Author Topic: I have a folder marked [empty] amongst album titles and it has 1000 tracks in it  (Read 3125 times)

ozpomfromhell

I've been using MB for a couple of months and just recently looked for an album (files are listed under traditional albums) and couldn't find it. Eventually I found a particular track listed in a folder marked [empty] at the top of the list under "Album Artists".
It has best part of a thousand tracks in it.
I previously used Logitech Media Server and that could read those files, but MB seems to have a problem with them.
Am I going to have to re-tag all thousand tracks which in itself will be problematic as these tracks do have any listing for artist let alone an album, just a track name, some with track numbers some without.
If anyone has any ides fir a short cut solution I would be very grateful as tracing what all the tracks are and presumably tagging each one individually is not filling my heart with glee.
Thanks in advance

phred

• Global Moderator
If anyone has any ides fir a short cut solution I would be very grateful as tracing what all the tracks are and presumably tagging each one individually is not filling my heart with glee.
Are the filenames belonging to the tracks in question Artist - Title, or something similar? If so you might be able to update the tags from its filename. Select tracks > right-click > Auto-tag by Track > Infer and update tags from Filename. TEST THIS ON ONE OR TWO TRACKS FIRST to confirm that it's doing what you want!!
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What do you find in the tag inspector for one of the "empty" tracks?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ozpomfromhell

OK, thanks.
I just tried "infer and update tags" and it showed the right artist, right album, track name and number with file format.
So far so good.
It offers me "preview" and "close".
I tried preview and close but the track sits in the same folder.
Do I have have to re-scan tracks?
At the moment there is no folder(album) for it under artist.

ozpomfromhell

A bit more information... if I look at each track, I find a name (and possibly a track number) but that is all.
The "infer and update tags) seems to always find the right artist and album.
As I think I said before, there seems no button to click to say "yes, oh yes, please do that", and if I click either preview or close it just sits there.
Do I need to rescan and do I need to open new folders for each album?
Once again, thanks in advance.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should be able to save after you preview.  If that's not the case, can you give us a screenshot?

Regarding the file staying in place, reorganizing files is a completely separate operation.  Infer & update only changes the tags.  In any case, it sounds like your files are properly organized by album and artist, else MusicBee wouldn't be able to find those values.  So even if you have auto-organize enabled, it may not need to move any files.

If you want to add artist and album to the file name, you'd need to change your organization template.  Don't do that while you've got missing tags, though, poor you could lose the info of the file structure.
Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:39:02 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ozpomfromhell

OK. Not sure what I did wrong before, but now after preview I have the option to "apply changes" which I am clicking.
That produces the (correct) name of the artist on the display.
Do I have to go through one track at a time?
That's not so bad I guess.
I can't see how to do them in bulk, but my more important question is how do I get them into the folders where I want them?
Can I use auto-tag by album of will a simple re-scan move them to the right folders?
Yet again, thanks in advance.

ozpomfromhell

And the entire folder (100 tracks) is now listed by the name of the album  that the first track comes from.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should be able to do all the tracks at once if they are in correct folders.  But if the folder in Windows explorer is the same for all these tracks, I'd be very careful.

Another thing you could try, if tagging by filename isn't working, is using the "auto tag" button in the tag editor, which offers an option to scan the sound fingerprint (acoustID) of the file to try to identify it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ozpomfromhell

Thank you so much for all he advice.
I re-tagged about 15 files and rescanned and it sent those files to the right places so I might just bite the bullet and do them all one at a time.
How would I choose all the files?
I don't think I saw a "select all" option, but then I was just right clicking one at a time.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You just select all by highlighting them as you normally, or you can use CTRL-A when you're looking at just that section of the library. (Before you run "infer & update tags" command)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ozpomfromhell

ozpomfromhell

And just today I bulk re-tagged the tracks and as far as I can see, they all leapt into their proper places except 4 tracks which are odd downloads of dubious heritage.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator