Author Topic: Playlist entry relative 'Locate' function on non-missing tracks ?  (Read 1751 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
as playlists go, sometimes you get better encodings/versions of the same track and want to update the playlist entries.
So I was hoping to use the'Locate' functionality MusicBee kicks off when double-clicking a missing file from a playlist - which then allows you to point to a different file.
I can not seem to find this in the menus anywhere... does this exist on its' own ?
Or is the only way to trigger this to first remove/rename the original file, restart/rescan MB, then use the missing file context to access the 'Locate' menu ?

Cheers.
c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can use Send To > File (Replace) to do this.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

alec.tron

You can use Send To > File (Replace) to do this.
In right click menu ?
I could only find:
Send To > Folder (Replace)

Which does something else entirely for me...i.e. it moved the new / pointed-to-file (a better .flac version [of the same in a different location]) to the replaced-file location on disc. This resulted in a single flac file being removed from where it was before, and is now sitting in the 320kbps version of the same album.
Once I moved the file back to where it belonged (I still wish there was a way to disable ALL file movement convenience functions as I consider this harmfull, especially if there's no user warnings about the implications either).

Funnily enough - now that I moved the flac file, which was moved by MusicBee in the background, back to where it belongs, and re-starting MusicBee to use the missing file 'locate' trick - it now does not pop up with the locate window - instead it just pops up an error window 'Can't find file'. After giving MB the usual 4-6 minutes to scan the whole library, it finally realized it's gone, and offered the missing file dialogue and the 'locate' function on double click again.

Is there a
Send To > File (Replace)
? If it is - where would I find that ?
or did you meant the
Send To > Folder (Replace)
function, which did the above...?

Cheers.
c.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, sorry.  If you're just wanting to change the playlist entry, add the new file and delete the old one.  That's the only way.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

alec.tron

Heya,
yea, that would work for 1 entry in 1 playlist.
The beauty of the locate function for me though is (since I use playlists to document past sets I've played live and on radio... and I'm doing this for +10 years already, so there's a fair amount of playlists involved...) that it replaces multiple occurrences of the same file... which I would love to use actively, without having to temp-delete the to-be-updated file first to get MusicBee to give me the relocate option in order to swap out a single file in multiple playlists...
Guess I'll post a wishlist thread and keep using the temp-delete trick to get to the 'locate' function.
Cheers.
c.