Author Topic: export subset of my music files  (Read 5922 times)

MusicIsCrazy159

I have several playlists.
I have my music in d:\NickMusic\etc-etc

I want to export the music that is in three of the 10 playlists.
I see that I can export it and define the folders as AUTHOR-ALBUM-SONG-etc

BUT, I would like to export the music, in the SAME folder/subfolder structure as the original music.

How to select my music, using the playlist as the selection, but keep my original folder structure?
thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I would set up a virtual device and sync those playlists to it.  You can use the "preserve folders and file names" setting to keep the directory structure.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Devices#Preferences
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply
i can't find whre the virtual device options are, looked through the EDIT -> preferences?
also went to the link you had, can't find that in menu eitehr

ADDENDUM -
 i found preverences - devices -and did find how to sync the folder as a virtual device.
BUT, even though in SETTINGS I had "preserve file and folder names", all it did was copy the SONG TITLE ITSELF into the virtual device, with no folder/subfolder tree to match my original music

how to get that tree to get sync'ed?
thanks
Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:14:27 PM by MusicIsCrazy159

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Did you tick the option to sync each playlist to its own folder?  If so, that's the issue.  If not, please post screenshots of your device settings.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply.
sorry for my blindness here, but I can't find where to add attachment, so I loaded two images into dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lf7lzezdpryq4to/AAB_hAUGytALjqQDaLuePb4ia?dl=0

I have selected to "synchronize selected playlists only"
and I selected it to store each playlist in subfolders.

BUT, that does not solve it

in mY system, the path for an example song is
D:\zzWorking\MusicTest\Playlists\1940s\001-Dean Martin-Sway.mp3

BUT, in MusicBee, the stored path (with subfolder of playlist of the 1940's) is
D:\NickMusic\Dean_Martin\Heres_Dean_Martin\01_Sway.mp3

Even with Playlist subfolders, MusicBee is NOT USING any of my folder/subfolder structure.
BUT, MusicBee DOES KNOW where that song came from;  see second image, EDITing the song, and its properties, shows the native computer path

THAT path is how I want to be able to export the playlist info, so I can export a subset of my music, to either my phone, or another device, but have the same file structure, but not have all the muisic.
That way, I can use the same playlists (I can edit relative paths, edit drive letters, etc, in an M3U playlist file, to match the other devices if needed)

Otherewise, I have to copy the whole NickMusic directory to every device, eating up storage space .

Thanks, and any other help is appreciated.
thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think my previous comment wasn't clear enough.  You need to UNTICK the option to sync each playlist to its own folder.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply.

still confused, as I don't see an option that states "sync each playlist to its own folder"
I see the option of

Virtual device -> Settings -> playlists -> create a subfolder for each playlist and its tracks;
I CHECKeD, AN un-checked this, no real change, just that the PLAYLISTS folder got created and all the songs, with no additional path, got dumped there;  if that was UNchecked, I blieve all bare songs got dumped into the MUSIC folder in teh virtual device....

I apologize for missing possibly something obvious, and I am searching for this, but any additional reply appreciated.
thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's the setting I'm talking about, it definitely needs to be unselected.

If that's not it, though, where it has the naming templates, have you chosen the option to preserve folders and file names?

Your screen shots don't show that panel of the sync settings, so they're not much help.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply.

Which panel has the sync settings?  I will search for this, and add dropbox link if i find it, and test it, but can you ponit me in right direction?

again, sorry, i'm a newbie with this, I do understand cojputers, but these playlists and exports are driving me nuts

ADDENDUM, I believe i hav it, and i do have that option checked
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udyuo4l3o3ku6e6/sync.jpg?dl=0
virtual device - > Configure -> Settings
Preserve folders and filenames IS checked, still no success

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yep, that's it!  Looks right.  Ok, so when you sync it with those exact settings it's still not working?

I'll stew on that, maybe someone else will weigh in.  It should be working as you describe...
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply.
Indeed, i believe i have all the settings as you have suggested.

the results are as I posted, the path is NOT being preserved, it just copies the raw file.

my program resides at
C:\PortableApps_Suite\PortableApps\MusicBee\

my music resides at
D:\NickMusic\

and the test virtual device is at
D:\zzWorking\MusicTest

it is a new installation, and the playlists, etc, all seem to play ok, and they do show the correct location of the files.

ANY HELP you can give, to resolve this, is appreciated;  I just ordered a new 128g memory card for my phone, I want to put these files onto the phone (SUBSETS of my collection), so I can then copy the playlists, etc, and preserve the relative paths.

thanks very very very much.  AND, if there is anything you want me to try and experiment with, I don't mind, just let me know
nick

redwing

The setting is working fine for me, preserving original folder structure. Make sure using the latest version:

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

MusicIsCrazy159

I hve version ...6132, PORTABLE -
is there a difference b etween portable, and regular?

do you have a link for teh portable?

ADDENDUM, I pasted these into the portable folder, now ver ...6170, but same results......
: - (
Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:52:25 PM by MusicIsCrazy159

redwing

No differences. Patches can be applied to any installation.

redwing

So you will need to tick "preserve..." option and untick "create a sub-folder..." option.
With those settings, can you post a screenshot of "Sync Preview" image?