Author Topic: Video Player which supports media library  (Read 6861 times)

Sani

Hi guys,

For a music player, there is no better player than MusicBee. It's all i ever wanted in a music player.

But now a days, i am looking for a similar player for video playback. I have been a VLC user for a long time but now i am basically looking for a player which shows my Movies and TV Show library with their posters, artwork, info, metadata etc. just like MusicBee, just to be more organized and fun watching. I don't like to play videos by going into drives anymore after using MusicBee.  :P

After some research, i found Cyberlink PowerDVD, it shows you posters (screenshot attached), organize the media and the video/audio enhancement is cool.

Some of the artwork is missing the filenames were not accurate, i would do later with FileBot.

Now the thing which is bothering me about Cyberlink PowerDVD is that it takes a lot of resources and also it's right-click context is quite slow which i have to use occasionally to get subtitles and other options and takes around 3-4 seconds to pop. The video playback and other functions are smooth though.

So can someone recommend me any good video player which organizes and displays the media library the way i want?

Spicefly

Might be a bit heavy for your requirements.  But I use Team Mediaportal (1.x branch) with StreamedMP skin, MovingPictures plugin and TVSeries plugin.  They provide the metadata and also keep track of which movies and TV episodes you have watched.

Lots to fiddle with there :)

Cheers

Sani

Might be a bit heavy for your requirements.  But I use Team Mediaportal (1.x branch) with StreamedMP skin, MovingPictures plugin and TVSeries plugin.  They provide the metadata and also keep track of which movies and TV episodes you have watched.

Lots to fiddle with there :)

Cheers

Is it light on system resources? I got Core i3 with 4GB RAM.

Spicefly

It depends which options you install, if you do a custom install you can remove the TV components.  Plus in the configuration you can disable a lot of things you don't need.

It's pretty configurable, so I have mine only pulling metadata when its paused and not playing content so that will also help.

Further details here on min. specs; https://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal/requirements

Good Luck

h3x3d

Hi.  I'm a long time MediaPortal user, myself.  I love it - especially with the film and tv plugins you can get for it.

I have a question though - do you use MusicBee on your HTPC?  I love MusicBee, but would love to use it without the keyboard.  I was thinking I could maybe trigger it to load when I press the music button on my remote.

Do you do anything like this?  I don't like the music playing capabilities of MediaPortal in comparison to what's on offer in MusicBee.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Cheers!