Author Topic: bpm counter  (Read 6872 times)

barlet

Any chance of incorporating a BPM counter? It might be useful to many! Thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
You can use the free, stand-alone MixMeister BPM Analyzer. Open it on your desktop and just select and drag the tracks/albums from MB into the open MixMeister window. It runs automatically and places the results in the BPM tag of each track.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

_Chris_

Any chance of getting one incorporated within MB?  Rather than involving 2 programs.

rudolph

You can use the free, stand-alone MixMeister BPM Analyzer. Open it on your desktop and just select and drag the tracks/albums from MB into the open MixMeister window. It runs automatically and places the results in the BPM tag of each track.

Is that the new version on their website? Or the old 2008 version I remember having it in 2010... Can't find new screenshots. There are only the ones from 2008 version.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have no idea which version it might be. There's no 'help/about' on the version I use.

There's another one I've been toying with the past few days called Abyssemdia BPM Counter v1.7.2.0. It's free and has no ads.

I like that I can simply drag music files to the desktop icon and it takes over from there. You can configure the number of decimal places, and there's an option to have it add the BPM to the tag or not.

What I don't like is that it opens in the middle of my two monitor setup and even though I drag it to one monitor or the other, the position does not stay persistent. It also seems to calculate the BPM for -everything- within the directory that the dragged files are in. I may have 100 tracks in a directory and select and drag three of them, it calculates for all 100.

http://www.abyssmedia.com/bpmcounter/
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

klh

I splurged an bought MixMeister (it's $1.99 right now on their website) but I'm not seeing that it places the results in the BPM tag. The drag/drop from MB works great and it seems to do a good job generating results, but the only option is to export the results to a csv file. It's a pretty simple interface, is there some trick to get this to work to update the tags directly?

[UPDATE]

I looked at the files in Windows explorer and I can see the timestamp updated, and I can then add in the "Beats-per-minute" column in explorer and I see all the BPM values from MixMeister, but they do not show in the "bpm:" field in the MB Tags (2) panel.

Is there some translation required to get them to show in MB bpm from the "Beats-per-minute" that MixMeister writes and that Windows sees?

Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 07:53:45 PM by klh

frankz

-Select the files
-Right Click
-Send To->File Rescan

klh

Thanks frankz! That's it.

FWIW, anyone looking for a BPM analyzer, there's no reason to purchase MixMeister at all, I should have started with http://www.abyssmedia.com/bpmcounter/ which is free. I think it's a better interface, and it has the option to write or not write to the tags. MixMeister will always write to the files after processing, there's no option to turn it off that I can see.

Plus BPM Counter lets you set the number of decimal places, whereas MixMeister is hard-coded to 2 extra decimals: "XXX.XX".

The only downside to BPM Counter is it doesn't support drag-n-drop the way MixMeister does, you can only add files by navigating to a folder.

Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:42:59 PM by klh