Author Topic: Can I have your opinion about this idea - "Tag by a click"?  (Read 3307 times)

Phaedrus

I could see that being incredibly useful, but not for everything.

I could see this as a drop down list for fields that only have a few possible options. Possibly something like Genre, but only if your Genre list is short. If you have to scroll through 50+ menu items, I don't see much advantage with a larger library. If this were the case, have it populated with values already listed in the database only. I'd use it for something like "Mood" or "Occasion."

I could also envision a custom field that is a check box or radio button. Something like; "Kid Friendly" or "Don't play this one at work."
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
1) Read up on custom tags: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

2) No Idea.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Stamimail

Exactly like you can edit the Rating (stars) while playing a song, I'm looking for ability to apply a custom tags by a click.
This idea is similiar idea to Gmail tags/labels. The same concept.

Another thought is to make it in such a way it could be found by Windows Search. Is there appropriate mp3 tag for this mission, making custom tags could be found by Windows Search?
Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:08:57 PM by Stamimail

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure a "toggle" setting for custom tags has been requested before.  That's about the only thing I could see being useful without being very complicated to implement.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Stamimail

Hi,
I'm still looking for a "while-playing" tagger. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
As mentioned, the only "tag" that can be edited "while-playing" is the stars (Rating).
I want an app, that will let the user to type-in custom-tags, that will be added to app as balloons (label buttons).
While playing you can edit the balloons (enable/disable) by click, in a similar way to the stars.
Later, you will be able to search and play or make Playlists, based on those customs tags.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:43:30 PM by Stamimail

hiccup

If I understand you correctly; the vertical tag editor will allow you to do that.
(View > Arrange Panels)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Custom tag data types (which are configurable in Configure Fields) include Enumerated, which means you pick from a list (the list is generated from existing values in that tag), and Rating, which I think works exactly like the normal rating except the value is saved to custom tag. For enumerated, you'll still have to save the tags after applying. Not sure about rating.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Stamimail

If I understand you correctly; the vertical tag editor will allow you to do that.
(View > Arrange Panels)
I can't find the similarity between:
the vertical tag editor
and
the stars at the seek bar (bottom part of MusicBee) - which you can "tag by a click"

I'm talking about a panel that can be an alternative for the main panel.
I think all the custom tags can be added to one custom tag of the track, as a one long string with delimiters.
Something like:
custom1: [@MusicBeeTaggingCode:@1__Guitar;2__Piano;3__MusicForMorning]

While playing a track - labels will be displayed in the main panel:

Track Tags:
Code
[[x]Guitar]  [[x]Piano]  [[x]MusicForMorning]
Add Tags to the track:
----------------------------------------------
Search for Tag: [___MusicFo_______]
[MusicForPark]
[MusicForEvening]

List of Tags:
[iPad]
[iPod]
[iPhone]
[MusicForPark]
[MusicForEvening]
[Violin]
[Saxophone]
[Sea]

Add new Tag to list: [_______]

The goal:
To add/remove tags by a click (or doubleclick) while a track is been playing.
The applying doesn't have to be immediately, it can be when moving to the next track.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:22:43 PM by Stamimail

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Well, the advantage of the vertical tag editor is that it will always be displayed (or you can dock the regular editor in the main panel for the same effect). I really think an enumerated tag is going to be your best bet. That way you can click in the field, check the items you want, and save. You only have to type in the field if you need a new value.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Stamimail

I tested it a little.
Yes, indeed it make it easier to tag while playing.
But still the concept is a little different.
Currently, in the enumerated tag way, the tag list is based on what is exist on other tracks. Whenever removed from other tracks then is removed from list. You can't clear all the Custom1 tag from all tracks, and start over to tag by the list you had before.
BTW, it is not so intuinteive to configure, and I think it's not work 100% well:
1. The "Configure Fields" button is is placed far away from the "vertical tag editor"
2. Rating type didn't work well for me. It's not editable.
3. There was annoying "Confirmation" dialog-box each time you edit. You can't edit freely, song by song, with just one (or two..) click.
4. i think the list database is not live updated. I needed to Exit and Run MusicBee again to find the new tags I'm editing, really added to the list.

As described before, I'm talking about a new tagging mode, where the tags list database doesn't depend on the tags of the current library's tracks. It is independent, and managed by the user.

I think it's important to make a distinction between
Information tags, which basically give details about the song. Those are the normal tags, and supposed to be fixed.
and,
Customizable tags, which are things that can be changed by the user's mood.

I also think that the Information tags need to be saved to the files themselves, and the Customizable tags need to be saved to an external database, among application settings files.

I would happy to see such tagging mode in MusicBee in future.
Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:42:10 PM by Stamimail

hiccup

I think I can imagine some implementation where this could be useful, but I see some problems in the way you are describing it.

1. The "Configure Fields" button is is placed far away from the "vertical tag editor"

I don't understand what you mean by far away. In any implementation you will need to navigate to some configuration panel to set and edit things up to your personal preference.
So what is far away here?

2. Rating type didn't work well for me. It's not editable.

What is rating type?

3. There was annoying "Confirmation" dialog-box each time you edit. You can't edit freely, song by song, with just one (or two..) click.

What you find annoying here in my opinion is a sensible warning/confirmation. But a request to be able to bypass it could be valid.

I think it's important to make a distinction between
Information tags, which basically give details about the song. Those are the normal tags, and supposed to be fixed.
and,
Customizable tags, which are things that can be changed by the user's mood.

I also think that the Information tags need to be saved to the files themselves, and the Customizable tags need to be saved to an external database, among application settings files.

That's a different matter, and I don't agree with what you are saying here.
The distinction between 'information tags' and 'custom tags' is not that simple, and neither of them are a completely objective matter.
Many users will prefer to have their custom tags enclosed in their files.
If they were only externally stored in some specific MusicBee installation it would be quite easy to lose them forever.
Also, you can already choose how you want to save your custom tags. So I am not sure how this relates to your question/proposal.

-

You will also need to consider and propose some user interface for what you have in mind.
After you have now discovered  the functionality of the vertical tag editor; do you propose some enhancements for it, or do you have some completely new panel in mind?
How would that look, and how would it function differently from the vertical tag editor?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Are you talking about the one that says "One or more value have been amended"? Yes, as I said, you have to save after changing the tags. There are hotkeys for Save and Save/Go To Next, to speed it up.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Stamimail

You will also need to consider and propose some user interface for what you have in mind.
After you have now discovered  the functionality of the vertical tag editor; do you propose some enhancements for it, or do you have some completely new panel in mind?
How would that look, and how would it function differently from the vertical tag editor?
I have some completely new panel in mind.
I think the initial chart I drew here is enough. It should get perfected.
Note: The [ ] specifies a button: might be with x for remove, and might be a TextBox... it's self explanatory.
Sorry for the CODE part. I needed to put that text in CODE due to Forum limitations combining x in [ ].

Are you talking about the one that says "One or more value have been amended"?
Yes. Still I think this idea requires a new panel rather than enchantments in vertical tag editor.
Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:29:11 PM by Stamimail