Author Topic: Genres, Moods and Themes Manager (V1.1.0)  (Read 32277 times)

Davidblkx

GMT Manager
A plugin for MusicBee to help manage music Genres, Moods and Themes

Info

Although there are good tagging tools in MusicBee, non of them let the user easily import and manage multiple values for Genres, Moods and Themes. So this tool was created.

GMT Manager is composed by two main tools:

- A manual importer where the user manually search and select the GMT tags to import
- A bot that automatically looks for and fills the appropriate tags, based on pre selected option by the user

Manual Importer

1. Select the files to import
 2. Right-Click > GMT Manager

Bot Importer

1. Filter the main view with tracks to tag
 2. MainMenu > Tools > Tagging Tools > GMT Bot
 3. Fill the settings (by default the last used is loaded)
 4. Press Start Bot

Installation Instruction

- Copy the content from the downloaded zip file into the plugins folder, usually it's located in the MusicBee installation directory

Future Plans

- Write better tests
 - Design a better UI to filter the Bot log
 - Make the UI look closer to the MusicBee one

How to report bugs

* Open a Issue in GitHub
 * Respond to this thread

Release Notes
 - Fix crash when searching for tags with some UTF8 chars
 - Improved tag update performance, now shouldn't hang the player when updating a long list of tracks
 - Added ability to opt-out entirely of some categories

Download link
 - GMT Manager V1.0
 - GMT Manager V1.1
Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:31:38 AM by Davidblkx

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This sounds awesome.  I can't wait to try it out!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Tybot

Just started using this add-on and it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for making it! An opt-in option for Moods and Themes would be great, though. Right now I'm writing those tags random fields and then deleting them at a later point in time.

Looking forward to the next version. Keep up the good work!

Davidblkx

Just started using this add-on and it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for making it! An opt-in option for Moods and Themes would be great, though. Right now I'm writing those tags random fields and then deleting them at a later point in time.

I've stop using windows in the last couple months, so for now I can not continue to develop this plugin. I miss musicbee a lot and I'm meaning to install a VM to run it along side linux, there's also a group of functionality that I want to  add to this plugin, the option to opt-out being one of them. So just subscribe to this thread, and as soon I find the time I'll update it  ;)

btw, I'm glad you find it useful, thanks for the support!

Tybot

I've stop using windows in the last couple months, so for now I can not continue to develop this plugin. I miss musicbee a lot and I'm meaning to install a VM to run it along side linux, there's also a group of functionality that I want to  add to this plugin, the option to opt-out being one of them. So just subscribe to this thread, and as soon I find the time I'll update it  ;)

btw, I'm glad you find it useful, thanks for the support!

Don't worry about it. Whenever you get the chance to work on it it's fine. It already does exactly what I need it to do. :)

I was actually thinking of an opt-in regarding which moods you want to add to the tags. As it is right now, I have to deselect every mood I don't want written to the tag. But I'm not really using Moods or Themes so an opt-out for the whole category would work just as fine for me.

I had one other thing I wanted to run by you. As you know the MusicBee genre category only supports a two-level hierarchy while Allmusic uses a three-level hierarchy e.g: http://www.allmusic.com/style/glam-rock-ma0000002619

Do you see any way to implement a three-level hierarchy for genres in MusicBee using the built-in functions and/or plugins? I've been giving it some thought but all my solutions would require an extreme amount of manual labor. Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Davidblkx

I had one other thing I wanted to run by you. As you know the MusicBee genre category only supports a two-level hierarchy while Allmusic uses a three-level hierarchy e.g: http://www.allmusic.com/style/glam-rock-ma0000002619

Do you see any way to implement a three-level hierarchy for genres in MusicBee using the built-in functions and/or plugins? I've been giving it some thought but all my solutions would require an extreme amount of manual labor. Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Never thought of it, that seems to be a fun problem to tackle. Probably, if you tag your genre in allmusic order, you then could create virtual tags to handle a hierarchy system. This is me just spiting it out of my head, I'm not sure if it would work. Try take a look at http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions

Tybot

Never thought of it, that seems to be a fun problem to tackle. Probably, if you tag your genre in allmusic order, you then could create virtual tags to handle a hierarchy system. This is me just spiting it out of my head, I'm not sure if it would work. Try take a look at http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions

Sorry for the late reply.

