Author Topic: Creating custom tags  (Read 5378 times)

so_la_la

Hi,
I was trying to read out a tag I once created in Media Monkey where MM would store AutoAccurate ratings. MM called this mp3-tag COMMENT/SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5.
So I created an identifier and matched the mp3-tag COMMENT/SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5 to this identifier.
Musicbee then proceeded to reread the database (or sth like that) but came up with no entries.
I have already tried COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5 but this as well didn't help the issue.
As far as I can remember this was the way I succeeded with other tags. Why not this time?
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

theta_wave

Hello fellow Mediamonkey refugee,

First, check "other sources" here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags

Second, make sure what you entered under "New Custom Tag Definition" matches exactly what was seen under Tag Inspector: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging#Tag_Inspector

Here's my Mediamonkey custom tags under Musicbee for example (as you can see, I named the identifier for the type of information found in my Mediamonkey custom tags):

Under "custom tags" (left window in my example above), remember to link the display name of the custom tag to the identifier you just made.

If you did everything correctly, hit apply and save for Musicbee to rescan your collection and save the custom tag information into its database.
Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:45:45 PM by ssri

so_la_la

Oh man it's working. I had written COMMENT/SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5 while it should be COMM/SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5. I only saw this after having had a look at your uploaded image file so thanks! (However, MP3tag reads this as COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5.)
I can see a lot of interesting tags you have created. Personally I love the Artist Top Tracks feature in Media Monkey where you can write the Last.fm popularity into a predefined tag. This is excellent for selecting songs for playlists. I have a lot of tags I no longer need. I am in the process of removing all replay gain-tags and redoing them, now collection-wise not album-wise.
BTW will removing tags remove the tags themselves or only the values?

Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

boroda

as far as i understand this command removes tags completely, but in most cases this wont free space in file header. i don't know when header is really compressed, but at least there should be very much unused space to this happens. maybe there are some 3d party tools to force compressing headers.

so_la_la

as far as i understand this command removes tags completely, but in most cases this wont free space in file header.
...which means that there is little point in removing tags for the sake of programme speed or file size?

boroda

if you really don't need some tags why not to remove them? after editing/adding/removing many tags much space may become unused and then mb will compress the header.

the problem is that headers are placed at the beginning of files, so to physically (not just logically) free space in header the whole file should be rewritten (but not re-encoded). that's why most apps compress header only if freed space is reasonably big. don't know what is 'reasonably big' space for mb, maybe Steven can answer.

theta_wave

Personally I love the Artist Top Tracks feature in Media Monkey where you can write the Last.fm popularity into a predefined tag. This is excellent for selecting songs for playlists.
Well, you can make a custom tag of it in Musicbee, just look how the field is represented under tag inspector.

I have a lot of tags I no longer need. I am in the process of removing all replay gain-tags and redoing them, now collection-wise not album-wise.
Replay gain is usually included by the encoder based on a reference sound threshold.  Unless you set it to something other than default, you are just going to get the same values.  As for removing such tags, make a autoplaylist where the replay gain field isn't empty, select all, SHIFT+ENTER and delete the tag.  For myself, I would likely export the autoplaylist to a m3u playlist and open the m3u in mp3tag.  Also, in my experience, deleting a single tag field under tag inspector wiped out all of the tags (I never got around to report it).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Replay gain is usually included by the encoder based on a reference sound threshold.  Unless you set it to something other than default, you are just going to get the same values

Except for the fact that MusicBee uses an update version of... Something, I don't understand all the technical details.  But it may actually have a different result.  There's a thread about it around somewhere
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

so_la_la

Well, you can make a custom tag of it in Musicbee, just look how the field is represented under tag inspector.
yep, this is what I'm doing. Sadly this means I will have to keep using MM. This isn't to say that this programme is bad I just want to stay with one programme and it's not always easy to either have to use the automonitor function (whatever it is called), which will slow down MM, or have a bunch of "unsynchronised tags".

As for removing such tags, make a autoplaylist where the replay gain field isn't empty, select all, SHIFT+ENTER and delete the tag.  For myself, I would likely export the autoplaylist to a m3u playlist and open the m3u in mp3tag.

I have just removed the volume adjustment which was an extra entry in the menu...

Also, in my experience, deleting a single tag field under tag inspector wiped out all of the tags (I never got around to report it).
Well this hasn't happened to me...

theta_wave

yep, this is what I'm doing. Sadly this means I will have to keep using MM. This isn't to say that this programme is bad I just want to stay with one programme and it's not always easy to either have to use the automonitor function (whatever it is called), which will slow down MM, or have a bunch of "unsynchronised tags".
For awhile, I had MM opened in the background while running MB.  Any changes\additions I made in MB were reflected in MM due to the latter's auto-monitoring of the same directories.  Likewise, I would imagine the same to be possible vice versa (in your case, using MM's last.fm add-on should be reflected in MB if the latter's auto-monitoring is turned on).

so_la_la

I don't know, MediaMonkey always insists on syncing tags and has this 'unsynced' thing all the time. I don't know but changes I make in MM do not show up in MB despite MM taking several hours to write some tags.

theta_wave

I don't know, MediaMonkey always insists on syncing tags and has this 'unsynced' thing all the time. I don't know but changes I make in MM do not show up in MB despite MM taking several hours to write some tags.
I don't know.  I've had a lifetime license with Mediamonkey for almost a decade and I never seen the "sync tag" message in MM Gold (read: paid). AFAIK, MM Gold has auto-monitoring of selected folders, thus any changes in MB are picked by my MM without any complaints.

so_la_la

I've had a lifetime license with Mediamonkey for almost a decade
Something is wrong with this sentence. ;-)

With me sth has gone wrong afaics.  I have had the tag  COMM/SONGS-DB_CUSTOM5 removed in MM and then rewritten it. However, MM had not deleted the old tags before. Now I have the same tag two times and sometimes three times. NB I have not a tag with three entries I have three tags of the same name in MP3tag.