Author Topic: MusicBee Player Volume Control Question  (Read 5118 times)

ArthurDaniels

I have my "business" laptop connected to a Peachtree DACiTx External DAC via a USB cable.  I have a pair of headphones connected to the DACiTx Line Out.  I have two music management software systems loaded into my PC -- MusicBee and MusiCHI.  Both MusicBee and MusiCHI players have an on-screen volume control.

When I listen via the headphones, the maximum volume level available from the MusicBee Player is much lower that the maximum volume level available from the MusiCHI player.

This question has nothing to do with the fact that I am listening to headphones via the DACiTx Line Out connector.  I notice the same large volume disparity when I connect the DACiTx Line Out to an external 2.1 Logitech powered speaker system.

Other than the on-screen volume control at the bottom of the MusicBee player screen, I have not been able to find another setting within the MusicBee program which will increase the volume level.

I would like to know why this disparity exists and, especially, I would like to know if there is a way to increase the volume level when listening in this setup and using the MusicBee Player.

Thanks,

Art

vincent kars

Having both CHI en MB, I can't replicate your problem

Inside MB, have a look at Controls >
EQ, Replay gain on, it could all affect the volume

ArthurDaniels

Hi Vincent,

Are you listening to both players via an external DAC, connected to a PC via a USB cable?

I only encounter this difference when listening via my Peachtree DAC, connected via a USB cable.

I have Replay Gain turned OFF in controls and I have tried enabling and disabling the Equaliser in Controls.  No effect.

Thanks,

Art
Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:16:39 PM by ArthurDaniels

vincent kars

Using Toslink but I would be surprised if USB would behave different.
You can open de Win audio panel > Playback devices > Properties
Check Level and Enhancements
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

In my case, at the lower right there is an icon , 3 vertical bars crossed by 3 littlle ones in the middle, representing sliders
or http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Equalizer

ArthurDaniels

Hi Vincent,

I did find the Equaliser III symbol, so I modified my question to remove that concern.  But, thanks anyway for that suggestion.

I looked at the volume setting for the Peachtree DAC in Windows Control Panel and found it to be at 50%.  I boosted it to 75% - that increase provides plenty of volume range for the MusicBee Volume Control.

So, all is well.  Thanks for reminding me to check the Windows setting.  That option did not occur to me because the MusiCHI volume was so much higher than MusicBee.  Perhaps the MusiCHI setting was base upon the internal Windows sound system playback, rather than the Peachtree DAC.

MusicBee is my preferred player, for a variety of reasons, including its versatility and its range of options.

I am incorporating external DACs into all of my music playback systems.  There is so much more sound available with the use of a decent quality external DAC, when compared to built in PC DACs, or, for that matter, the built in DACs in any of my other amps, AV Receivers, or CD/DVD players.

Thanks again.

Art

vincent kars

What you can try is using WASAPI
It bypasses the Win audio settings
It also defeats the Win resampler

MB > Preferences > Player > Output
CHI > Settings > Output

Best

Vincent

ArthurDaniels

Another good suggestion!  I have changed the setting to WASAPI for MusicBee.  MusiCHI was already configured for WASAPI.

Best,

Art