Author Topic: Improvements for Classical Music Support  (Read 46292 times)

hiccup

I'm sorry for repeating myself, but I strongly feel it would be a mistake to hide the oldest and most essential tag (title) behind an extra click.
Especially at the location (tag editor) where overview and ease of editing should be the main purpose.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
the 'other' option:
- keep the the tag editor panel with the "track title/work name" option to decide what is displayed in the main panel
- add the ... button to the end of the track title entry to allow editing of title, work, movement in the one panel (similar to artist/multiple artist splitter dialogue)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Bee-liever

Would this change your '-1' from post #83? Or was that against having 'publisher' making space for 'title'?
That was against moving 'Publisher'

vzell

The tags 'year' and 'original year' are separated by being located at different tabs.
I would like it better if they were together on the same tab.
It looks like there's enough space behind 'year' on the first 'Tags' tab to do that?

+1
+1

vzell

Trying out the new 'work/movement' feature:

I find it very inconvenient that when you activate that feature by switching from 'track title' to 'work name' in the tag editor, you don't see the title anymore.

For classical tracks, it is good practice to have it containing both the work name and the movement name. (and possible parts)
So you would e.g. have a track title:
"Dido and Aeneas, Z. 626: Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" (Aeneas, Dido)"
From that title, you can dissect the work, the movement and/or the part.

But as soon you switch the tag panel to work/movement mode, you lose the view on that useful information.
I feel that the track title should remain in view.
Just switch back to track title.  All the work and movement info is still saved in the tags, but you have the title view.

I think I would like it best if 'title', 'work', 'movement' each had their own dedicated fixed space.
I wouldn't mind to have the 'Publisher' field removed from that tab so to make space to do that.

Steven

• Administrator
it might be best if rather than using "-1" people say what they want as it can get quite confusing eg. @vzell are using -1 to negate bee-liever's -1 ?

vzell

it might be best if rather than using "-1" people say what they want as it can get quite confusing eg. @vzell are using -1 to negate bee-liever's -1 ?
Please do NOT remove Publisher field

hiccup

i have changed the tag editor to always show title

Thanks, I appreciate you doing what was not your personal preference.

Now trying to look at it without (personal) prejudice, I am wondering what the added value of having a classical vs. non-classical selector in the tag editor panel is.
The only argument I can think of, is that the concerning tag panel will look slightly less 'cluttered' when 'work' and 'movement' is not showing.
But the disadvantage is that users might get confused about what the consequences might be making a selection there.
In my opinion the tag editor should strive to just show 'what's what'.
That, or else having a tag editor that is completely configurable.
Choices about how things are being displayed, filtered and played are more suited and widely available in the stages after tagging.

Bee-liever

i have changed the tag editor to always show title
Thank you  :)  Works very well.

Now trying to look at it without (personal) prejudice, I am wondering what the added value of having a classical vs. non-classical selector in the tag editor panel is.
If your like me and already have your classical music set up to using the shorter movement title in the main display, the 'classical vs. non-classical selector' selects between showing the standard title or the combined "work: movement" as the title in the main panel

hiccup

If your like me and already have your classical music set up to using the shorter movement title in the main display, the 'classical vs. non-classical selector' selects between showing the standard title or the combined "work: movement" as the title in the main panel

Yes, but that's also the point (I think) I am trying to make here.
It will be confusing (it is to me at this moment) that selecting "show classical tags" in the tag editor, has repercussions on how things are displayed and handled further on.
Either this is a setting that indeed only changes the layout and view within the Tag Editor, or it is also some 'switch' that has consequences on how the files are displayed/filtered/played afterwards.
This needs to be more clear in my opinion.
Something like a checkbox might be of use here. Then it will be very clear that something is actually 'triggered' for that file.
(i.e. writing the tag showmovement=1)
Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:11:17 AM by hiccup

alec.tron

To chime in with yet another opinion...
I would love to be able to set/customize which fields are shown on page1/tab1 of the Tag Editor window as I for example do not use the conductor/performer field, but would prefer to see others in their place on page1, which I want quick access to, but which by default are on page2/tab2.
Cheers.
c.

hiccup

I have  a proposal/wish to make it a lot easier to make use of the new work/movement feature.

When selecting to use work/movement for a track(s) in the tag editor, for tracks that don't have the 'work' and 'movement' tag frames populated yet, these tags show up empty.
Then next you will have to fill them yourself by doing (a lot of) copy/pasting.

I have a proposal to make this a lot easier and user friendly:

There already is a consensus on how the title of a classical track should be constructed.

It has been good practice to have the title containing all available information, including the work, the act, the movement, the section, etc, and having these items separated by agreed-on delimiters.

So the title of a classical track would look like this (for a track that does contain most of these items) :

the name of the work it belongs to
then a comma , after which the catalog number (opus#, BWV###) and/or it's sub-title.
then a colon : after which the name of the composition
then a hyphen - after which the name of the section or movement*

(* note that this 'movement' is not identical to the tag frame also named 'movement')

It would be great if MusicBee had a button in the tag editor, that when pressed, auto-fills the tag frame 'work' with the string before the colon delimiter, and the tag 'movement' with the contents after that colon.

To any classical aficionados reading this, please check if I indeed have this all correct, and feel free to chip in if you think I am making any wrong assumption here.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just for comparison, here is the MusicBrainz classical title guide: https://beta.musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Classical/Track/Title
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Yes, that seems identical to what the 'iTunes style guide' also suggests. (dictates ;-)
https://help.apple.com/itc/musicstyleguide/en.lproj/static.html
(section 26. Track Titles)