Author Topic: Organizing files with multiple Artist tag  (Read 2738 times)

StefanIvanovic

It would be a nice touch if there was an option to somehow one (leading?) artist is added if multiple artist is tagged, so if there is a something like this:

01 Mediterranean Sundance Rio Ancho.flac which naming template is <Disc-Track#> <Title>
(from Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia album Friday Night in San Francisco) to be changed into:

01 Al Di Meola - Mediterranean Sundance Rio Ancho.flac which is <Disc-Track#> <Artist> - <Title>

With multiple artists we are getting very long names like this:

01 Al Di Meola; John McLaughlin; Paco De Lucia - Mediterranean Sundance Rio Ancho.flac

This is just an example given, I guess you got my point.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think if you change <Artist> in your template to $First(<Artist>), you'll get the result you want.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

StefanIvanovic

Yes, that did the trick! Thanks! But honestly that is not something one would easily think of, maybe some UI part could do this like in "Add exception" and "Artist + Has multiple values + Use first tag", or something like that, I don't know...

theta_wave

Yes, that did the trick! Thanks! But honestly that is not something one would easily think of, maybe some UI part could do this like in "Add exception" and "Artist + Has multiple values + Use first tag", or something like that, I don't know...
I don't know Steven's feelings on this but my opinion is that the gui is pretty packed as it is now and adding more UI elements may overwhelm a new user if not already with the existing one.  Then again, that's the nature of music managers that offer such a large amount of control to the user when it comes to managing a collection.

Plus, Musicbee does not use that many functions (considerably less than foobar2000), so it shouldn't take one too long to peruse the list to see if any of them helps solve a problem: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions

StefanIvanovic

There is already Add Exception UI element in File Organizer, I just proposed to add this option as well under it's Artist option, that is the easiest way to do it and won't make any additional UI clutter.

thereallyhappysock

but with this you must know what you want it to start with. If I read it right, the op is talking about organizing/renaming by the first artist in the list, he cares not about which one it is. I think it's rather likely that the first artist will also be the primary artist, or as I like tho think of it, the host artist.

for example, There's a song with Norah Jones and Dolly Parton together. Both are major names, but since Norah was the artist holding the concert, she's the Host and I consider it to be her song. In my collection she is the first name in the artist list.

StefanIvanovic

That is just fine. If there are multiple artist it doesn't mean that they will sorted alphabetically or any other way. First artist added when tagging will always be first in the list of artists. Supposing that music is properly tagged what you suggest would not be a problem, I think.