Author Topic: Unique column browser setting per tab  (Read 32872 times)

redwing

If you fix the bug, then I'll test again. Currently all strange things happen, not just thumb active field.

Steven

• Administrator
The only bug i can find is when adding a new tab, it was copying the current tab settings but not the fact that it was a custom layout and hence overwriting the default layout settings. Thats fixed for the next update.
Before I make it available I dont want to waste your time with this, so apart from that bug do you think the other issues might be related to the way you configured the test layouts? eg. change the layout/ copy to new layout without realizing the last layout change will get saved to the custom-name active before the subsequent copy to new layout command. The key thing to remember is the first thing to do is copy to a new layout and then make the changes

redwing

I think the bug may be related to the way I create, save and load the custom layouts because I'm doing this switching around multiple locked tabs. Say, I saved A layout from "a" tab, and then moved to b tab that has its own B layout. If I load A layout from b tab, B layout doesn't change at all. Then I move to c tab and load A layout and it loads B layout instead. So somehow A layout has changed to B layout. Also this kind of behavior is not consistent.

Steven

• Administrator
ok i can reproduce some weirdness with that setup so i will solve that before making it available

redwing

Also I think I will need to create a unique layout for each locked tab.
Say, you have 10 tabs opened, and load A layout from 5 tabs. Now whenever you make some layout changes from any of the five tabs, the A layout will constantly change. And when you get back to the first tab, it will be no longer looking like what you had when you left.

So the current auto-save behavior is useful because you don't have to remember to save it again every time you make some changes. But the problem is it changes not just the tab you're currently at but other tabs with the same layout.

Maybe tabs could work like playlists with just two options - default and custom. Export function is still useful because you can copy it to another tab easily, but it doesn't have to require a unique name for every custom layout.
Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:16:09 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
I think i have fixed the bug you are reporting but will do more testing.

If I understand what you are saying, then i dont plan to have unique settings for a locked tab ie. a named custom layout will be the same irrespective of whether a tab is locked or not. Things are already potentially confusing enough re: some settings overriding current tab settings, without adding more complexity

Steven

• Administrator
actually i will upload it as it should be better than yesterday's buggy version, but i havent tested all the scenarios i want to test

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoyqusdsqprxg1h/MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip?dl=1

redwing

Whenever selecting another locked tab, getting this error:

MusicBee v3.2.6507.39540 (Win10.0)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=q$fHPpM0AOfcWwqFlo2PIFA==(String #=qMhli0EdOAakuuht$f4UYsA==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.#=qHmK4RLa4l3XDQQDUyiW97Aq5NMS_kflNrZBj5vaB3XI=(Boolean #=qvh3kdxfwCAJ6d99FAsq39VjJdVc6yIQ$hT4LU1YjA_Q=)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.NavigationHeader.#=qann93IAZsILLd6Ni0ZnuuA==(Int32 #=qh_ke4EkL9HiF4P4M8Kg9FA==, Boolean #=qo25YdRlR3Mdqm5BXo26ceVP9nHb7fGHP31aSz3jqHzk=)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.NavigationHeader.#=qKm9hltViMwqomswylDCx_Q==(MouseEventArgs #=qf4HILfMcNej_quGLHXHhpg==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.OnMouseClick(MouseEventArgs #=q1ixBabNoDK0dCTS6itJgdw==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=qKD7k$H$sbdQ61kdogPkMfSCHhl1wwT2Hed1tydS6S18=.WndProc(Message& #=qKdqcgdUML6v$gl5T0IoiKQ==)
   at MusicBee.MusicBeeMain.WndProc(Message& #=qCgdkyRL_RSs3BhCOEyxBLg==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

redwing

Not just locked tabs but any tabs including new tabs. Can't switch to another tab.
Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:17:46 PM by redwing

redwing

for the 2nd point, only the panel layout and active skin is saved

I think skin can be left to the end-user's choice, though I tested that a non-existing skin don't affect the importing process.

Also

the menu name could include "import" too (Export / Import) as I wondered where import option is for a second.

redwing

If I understand what you are saying, then i dont plan to have unique settings for a locked tab ie. a named custom layout will be the same irrespective of whether a tab is locked or not. Things are already potentially confusing enough re: some settings overriding current tab settings, without adding more complexity

If you think including show/hide status of sidebars and filtering browsers makes it too complicated, then disregard the request.

As for my suggestion of default / custom layout for tabs, each tab already keeps its own layout in 3.1. What's not saved currently is column browsers settings and other panel/elements configuration. If you can simply add those, then users won't need to save each tab into a custom layout. Then each tab will keep its own custom layout while a new tab will still take a default layout.

Steven

• Administrator
i updated the link that might stop the crashing when changing tabs but its not solved

redwing

redwing

The new version works well. One thing I noticed is it seems to update the saved custom layout when you switch to a tab in another layout. So if the same custom layout is loaded in multiple tabs, the changes you made in one tab get lost when you switch to another tab in the same custom layout.
Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:12:09 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
The new version works well. One thing I noticed is it seems to update the saved custom layout when you switch to a tab in another layout. So if the same custom layout is loaded in multiple tabs, the changes you made in one tab get lost when you switch to another tab in the same custom layout.
thats fixed for the next update