Author Topic: 1) Locate *Artist* in Library 2)sort artists by tracks per artist  (Read 6431 times)

account4me2

Hello,

I'm probably wrong but I at least don't *think* these are possible right now:

1)Right now you can right-click a song in the Now Playing list and go "Locate in Library", but for me, these just locates the song in a huge list of my entire library (60000+ songs), which is quite difficult to manipulate in such a small window. Perhaps there could be a right-click option either in the Now Playing list *or* in the Main Panel which locates the song in a list of songs by only that artist rather than the whole library.

2)I've mentioned this before so I don't think it's easy and possibly not possible due to MusicBee's construction, but I'll mention it again:
Some way to sort (at least) Artists by number of tracks per artist. Again, with such a massive library, if I search e.g. 'she' looking for the artist 'she', my Artist list is still huge, but if it was sorted by tracks per artist, 'she' would be at the top.

Anyway, just suggestions. Thanks for all your awesome work.

Steven

• Administrator
1)Right now you can right-click a song in the Now Playing list and go "Locate in Library", but for me, these just locates the song in a huge list of my entire library (60000+ songs), which is quite difficult to manipulate in such a small window. Perhaps there could be a right-click option either in the Now Playing list *or* in the Main Panel which locates the song in a list of songs by only that artist rather than the whole library.
i'm not sure i understand this. When you "Locate in Library" it should go to and only select the song you clicked on

for number 2 i have had a few people ask for this and it should be straight-forward enough to add a new field which has the artist track count, from which you could sort with
Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:09:58 PM by Steven

chorpo

according to 1):
I have this in my mind for long time but have never written down.

Test case: When I'm listening to music, sometimes I remember another great song from same artist. I use "Locate in library" option in context menu for currently played song. Almost always I'm using Album view with Genre, Artist and Album subwindows (for filtering). So after clicking to Locate in library, album with currently played song is shown... If I'm lucky, another great song from same artist is on the same album as currently played so I just queue next that song and I'm happy :-) Sadly many times I have no luck and I have to search for that artist...

It would be great to have another option in context menu for example "Locate artist in library" so it selects same artist in Artist subwindow or searches for artist in whole library because not everyone uses album view or uses other subwindows for filtering library

picture illustrates what i mean>

account4me2

i'm not sure i understand this. When you "Locate in Library" it should go to and only select the song you clicked on

Thanks cHORPO, although I found what you were saying somewhat confusing to be honest. Basically Steven:

Lets say I'm playing a song in my now playing list, but I remember another song by that artist that I'd like to play. So I go right click -> "Locate in Library".  MusicBee then correctly locates the song, but it locates it within a list of *every* song in my library - i.e. the Main Panel displays 60,000 songs at once. Lets say the artist I'm interested in has 100 songs. Trying to find the one I want is very difficult - moving the scroll bar even a tiny bit will move hundreds of songs up/down the list, and using the arrows is very slow. I usually just give up and manually search the artist, so I only have to scroll through that one artist's songs. Thus an option that would locate the *artist* in library would be handy.

for number 2 i have had a few people ask for this and it should be straight-forward enough to add a new field which has the artist track count, from which you could sort with
awesome, thanks.  :)

Steven

• Administrator
i think this is the same as chorpo's suggestion - it would filter just for the artist you locate
what i will do is add a right click/ Locate artist 'xxxxxx' (or if the right click was on a genre then Locate genre 'xxxxx' etc)

chorpo

i think this is the same as chorpo's suggestion - it would filter just for the artist you locate
what i will do is add a right click/ Locate artist 'xxxxxx' (or if the right click was on a genre then Locate genre 'xxxxx' etc)

perfect. another usefull addition for MB :-)

Steven

• Administrator
if you want to try this out
http://www.mediafire.com/?2v632ukiy1jsd01

just unzip and replace the existing files where MB is installed
- locate artist (or whatever field you are clicking on) only works from the now playing panel in the right sidebar
- also has ability now to unlove a track from MB
Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:57:51 PM by Steven

chorpo

I have tried locate artist and album from now playing list and works like a charm :-) thanx It also works for recently played songs not only music library :-)

but something went wrong with now playing list

I have to click on the blank place on left of the "Selected track" or "Playing track" to switch view of selected track or playing track... before (when there were two options) it was more obvious... Also "Selected track" should be "Selected track(s)" because you can select more than one track but playing one is only one ;-) I have tried also Windows theme skin but it is the same (I thought "Dark" skin has something not implemented...)

Steven

• Administrator
i changed it as it was "unsightly" with some of the skins - you just click on it and it switches (in the same way as itunes and other players)