Author Topic: Library issues  (Read 3421 times)

Geschmidtt

New user.  So I created a new library, the program worked for about 8 hours indexing the 183+ gigs of songs and things looked okay.  Apart from the overly confusing interface Music Bee looks promising.  Today I opened Music Bee and I have "396 gigs" and of course thousands of duplicate pointers.  Do I have to reindex the database everyday?  The music is on a network drive, mapped to the computer as Z: is that an issue?

theta_wave

Compare the file locations of one of the duplicates (highlight the file, edit the file [SHIFT+ENTER], Properties, Location).  Are they different to their corresponding files?  If so, are the duplicates showing up as dead links?  If they are showing up as dead links, that means your path has changed and you can sort your collection by Path (right click header row > Set Displayed Fields > add Path > Click the Path column) and remove the dead links from there.  Using Manage Duplicates (Musicbee > Tools > Manage Duplicates), you can hide the duplicates, I don't think that's an ideal solution.

Geschmidtt

SSRI, thanks for responding.

It looks like the path is coming from the mapped drive name Z:\ and the path name \\storage\music.  So I have thousands of duplicate entries, though interestingly not every file is duplicated at least as far as I can tell. 

I have looked at the Set Displayed Fields but Path is not one of the variables.  I am not seeing a method for creating Path as one of the custom fields.  Regardless, I am worried then if even Path was there, would I have to manually sort through the 28,000 songs and delete the duplicates manually that way?  It would probably be a lot better to go to the data base and write a select delete query but I am guessing the data is compiled or...

I would happily delete the entire database and rebuild it but I am worried that I will have this duplicate issue again. 

theta_wave

I have looked at the Set Displayed Fields but Path is not one of the variables.
Are you sure?

It looks like the path is coming from the mapped drive name Z:\ and the path name \\storage\music.  So I have thousands of duplicate entries, though interestingly not every file is duplicated at least as far as I can tell.

First things first.  Which Musicbee version are you running?  Mine is 3.0.x

Geschmidtt

Hi, yes my version is 3.0.5995.

Here is my Display Fields screen

Sorry about the huge pictures.  Didn't expect that!
Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:07:01 PM by Geschmidtt

alec.tron

Odd... I have the 'Path' column enabled in at least one tab on every MB version I tried... and it was always there.
Maybe try the latest patched version (not sure about the exact version #, but there's a few odd things that were fixed here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18462.0 ) and if it persists, post in the Bugs sub-forum that the Path column is missing for you. Stephen is very good in replying to those.
Cheers.
c.

Geschmidtt

So I installed the latest version and then ran the patch.  Patch fixed a few things I had noticed, which is great, but it did not give me the Path field in the Set Displayed Column dialog.  I found the Path field in the Preferences Sort By field, but I can't find it anywhere else.  I have the exact same fields in this version as I have in the screenshots I uploaded.  I suppose I can uninstall everything and start over.  On the other hand I may have the same issues anyway with a new installation and new database.  Other ideas?

phred

• Global Moderator
 Other ideas?
There's definitely something screwy going on with your 'set displayed fields' window. From your screenshot, you seem to be missing a number of fields.

As alec.tron already suggested, post the issue in the Bug Reports section and include a link to this thread.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

Path field is not supported for column browser.
Change to "Album & Tracks" view or "Tracks" view, right click on the column header of the main panel> Set displayed fields, then you will find the field.

alec.tron

Change to "Album & Tracks" view or "Tracks" view, right click on the column header of the main panel> Set displayed fields, then you will find the field.
This!
This info should ideally be inside the 'Set Displayed Fields' window (eg. Path with a mouse-over event showing info why it is disabled).
c.

Geschmidtt

Cool!  So I found the Path when I switched to Tracks Detail view and am able to sort.  What I have found as I said before is I have the same files as two paths Z:\ and //Storage/Music.  If I select all of the files in //Storage/Music, for example, and choose delete will I get the option to remove files from MusicBee and not delete from disk.  Also, which path should I choose optimally, the mapped drive or the URL?  How do I avoid this duplication in the future?

redwing

New user.  So I created a new library, the program worked for about 8 hours indexing the 183+ gigs of songs and things looked okay.  Apart from the overly confusing interface Music Bee looks promising.  Today I opened Music Bee and I have "396 gigs" and of course thousands of duplicate pointers.  Do I have to reindex the database everyday?  The music is on a network drive, mapped to the computer as Z: is that an issue?

Everything you said doesn't sound right. For less than 200 GB of music files, 8 hours of scanning makes no sense. Also no idea why your mapped drive and the same network URL get duplicate tracks.
I would suggest you file a bug report on Bug Reports board referencing this topic.