Author Topic: subtract one playlist from larger playlist?  (Read 1689 times)

MusicIsCrazy159

searched thorugh forums using "subtract", did not find a solution.

I have playlist, "ALL MUSIC".
I have smaller playlist, "BOOKS"
I would like to subtract "BOOKS" from "ALL MUSIC", to create "MUSIC TUNES PLAYABLE"

any help appreciated
thansk
nick

alec.tron

One option that immediately came to mind - I would probably do this via tags...
i.e. set a ID3 GENRE tag on all book files, eg 'audiobook' (but could be anything, field / value wise...), and have a smart playlist set up that excludes all files with the 'genre' tag you do not want in that playlist (i.e. GENRE 'audiobook' in the above example)...

c.

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply.
i can try working with genre's and tags

ONE QUESTION
when you edit the genre's, and tags, does this affect just MusicBee data, or the actual MP3 file?
reason i ask is that I have an amazon cloud account, and I sync local drive to that periodically;  I have noticed that in changing GENRE, that the MP3 file then gets re-uploaded to the cloud (issue being to monitor bandwidth and data used), if I do numerous songs.

thanks
nick

alec.tron

Heya,
changing the Genre will be written to file indeed, it is part of the ID3 metadata definition for mp3s... which then would trigger a re-sync to cloud, if you manage your  music that way.
MusicBee does have virtual-tags too though which do the same, and which only sit inside of MusicBee and aren't written to the file.
I do not use them however, but there is a fairly extensive twiki for musicBee where this should be covered.
c.

ps  there's also an inbuilt way to manage podcasts differently from music in MusicBee - I do not use that either though, I only know it exists, and potentially you could funnel your audio books through there as well, instead of using the tags/virtual-tags method & smart-playlists.
Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:14:40 PM by alec.tron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There is also a separate audiobooks node that you can use.  Then you can manage all of this with auto-playlists: one that includes music and audiobooks as sources, one that only has music, and one that only has audiobooks.  No retagging necessary.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks very much for replies.
I'll look at the virtual tags, and also how it handles the audiobooks.

I'm a newbie, computer literate, but just new to this program, and don't mind exploring.  I have an Ipod, but am transitioning to my Samsung Galaxy S7, with a 128g memory card, and haven't cleaned up my music stuff for many years, and decided to work on all that and clean up the playlists.

thanks again
nick
Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:46:53 PM by MusicIsCrazy159