Author Topic: Big Trouble after my Music Files harddisk crashed  (Read 2698 times)

WimYogya

Hello,
A crash of the harddisk where I keep my music files created big trouble, apparently. Steps to get things back are not completely successful. And I absolutely have no clue how to continue. I hope you can be patient enough to read my step-by-step description and be of any help.
For a good understanding first this:
• My library contains around 127.000 tracks
• The .mbl file is stored on my internal D drive, not affected.
• The music files are stored on my X drive - was completely unaccessable after the crash
• A backup of ALL music files had been made on my Z drive - the files are identical because I backed them up just before the crash of X.

This is what I did after I detected the crash:
1. I used chckdsk /f x: to repair drive X. Errors were found and successfully repaired.
2. I restarted MusicBee with the default .mbl library. The 127.000 track names were found - but all had an ! in front of them: the music files on drive X were not found at all.
3. I rescanned drive X for all folders containing the usual music files.
4. MB rescanned all and found around 121.000 files - so 6.000 seemed to be missing. I randomly searched for some volumes/cd's but could not come across any missing track. Not clear which 6000 were missing.
5. I copied the MB.mbl file with 121.000 tracks and renamed that copy to MB121000.mbl.
6. I used my sync software syncbackfree to sync all the music on my backup-Z drive to my repaired-X drive. Syncback reported that just 3 files could not be copied.
7. After this syncing the repaired X-drive still missed 6000 files, but after I did a rescan of the library, it SEEMED to find all or most of them.
8. But the scann error log said there were MANY MANY MANY errors found - and these files can NOT be found in the updated .mbl library. But when I search them manually they DO exist on the repaired-X drive and they CAN be played.
9. So the question is: what is wrong with all these files?
10. Is seems that all of them have an error message with one of the two following formats - which I both absolutely do not understand at all:

ERROR MESSAGE  TYPE 1:
26.07.2016 23:38:08 - 6.1.7601.65536 - 3.0.5995.40050 - System.Exception: 1 to X:\MB\! MUSIC\Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)\Mahler  Symphony 3 ©\3.02 Symphony no. 3 in D Minor - 2.1. Tempo di menuetto,  Sehr mässig.mp3 'Could not find file 'X:\MB\! MUSIC\Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)\Mahler  Symphony 3 ©\3.02 Symphony no. 3 in D Minor - 2.1. Tempo di menuetto, Sehr mässig.mp3'.' ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'X:\MB\! MUSIC\Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)\Mahler  Symphony 3 ©\3.02 Symphony no. 3 in D Minor - 2.1. Tempo di menuetto, Sehr mässig.mp3'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at #=q6MSefUwjpcw5OY_mCZIyD2MJcIW$OnWm9lngf6n719w=.#=qttVheUb1REBTui41cjeFBQ==(#=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=q5KH_QJ2RvdwTCzOAjvb1VQ==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qaBcUegP6SM5QMuT04kfr7Q==)
   at #=q6MSefUwjpcw5OY_mCZIyD2MJcIW$OnWm9lngf6n719w=.#=qbvgaYH0g6o8yf0_CPOzf2g==(#=qjkoo7espNQSII9GPN07YMDvwiXdtSiRR0ciFEI$_3f8= #=qsicMEKI4Xeek9uW$EHs9Qw==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qEAEJkKfQk$xelOK0yacE9g==)
   at MusicBee.Media.StorageManager.#=q_FP1dOjRUKDxeKvfANLEBA==(#=qjkoo7espNQSII9GPN07YMDvwiXdtSiRR0ciFEI$_3f8= #=q4UUnETkLhmVkoaBNlz$fYQ==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qpi2Vt_0HdThZ2q3RGNFouQ==)
   at #=qFgUdwVaaxU4Tm2mK7AbpT1xjr1TnwDob89lhpeZ3Bk8=.#=qMfsIozGm39qGxUCD_4_76g==(#=qjkoo7espNQSII9GPN07YMDvwiXdtSiRR0ciFEI$_3f8= #=qlGkh2iqzIdphHirouHjOiA==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qzGUcJoVPvj$46WaCWkaKMA==, List`1 #=qYej9UR33w2RhXE7TlbCjlw==, #=q7Be8Rg9srZg_kDJGytrQY$LmBhBJjDQCfar01CPyAcQ= #=q5CpNHe2WZx4fbC97C_X7ng==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qsYOfuJhMTWnVg04ogizN8hjJr6OIrIUlCDIpgVH0yyE=)
   at #=qFgUdwVaaxU4Tm2mK7AbpT1xjr1TnwDob89lhpeZ3Bk8=.#=qphwHGLpchPua51AK_XaRpA==(#=q7Be8Rg9srZg_kDJGytrQY$LmBhBJjDQCfar01CPyAcQ= #=qw9qC3aPzKR2IRyy3zlnzvQ==, #=qjkoo7espNQSII9GPN07YMDvwiXdtSiRR0ciFEI$_3f8= #=qpbinyA0ZFLywHv4AxuiuKA==, Boolean #=qvwb_GniCzj1rOh6ovwQG6w==, #=qLFvJSglTftxhrRhQbsqwJg== #=qTvqdRSCK_C9EXVKF3jD$52WPSTcIdz2odOIoS0UYkT8=)
   at #=qN4wF6qXXs3K$LKnkWmCCzxrIIW7laJKtBVyrsLeYaKq$LvRC4y93wsEaG3dljdV8.#=qjsTlNpEoY5V0Tm$ec1b79vwWMmr6HaA26g7HjDgZnu4=(IList`1 #=qZG1c8oX2hyx6xwtotGc2mg==, Boolean #=q24$KGeXQnx2M9eTY_JCQWg==, Boolean #=qH0esQpWxkeX59URsJh0YJNt$W4_vUgDkf_Cg8kkYbAE=)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

