Author Topic: Covert Art stopped showing after latest update on some files....  (Read 4578 times)

Ungo

So I’ve been using Musicbee for a few years now, love it, and never had any problems. However after the latest update I’ve ran into some issues. Randomly some Cover Art has disappeared after the update and I can’t figure out how to get it to show.  There is no rhyme or reason to what shows and what doesn’t. It doesn't effect my entire library. Just random albums.

If I click on any song in the album it (usually track 1's art is the cover art from my understanding) will show the artwork that is embedded but still shows “No Cover Art”. It also shows in the now playing but for whatever reason won’t show in the cover art part. I’ve tried manually choosing pictures (even putting random pictures just to see if it works), changing the source of where the image came from, rescanning my entire library, reset the artwork cache, etc.  I even deleted Musicbee completely and all the files associated with it, reinstalled, and still having the same problem. My last ditch effort was downloading the previous version and for whatever reason now that one isn’t displaying cover art on the same bands that were missing after the update.

I don’t know if a setting got changed or what but I’m at a loss. Nothing else has changed on my PC. For almost 2 weeks I’ve tried everything I can think of. I’ve attached a few pictures of what it’s doing (don’t judge my setup. I just reinstalled it again so haven’t had time to get it how I like). Anyone got any ideas?  

Steven

• Administrator
what version are you using (help/ about)
and if you edit the first track in the album, click on the Artwork tab and then the Save To button, what is the location(s) of the picture

edit:
also do you recall whether the problem tracks had artwork to start with ie. did you add artwork after adding to your library and if so, how did you add the artwork?
Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:53:33 AM by Steven

Ungo

I'm on version 3.0.6067

When I click on the "Save To" button it pops up with a check mark on embed picture in music file. Also there is a check mark on "Link Picture to this music track" and a check mark on "Link to an organized copy of the picture" to the cover.jpg folder.

And I don't really recall if the problem tracks have had artwork to start with or not. Most of my library has been established for a long time. I've always used MusicBrainz to tag everything, including artwork, before I add it to my MusicBee library. If MusicBrainz can't find the artwork or tags I manually add them using the tools in MusicBee. For Artwork I use "Search Internet for Picture". On the rare occasion that MusicBee can't find something I go to Google, choose a picture, and use MusicBee to manually add said picture through the Artwork Tab.

Like I said its really random on what got messed up and what didn't. I'll have entire discography's that are unaffected, then discography's where one album for whatever reason is affected. And the artwork is there and attached to the files, but, for whatever reason won't show it in the cover art area.

Steven

• Administrator
i suggest you reset the artwork cache: Tools/ Advanced/ Reset Artwork Cache

you might also update to the latest patch version from the first forum topic

Ungo

Alright. So I reset the artwork cache and updated to the latest version. Still having the same problem. However I did discover some very odd things after messing around with it all day in an attempt to fix it.

First thing I tried was deleting a few of the albums I'm having trouble with. After deleting them I redownloaded and/or reburned them and added them back into my library. Same problem. No fix. Tried tagging them through MB, MusicBrainz, manually, etc.

So I downloaded Media Monkey and Winamp. I loaded my entire library onto both and have zero problems with Cover Art showing. And like I said earlier I had zero problems with Musicbee until I updated to 3.0 and higher.

Next step was downloading a separate mp3 tagger (always used MusicBrainz but tried something else) and erased any pictures embedded into a few of the albums that I was having trouble with. I loaded MB back up, re-scanned everything, and used MB to select a picture by either the "Search the Internet for a Picture" option or the "Auto-Tag by Track" button and the "Update Missing Artwork". And it worked. Kind of.

So if I click on the "Album Artist" and the Album that appears near the top (meaning its one of the first visible ones on the list) the Cover Art will now show. However, If I have to scroll down the Cover Art won't show (meaning I tried the above fix but it won't work). However, when I scroll back up, the Cover Art that originally showed now disappears. I included a few pictures as an example if I didn't explain that correctly...

Example #1-Clicked on Eddie Money. Can't Hold Back Album now showing Cover Art-https://postimg.org/image/pphso2qq3/
Example#2-Scrolled down. Another album I was having trouble with-Cover Art not showing even after doing above fixes-https://postimg.org/image/5pmdufv87/
Example #3-Scrolled back up to original Eddie Money-Can't Hold Back Album-Now Cover Art is gone-https://postimg.org/image/7yy8r7xmj/

So yeah. I don't really know what to make of that. I hope it helps.

Steven

• Administrator
MB uses the first track in an album for the artwork. If you edit the first track and the artwork shows in the tag editor then there is no reason for MB to not show the artwork. So in your 2nd screenshot, as long as "Something to believe in" has a picture in the tag editor then there is no reason for MB not to show the artwork.
I wont spend any more time investigating this so you probably best switch to another app

Ungo

MB uses the first track in an album for the artwork. If you edit the first track and the artwork shows in the tag editor then there is no reason for MB to not show the artwork. So in your 2nd screenshot, as long as "Something to believe in" has a picture in the tag editor then there is no reason for MB not to show the artwork.
I wont spend any more time investigating this so you probably best switch to another app

Yeah, in my second example if I go to the tag editor it shows the picture that SHOULD show up in the Cover Art but doesn't. If I click on "Something to believe in" song, it shows the picture assigned to the album in several places but won't show it as Cover Art.  Or any other song in that album for that matter.  So its there but for whatever reason it doesn't show up as Cover Art. And in my 3rd example, when I scroll back up to the "Can't Hold Back" album it shows "No Cover Art" but if I click on any song in that album it shows the correct Cover Art in different areas in MB.

I don't want to switch to another app and I don't understand why you are saying it'd be best if I switched to another app.  I've used MB for Music/Podcasts/Phone Sync/basic Radio for years now and have had zero problems up until recently and it has been a mainstay of my life.  And I've turned a bunch of friends onto MB.  My only purpose of trying MM and Winamp in this scenario was to see if I could recreate the problem and debug the issue. Not cause controversy. I've used MB for years and I want to continue to do so and I've always used MB successfully until the latest "big" update. I also feel like since the Cover Art shows briefly until I scroll away must mean its just some random bug.  So please don't feel like I'm insulting you. Please feel free to PM me with any other possible scenarios or solutions. Thanks.
Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:51:54 AM by Ungo

Steven

• Administrator
what is the location(s) of the primary artwork that works and the location for the files it doesn't. You can see the location in the Tag Editor/ Artwork tab/ Save To... button

Sofocl

I confirm the strange behavior of the version 3 with covers...

3 version does not see some of the cover until it put them in the library, as the same do not see the file with arbitrary name, for example "Abracadabra.jpg"
In version 2.5 it works well.

Perhaps related to the error:
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator
@Sofocl, what you show with an external file not in the library being added that way from windows explorer is true and i have fixed that for the next v3 patch update. I dont think its related to the OP issue as yours is a very specific workflow for this bug.

Steven

• Administrator

Sofocl

for the issue raised by sofocl
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing files where MB is installed

The problem is saved to files with "cue":

Do not address the issue of the second screenshot
By the way what is the difference of these two items?
Sorry for my bad English.

Sidar

+1 to both Sofocl screenshots

I could not get the combination of .flac/.ape files (with embedded cuesheets) and folder.jpg to show any artwork. As soon as I switched to embedded artwork it worked flawlessly.
I also had the second screenshot happen when trying to fix the first problem.

Steven

• Administrator
external artwork using the same workflow for cuesheets is addressed for the next v3 patch update