Author Topic: Listenbrainz as alternative to last.fm  (Read 6040 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounds like ListenBrainz is close to being a viable alternative to scrobbling with last.fm.  I'm not clear on if it's ready now, but I hope it can be implemented as soon as possible:

https://blog.musicbrainz.org/2016/08/23/gsoc-16-listenbrainz-fun/
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
With last.fm being weird, it seems like a good time to think about ListenBrainz again. There's a post up on their forum asking about desired features/capabilities right now: https://community.metabrainz.org/t/what-do-you-want-in-listenbrainz/444888
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

karaluh

I wrote a ListenBrainz plug-in, keep in mind that this is a very early version. https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31275.0
ListenBrainz plugin for MusicBee:
https://github.com/karaluh/ScrobblerBrainz

Rotom

+1.

ListenBrainz now has features which puts it on par with Last.fm, such as the ability to see more detailed statistics (compared to early versions of LB), marking tracks as loved and hated, recommendations, and social activity. Karaluh's plugin is good to tide us over, but I think it would be better if MusicBee has officially supported integration for ListenBrainz.

Keep in mind that this will require MusicBee to support MusicBrainz IDs in tags, too.

phred

• Global Moderator
I wrote a ListenBrainz plug-in, keep in mind that this is a very early version. https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=31275.0
Please post this in the Plugins section and put a link to it in this thread.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

+1.

ListenBrainz now has features which puts it on par with Last.fm, such as the ability to see more detailed statistics (compared to early versions of LB), marking tracks as loved and hated, recommendations, and social activity. Karaluh's plugin is good to tide us over, but I think it would be better if MusicBee has officially supported integration for ListenBrainz.

Keep in mind that this will require MusicBee to support MusicBrainz IDs in tags, too.
No offense and I appreciate product/service evangelizing as much as the next guy (I evangelize MB often), but there is nothing about ListenBrainz that is "on par" with Last.fm. Any feature ListenBrainz has that is similar to a Last.fm feature is done worse by ListenBrainz.  You can't even click a listen to get a listen history for a song. You can't click an artist and get a profile of the artist or a history of your listens to an artist. 

Not to say that it won't ever be equal or better, but it's been years now and it's still a shell of a service that IMO isn't worth the effort it would take to integrate it.  If the plugin works, why bother?

Rotom

+1.

No offense and I appreciate product/service evangelizing as much as the next guy (I evangelize MB often), but there is nothing about ListenBrainz that is "on par" with Last.fm. Any feature ListenBrainz has that is similar to a Last.fm feature is done worse by ListenBrainz.  You can't even click a listen to get a listen history for a song. You can't click an artist and get a profile of the artist or a history of your listens to an artist.  

Not to say that it won't ever be equal or better, but it's been years now and it's still a shell of a service that IMO isn't worth the effort it would take to integrate it.  If the plugin works, why bother?

The plugin is still limited right now, compared to the last.fm plugin.

Submitting "live"/now playing listens is one thing (considering implementing this myself), but the maintainer doesn't want to workaround the lack of MBID tags being exposed by using the Custom/Virtual tags. At the very least, it'd be a good idea for MusicBee to expose MBID tags natively.

Edit 14/02/22: Since I feel a bit like an ass for posting this (see below reply - apologies in advance), I'll just say that I've fully moved to ListenBrainz, as it's better for me personally in the long run and Last.fm really became unfit for what I want (e.g. freedom to change tags to how I want rather than how Last.fm wants) and because of that, I've since stuck my finger out and decided to contribute to ScrobblerBrainz. It's been fun, not gonna lie. I'm even working on grabbing MBID tags as of writing.

I still think MusicBee should expose MusicBrainz IDs to the player and the API, so configurations or plugins like ScrobblerBrainz that use them don't need a second library or custom tags to handle it, but that's on a different thread.
Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:47:42 PM by Rotom

karaluh

+1.

No offense and I appreciate product/service evangelizing as much as the next guy (I evangelize MB often), but there is nothing about ListenBrainz that is "on par" with Last.fm. Any feature ListenBrainz has that is similar to a Last.fm feature is done worse by ListenBrainz.  You can't even click a listen to get a listen history for a song. You can't click an artist and get a profile of the artist or a history of your listens to an artist. 

Not to say that it won't ever be equal or better, but it's been years now and it's still a shell of a service that IMO isn't worth the effort it would take to integrate it.  If the plugin works, why bother?

The plugin is still limited right now, compared to the last.fm plugin.

Submitting "live"/now playing listens is one thing (considering implementing this myself), but the maintainer doesn't want to workaround the lack of MBID tags being exposed by using the Custom/Virtual tags. At the very least, it'd be a good idea for MusicBee to expose MBID tags natively.

But I DO want to use MBIDs. It's even next on my TODO list. Don't hold your breath though, because I have very little free time lately.
ListenBrainz plugin for MusicBee:
https://github.com/karaluh/ScrobblerBrainz