Author Topic: Long-time stable install now fails to open  (Read 1712 times)

Skoop

Or it takes about a minute to open, and then, once open, any click locks it up.

I'm a pretty savvy PC user, but I don't know how to troubleshoot this.  This is an install of v. 2.5.5804 that is years old and has always functioned optimally. 

It's on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro.  The library store is on the D partition of a two-partition SSD.  I use a sync application on the home network to mirror the music files on the laptop with my desktop. But the files in the library are all local; there is no network location to monitor.

Starting the program as Administrator makes no difference.  MB with privileges in the Windows Firewall makes no difference. 

Really, nothing has ever changed with the PC except for Windows Updates.  I've had no need to monkey with any MB settings and this problem is entirely spontaneous. 

I have a desktop with identical settings in the menus and the same audio files and it runs fine. 

Ideas?

Steven

• Administrator
Often weird problems like this are from your security software interfering with musicbee, especially Avast with the deep scan feature enabled.
Try whitelisting musicbee in the security software.
I have no other suggestions

Skoop

I think I might have found it.  

After waiting it out to start, which took several minutes, I didn't click anything for a few more.  Then I moused to the left to open the left side panel, and I see in the list of drives a network share that no longer exists.  

In that panel, I can click around OK, but I don't see anything that allows me to dismiss that now-defunct drive.  

I'm guessing that the program is polling the drive sources known to it and it's taking a long time to give up.

Windows will act like this, too, if you click on a dead link network drive.  

How can I clear that drive from MB's memory/history?

Edit:  I don't use the laptop daily like the desktop, so for some reason that network share persists on the former but it's gone from the desktop.  Will it clear itself if I leave it alone or try to keep starting it and closing it?

Edit2:  I just use the vanilla Defender that comes with Windows and it's never been an issue.  --Same setup with the desktop that doesn't hiccup at all with MB.
Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:48:43 PM by Skoop

Skoop

Solved, I think. 

I was wondering where I could find instances of the dead link that might still exist in the program.  I was able to get the top level menu open and I found that address in the Library>Backup option.  I changed it there to something live.

Then I opened musicbeesettings.ini and found it there in <Drive Mapping>.  Deleted it.  Now it's gone from the sidebar.

Program opens in about 5 seconds now.  Better than 2 minutes anyway.