Author Topic: Ability to disable drag and drop tagging.  (Read 8709 times)

krissasaur

I feel like I am about ready to stop using Musicbee because of this.... I am trying to update all my tags because Musicbee allows me to use the ";" character which Wianmp didn't allow, and I have always wanted this feature for genres. I love everything about this player, and it has so many other feature I have wanted from Winamp for years... but I keep messing up my tags by dragging and dropping and then accidentally clicking yes. I am.... so stressed out.... right now.

And then when I go and retag and fix them, if I can even find what I accidentally dragged... (There are several things in my library now that I have no idea were retagged... I am really annoyed lol.) They refuse to update back to the correct tags.

Please give us an option to kill this feature.

Like, I know this is my fault for accidentally clicking yes too fast without reading, and I know it's my fault for accidentally clicking my mouse causing something to drag and drop in the first place..... but.... please.... Make this something I can turn off.

redwing

If you're referring to drag and drop tracks to an item in column browser and their corresponding tags getting updated, I'm not sure disabling that functionality makes any sense as it's how column browser is designed to work.
If such an accident happens again, immediately go to Edit> Undo and recover previous tags for those affected files. But note that undo functionality is effective only during the current session (if you restart MB, no way to undo changes made in previous session) and until any other tag changes are made (can't undo changes made before the most recent changes).

redwing

Also note that Additional tagging tools plugin supports backup and restore of tags: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18426.0

It's still in development to improve performance but completely usable already.

krissasaur

Yea I mean in column browser.

I don't understand why this is a feature that couldn't be disabled. I actually can't personally fathom why this is a feature at all or why anyone would even want this to happen. Even if you mean to drag it to retag an artist or album or whatever.... over all it still feels dangerous to me. It seems so easy to mess up?

It just makes perfect sense to have the ability to disable it, as not everyone will use it. It is extremely easy to accidentally drag and bump "yes." and then have your music library a mess without even knowing you did anything to it, which in turn, you wouldn't know to undo the mistake, either.

Or looking at it, right now for me undo says "File Tags: Rating - 1 File." What if I use my hotkey to rate a few songs I had been listening to, and then notice I am missing something in my library? Undo would undo things I don't want it to (the ratings), and would I even be able to undo something 5 or so steps back? And like you said if I had closed it before noticing Musicbee retagged something.... Out of luck. If I am lucky I can search for what I know is missing... but If I don't know what it was the tags will be wrong until I notice... and if I play all of my library (meaning I won't be looking as Musicbee when I listen.) that risks possibly messing up my last.fm tags as well.

I love Musicbee so far, but the fact that I know I could easily mess up my tags for over 35k files... at the click of a button..... and then make me have to manually go in and fix them all... or not even know what was changed... (as I have too many files to easily notice a small change)... I don't feel safe using it? It scares me to know this is a possibility?

I don't know. I really want to just be able to disable this...

I feel bad complaining about this, but this is something very serious and scary for me.

I hope I do not come off as rude. Not my intention.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1

Or at least find a way to make this function more "visible."  Even if they would use it, I bet many people don't know it exists because it's not an obvious use.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

theta_wave

This is a thing?  I never knew about this feature nor did I ever feel compelled to drag files to the column browser.  Is this what you are doing for mass tagging or when you are trying to fill playlists?

Anyways, to see what you recently edited, you can add the "date modified" column to the main window and sort by that field, or create an autoplaylist dedicated to doing just that.

As for pet peeves, mine has to be how easy to alter a tag when clicking a song in the main window.  I remember a setting that disabled in-line tag editing when clicking a track in the main window, but for the life of me I can't find it in v3.1 despite having disabled it under v3.0.
Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:31:09 AM by ssri

phred

• Global Moderator
Like, I know this is my fault for accidentally clicking yes too fast without reading, and I know it's my fault for accidentally clicking my mouse causing something to drag and drop in the first place..... but.... please.... Make this something I can turn off.
It's part of the learning curve. You admit that it's your own fault, dragging, dropping, clicking too fast without reading. Slow down and learn to do it correctly and patiently. I've been using MB since 2009 and this is the first time I've seen a complaint about this "issue." I can't see Steven putting time into this unless more users were experiencing the same thing. And so far, they're not.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

krissasaur

Is this what you are doing for mass tagging or when you are trying to fill playlists?

