Author Topic: Moving portable install to another folder breaks library. Workarounds?  (Read 1622 times)

musicslvas

Hello guys, ive been using this base portable install on 2 computers, same folder structure, so no problems with playlists or anything else.

Howerver, if i try to move it's folder in any form the library gets broken.

D:Folder1\Folder2\MusicBee  to D:Programs\Mbee as example

Last month i tried and was ugly. After launch my library became empty, nothing could bring it back, tried to re-add music, re-scan. Selected a existing library, nothing helped..

I think i know the solution, which involves changing paths on musicbee3settings, tried but i must left something behind because it did'nt work. I think ill never get this right, so there is a easier way? I have a backup of all this, so i'm open to reasonable alternatives

musicslvas

Thanks Steven, i learned that remap does more than i knew.  Even tough i'm the right path, i still have weird problems. Remap finds the new library folder but library still empty. Tools / advanced / re scan all files finds only 10.000 tracks of 27.000, and still doesnt add them to the library. I'll explain step by step what was done.

If you don't want to dig deep into this i have no problem, ill just keep the way its. i'm sure you have more important things to do in musicbee development.

For simplicity purposes i moved the portable install 1 folder in,  /disk/folder1/folder2/  to    /disk/folder1/folder2/folder3/

1 - launched mbee, soon the library became empty as expected. MBP playlists are broken too, not expected that.

2 - now i called remap music folders, mbee hangs a little bit, and soon discovers what needs to be done. it mapped folder2/...library to folder3/...library, something like this.

3 - At this stage, nothing was scanned (checked with task manager) and the library still empty. re-opened the program, still empty and no scans were done. MBP lists still broken.

4 - Tools / advanced / re scan all files did'nt help. This scan is faster than expected, doesnt add any song and at the status bar i can see that it found only 30% of my tracks.

5 - That's the weirdest part. With or without remapping, sometimes only 2 songs are shown, always the same ones. That's happened last month too.

Ideas?

alec.tron

I too have problems with a re-mapped library.

The remapping worked without a hitch. All paths have been adjusted, and all files play in MB. Even all playlists were rewritten and are functional (alas not quite as before - see below).
But, MusicBee does not scan the new library anymore as expected, i.e. MB does not see new files/folders and does not add them to the inbox anymore - a rescan just yields 'scan complete - no new files found'.
Any idea what might be amiss here ?

And for the playlists - previously absolute file locations (due to MusicBee sitting on a different partition (i.e. Musicbee program location was D:\programs\MB\etc, files were E:\mp3\etc) are now relative (i.e. Musicbee program location is D:\programs\MB\etc, files is D:\mp3\etc, the resulting playlists in m3u format MusicBee is maintaining now list thei paths as \..\..\..\mp3\etc).
Any way to force it to use absolute paths ?
I tried in the past, but the only way I've found was to push Musicbee program to a different partition...

Cheers.
c.