ERROR MESSAGE  TYPE 2:
26.07.2016 23:39:15 - Unable to scan: X:\MB\! MUSIC\Paul Mauriat; James Last\Grand Collection - Russian album\03 Ochi Chernye.mp3 - System.Exception:1 to X:\MB\! MUSIC\Paul Mauriat; James Last\Grand Collection - Russian album\03 Ochi Chernye = Dark Eyes.mp3 'Could not find file 'X:\MB\! MUSIC\Paul Mauriat; James Last\Grand Collection - Russian album\03 Ochi Chernye.mp3'.'

The good news seems to be that, thanks to my autobackup last night I still have ALL my music files safely copied on my Z-drive.
But the burning question is: how do I get them back on my repaired-X drive in such a way that MB can read/scan/play them.

Sorry for being detailed. I tried to give you insight in what I did - which already was a lot...
Now my skills end. Anyone else?
Thanks!

Wim

WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

hiccup

The exclamation marks in the paths might be a problem.
(and maybe they indicate corrupt files/folders?)

WimYogya

@Hiccup:
No, because the exclamation marks disappeared after I had done a new rescan of the repaired-X drive.
And all folders/tracks are accessible and can be played 'outside' MB, just by browsing and using another player. So no corruption there!
WimYogya

WimYogya

Still struggling to get the complete music collection back from backup-drive-Z to repaired-drive-X.
So far unsuccessful, even after syncing Z with X: MB then says it DID add around 6000 files, but when done those files are not included in the total number: 121.000 and not 127.000.
After the newest attempt even 120.000.
The log file shows messages that I cannot understand:
1. See the examples below
2. Many files are reported to be removed because they were dead links - but if I go to the relevant folder/file all is normal there.
3. What means: 27.07.2016 12:47:17 - auto sweep failed - ? What IS auto sweep? Why did it fail? What am I supposed to do?

My newest attempt will be the following:
1. I will completely DELETE all music files from my X-drive.
2. After that I will copy them (back) from my backup-Z drive
3. I already created a new .mbl file scanning the collection on Z - it contains the expected 127.000 files.
4. I will make a copy of that complete library, pointing to the music files on X
5. I will rescan X for new files, to see if new strange changes will happen.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Auto-sweep is a setting under library preferences.  If it is set to use a folder that no longer exists, that would cause the files not to be added.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Aevaris

If you have a backup of the files, why not just scratch your existing MB library and make a new one?

WimYogya

At the moment I am doing exactly that.
But it takes lots of time and patience.
The first attempt failed in a mysterious way:
I copied all my backedup music files from Z to X - identical twins!
But the libraries of both are NOT identical: Z has 6000 tracks more than X.
How is that possible?

Second attempt on the way now....
WimYogya

thereallyhappysock

stop copying the files from z to x

new library then IMPORT from z

is it possible that the difference in number of files is related to non music files? such as hidden windows files or artwork, etc..?

WimYogya

@happysock
Sorry for my late reply. I was a few days out of town and could not work on my library.
After that I experimented, but your solution still left differences between the X and the Z disks.
Since X had crashed and been repaired perhaps these processes might have left some 'erroneous' file information behind on X.
So I formatted X (only music there) and copied all music from Z to X.
Then both collections were identical and the libraries as well.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Wim
WimYogya