Author Topic: Virtual Device [renamed]  (Read 5002 times)

V4lve

Hey.  Been away for a while (busy on other things) but back with a couple of interesting ideas.  

I recently acquired a SE X10 Mini (a truly wondrous device!) and wondering how I might take advantage of it's wireless capabilities to sync music with MusicBee.  I have been playing with Dropbox for Android and thinking it might be nice to be able to treat one of my Dropbox folders on my PC as a virtual device in MusicBee.  e.g. be able to sync a playlist with it or transcode while copying stuff to it.  That would allow me to download the synced music in that folder to my X10 mini through it's Dropbox wirelessly.  Also it would be great if sync could happen both ways.  Rather than delete stuff from my device that is not on the MusicBee playlist (because I downloaded it straight to my X10) why not import it to MusicBee.

What do you all think?

Ta

V
Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:44:36 PM by V4lve

thegreyspot

Well correct me if I am wrong, the dropbox app for android doesn't actually download anything.  Its just like the web interface where you have to choose a file "on demand" and then it will download it. So you would have to go download the playlist and the music one by one...

Or is that wrong?

V4lve

Yes.  But you can also stream from it.  I hadn't considers adding the playlist too.  Let me try that out

V4lve

Hi.  I would like to resurrect this idea.  Now discovered a SAMBA app for Android that allows me to add the Music folder on my phone as a share in MusicBee over WIFI.  I can drag and drop stuff to it but it would be great if I could have this share shown as a device with all the Music folder, playlist and podcast functionality etc.  

Steven

• Administrator
are you able to map the path to a drive letter eg. using the "SUBST z: x:\abc" command?
if so i can do a quick thing to support this

Steven

• Administrator
i've added a command to set a drive as a virtual device. Just right click on the drive letter/Manage Folders/Set X: as a Virtual Device
From then on the drive will appear as a device, from which you can synch to the same as a USB device.
To reset it back to a fixed drive, right click on the virtual device/Set X: as a Fixed Drive

Its in the next update

Lotheilian

H....  Also it would be great if sync could happen both ways.  Rather than delete stuff from my device that is not on the MusicBee playlist (because I downloaded it straight to my X10) why not import it to MusicBee.

Virtual device is cool (as the whole program :-)) but is it somehow possible to syncronize in both directions ?