 secs
Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:09:29 AM by Steven

beeing good

I'm not sure, I haven't looked at it in an editor but I know that the violin (or whatever the instrument is) gets cut off before it finishes the final note. It may not be the best example because, as you say, it is very quiet but I have noticed it a few times. I'll keep if turned on a listen out for another example if that will help.

Steven

• Administrator

beeing good

Cypher

It's way better now, however it still cut some ends, especially if there is a song without silence in the end. But there is way less end-cutting now.

Steven

• Administrator
there is a bug which will truncate 1 millisecond from the end so i have fixed that. But it sounds like it might be something more, so perhaps if after the next update its still not quite right then send me one of the files

Steven

• Administrator

Nick

+1 to this request

I don't like using the included skip silence feature because it's too aggressive for my tastes and all I really just want is to skip ahead in songs with hidden tracks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_track

Zak

• Global Moderator
You could use MP3DirectCut to edit the file and make the hidden track a separate file.
Bee excellent to each other...

Nick

You could use MP3DirectCut to edit the file and make the hidden track a separate file.

That's something I'd really like to avoid. As suggested in the original post, Foobar2000 is able to do this without altering files. I think Winamp can do it too.
Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:47:44 PM by Nick

blackwind

+1. As Nick notes, this is an essential feature for hidden tracks. If you'd prefer not to add extra settings, Steven, fb2k's defaults of 5000ms and -60dB are sane ones. Even at 1000ms and -40dB, I don't get any false positives whatsoever.
/bw

Anti

I don't quite understand why you guys don't just edit these files properly in Audacity?

For instance, even if Steven fixed this feature, if you export the file to your mp3 player
or a SD-card/USB-stick for another device, surely the silence will still be there?

Also, wasn't this 'secret song' idiocy something that died out in the nineties?

Pingaware

I don't quite understand why you guys don't just edit these files properly in Audacity?

For instance, even if Steven fixed this feature, if you export the file to your mp3 player
or a SD-card/USB-stick for another device, surely the silence will still be there?

This. You can properly update tags and do many other things by simply splitting them up.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

blackwind

There are those who prefer their music be preserved exactly how it was on the disc -- anal retentives, lazy bastards, scene release collectors...

Valid, but preserving the integrity of my library is more important to me than missing a hidden track while I'm driving, and it seems I'm not the only one.

Also, wasn't this 'secret song' idiocy something that died out in the nineties?

Seems like it, but there are enough of them in my library to warrant taking the time to make my case.

As in my queue system thread, I appreciate that some people prefer to work in a certain way and can't fathom why the rest of us don't, but why not include an option to satisfy both parties?
/bw