It would seem our definition of the word "fun" differ a great deal. ;) I see what you're saying regarding using Virtual Tags to handle the hierarchy, the thing I got stuck on though was a clever way to parse the whole genre system from AllMusic to MB without a whole lot of copy/paste. Anyway, I was just brainstorming a bit. The whole idea is probably way overkill.

Still using your plugin and it hasn't let me down once. Again, great work and much appreciation! :)

rudolph

Great tool, I was looking for something similar to organize my 13K songs... Many of them have no moods or occasions and some have only 1 genre tag which often are incorrect.

zigzag10

I don't know why but for some reason the plugin doesn't seem to be working. I've copied the file to the plugin directory, but when I run MB it isn't listed in preferences, and the GMT Manager and the BOT importer are not been displayed. I incidentally have been trying v1.1 of the plugin with version 3 of MB (3.0.6347). Can anybody help? 

bradmmm

This is super cool man! Up until now, I've been slowly organising my 50k+ songs. Started with them all in my inbox and every day I'll organise a dozen or two albums, I actually find it relaxing! My only regret is that for the first 10-15k songs, I completely ignored the genre tags. For some reason, I decided I didn't want them and now I realise how dumb that was and how cool it is to have all my music with correct genres.

Up until now I've been looking at each individual album and tagging it with 1-3 genres and it's been taking sooooooooo long.  Hopefully, this works out well for me, I love the idea of having multiple genres for each track. Fingers crossed that this does what I want! I have never used the mood or occasion tags, but I can't see why it would matter to me if they are tagged - I'll never see them anyway  8)

Thanks heaps mate, this is awesome.

Edit - Unfortunately, it doesn't tag tracks that have multiple artists in the artist field - it would be much better if it used the 'Album Artist' field instead.

For example, you can see here that it's only tagged tracks by 2 Chainz but the tracks with two artists,
 2 Chainz; Lil Wayne, don't get anything  :'(

I thought this may just be because I have the 'Album Artist' field for that particular album as two artists, 2 Chainz; Lil Wayne but I tried it with an album with only one album artist, but plenty of featured artists on that album and it unfortunately done the same thing - only tracks without featured artists get tagged  :-\

Oh well, I guess it's my fault for tagging my features like this. I, for some reason, have just always hated when the featured artist is in the track field instead of the artist field. I mean, it just makes sense to me that all artists should be in the artist field! My last.fm is all messed up because of this too lols

Anyway, great work dude. If someone has a workaround for me, that would be great! If not, that's totally cool and I'll continue to tag manually. For the time being, I'll just get to tagging bands (rarely use a featured artist) instead of hip-hop artists!
Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:32:16 AM by bradmmm

rudolph

Plugin crashes musicbee when trying to tag multiple albums

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Given this hasn't been updated in two years, you're probably out of luck. Sorry!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

decon

Also got some bugs.

Yesterday, Musicbee crashed after GMT processed the tags. Today, it works without any problems. I don't know why or how this happened.

Will post crash log if it happens again

jan_axhell

Hi, crash on me too (Win7 x64, MB v3.3.7115)

Today I started parsing and tagging my collection with GMT Bot with default settings and ADD option. It all worked flawlessly. Then at some point, after thousands of songs correctly tagged, MB started crashing every time for any album as soon as I clicked START BOT. It simply closes with no error message.
MB never crashed since I started using it over a year ago. This is the first and only case of crash.
I am puzzled, since GMT Bot worked fine, then for no reason, nor any kind of change in settings, it started crashing.
Suggestions?