Author Topic: Can't Get MB To Find Song Files on SD Card  (Read 1978 times)

borninkansas

Bought an HP Stream Tablet (Windows 8.1). Device memory was too small for my music library so I manually loaded all of my m4a song  files (by USB from my desktop PC) onto a micro SD card and inserted it into the tablet. Downloaded latest version of MB and did a scan. MB can't find the SD card. No music found. How do I get MB to locate/recognize the SD card and its contents. After stumbling around in Preferences for quite some time, I went into Devices tab, where "Removable Disk" was shown as a "known device" so I then tried adding a virtual device. So Devices now show "Removable Disk" and "Virtual Device (d:)".

Tried Preferences>Library>Monitored Folders>Choose Folders....in which that window only shows Downloads, Libraries, and Local Disk (C:). It won't show (D:).

I am totally stumped and frustrated in trying to get MB to talk to and interact with 3,000 songs loaded manually onto the SD card. And this stupid tablet does not have a USB port to connect directly to my PC, in order for me to go into Windows Explorer or MusicBee Explorer to perform any actions.

Help Please???  It shouldn't be this hard. I have already spent hours searching the Wiki "how to" pages but I can't find my solution in the Devices or Sync pages.

hiccup

Hi Welcome to the forum borninkansas

Your explanation of the situation is slightly confusing. It seems you skipped the step to point your MusicBee library to your CF card, and are already experimenting with 'virtual devices' and 'monitored folders', which are not relevant for getting the music from the CF card into your MusicBee library.
I would suggest that you don't touch those features if you don't understand yet what they are for.

First thing to check is if Windows recognizes your CF card, assigned a drive letter to it, and shows it contents.

Then you should point your library (or create a new one) to the CF card by using it's drive letter and it's folder structure.

Does your tablet recognize the CF card, and was a drive letter assigned to it by Windows?
Can Windows read and write from and to it without any problem?
(if not, it will be impossible for MusicBee to find it and it's contents)
Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:43:47 PM by hiccup

borninkansas

Greetings Hiccup. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond to my frustration. I am out of town right now and am away from my devices, so when I get back on Monday or Tuesday, I will investigate further and provide a less convoluted explanation of what I ran into when I loaded my MB song library, directly onto the SD card.....and doing that within the MusicBee Explorer window on my main PC. After loading all of the music files onto the SD card, that is where I ran into the roadblock on the Tablet.

I do know that my main PC recognized the SD card and assigned a drive letter to it. And when I clicked on the Removable Drive, all of my songs showed on the card.

I then removed the newly loaded card from my PC and inserted it into the SD slot on the HP Tablet and then prompted MB (on the Tablet), to do a scan for music files, at which point it said no files found.

I may simply want to start over with a clean SD card (which I certainly don't have a problem with) and follow some steps that you might be willing to give. That might be easier than trying to trouble shoot steps already taken in case my previous steps were not the most direct way to solve the problem on the Tablet.

Many thanks, and I will touch base in a couple of days. In the meantime if you think it would be more productive to give this novice step by step instructions on how to go from an empty SD card inserted into my main PC where MB is functioning perfectly, and then moving it into the new Tablet, following the right steps, I would certainly welcome that. Because I could follow those steps to see if success is achieved (instead of trying to trouble shoot my existing condition.)

hiccup

To be honest, I can't speak from experience in using MusicBee's library with removable storage.
So perhaps another member with experience with this can give you some good tips and advice on that.
Also I am pretty sure you should be able to find some existing forum posts on this matter.

good luck!