If you are asking me, I am just accidentally holding my mouse button down and moving it. I am not trying to do anything. But if you let go in the column browser it retags to whatever you dropped it on. It does have a popup, but its very easy to accidentally click yes. And example of why this scares me is I could accidentally drag all of artist#1 to artist#2, and now artist#1 is tagged artist#2 instead.

I also earlier accidentally dragged an artist to one of their albums. This changed every song by that artist (which had about 20 albums) to now all say they were from the same album....

As for pet peeves, mine has to be how easy to alter a tag when clicking a song in the main window.  I remember a setting that disabled in-line tag editing when clicking a track in the main window, but for the life of me I can't find it in v3.1 despite having disabled it under v3.0.

I noticed this as well and have accidentally double clicked on a few things. I would also like to turn this off if possible. I am not as worried about this at the moment though as one tag getting messed up isn't as bad as my fear of messing up my entire library with one click.

It's part of the learning curve. You admit that it's your own fault, dragging, dropping, clicking too fast without reading. Slow down and learn to do it correctly and patiently.

Okay, well I still feel like it is a serious issue that a program which promotes itself as something that can manage large libraries has the ability to easily mess up hundreds of tags with a single mis-click.

Also, I really don't think this is something that can be considered a learning curve. I have always had trouble with being... Nervous? Twitchy? Anxiety in general? (I don't really know how to word that.) If it can be mis-clicked, or even knocked over in real life, I will do it. I kind of panic before mentally reacting to things. If I could easily just slow down and learn like you said I would have years ago.

Either way, I don't really think it matters what my reasons for making the mistake is, because I think having the ability to mess up hundreds of tags with one little mistake seems like a really big deal.... And it seems logical to me to allow people to protect their files from mistakes like this if they feel they need to. (Or know it will be an issue for them.)

theta_wave

If you are asking me, I am just accidentally holding my mouse button down and moving it. I am not trying to do anything. But if you let go in the column browser it retags to whatever you dropped it on. It does have a popup, but its very easy to accidentally click yes. And example of why this scares me is I could accidentally drag all of artist#1 to artist#2, and now artist#1 is tagged artist#2 instead.

I also earlier accidentally dragged an artist to one of their albums. This changed every song by that artist (which had about 20 albums) to now all say they were from the same album....
Ah, I see.  Well then, this wishlist request is a +1 from me.  At least expose this option in MB's settings ini.

As for pet peeves, mine has to be how easy to alter a tag when clicking a song in the main window.  I remember a setting that disabled in-line tag editing when clicking a track in the main window, but for the life of me I can't find it in v3.1 despite having disabled it under v3.0.
I noticed this as well and have accidentally double clicked on a few things. I would also like to turn this off if possible.
I swear this was an option under v3.0 (even the wiki says so http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging), but I'm having difficulty finding it in the preferences of v3.1.  Anyways, I found it in MB's settings ini.  So, open the following MB's settings ini with any text editor (copying and pasting this in file explorer should automatically open it using your system's default text editor):
Code
%AppData%\MusicBee\MusicBee3Settings.ini

and change the following value from false to true:
Code
<NavigatorDisableInPlaceEditing>false</NavigatorDisableInPlaceEditing>
Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:07:09 PM by ssri

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I moved your wiki edit to the Tags Preferences page, where it shows that setting.  I'll look when I get home later to see if I can find it in 3.1.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

fabulario

I swear this was an option under v3.0 (even the wiki says so http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging), but I'm having difficulty finding it in the preferences of v3.1.

I'm using v3.1.6142 and in Preferences / tags (2) is the first option.

theta_wave

I swear this was an option under v3.0 (even the wiki says so http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging), but I'm having difficulty finding it in the preferences of v3.1.

I'm using v3.1.6142 and in Preferences / tags (2) is the first option.
:Facepalm:, gah!  Now it is my turn to feel sheepish...

krissasaur

theta_wave

i have added an option for v3.1:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
Thank you.  I'm confirming that this option works fine after using the latest update (3.1.1644).