Author Topic: Video  (Read 5498 times)

boroda

Steven, do you have any plans for video support in MB? If so, then I think you may add support for photos (at least .jpg and without any editing of photos).

P.S. And as already have been written, it would be great if video and visualization windows will be tabbed.
Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:54:42 PM by boroda74

phred

• Global Moderator
Steven...

I understand that you are the developer of this nifty little project, and as such you often implement what your users are asking for.  That being said, MusicBee is a fine **MUSIC** player and organizer.  Its name is not "VideoBee."  One of the joys of MB is that with all the great features you've added, the app has not become bloated.  If video is on the horizon, please make it a plug-in so that those of us who want MB to remain MB, don't have to add the extra weight.

Thanks for your consideration.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i agree phred - i am very conscious on keeping MusicBee focussed on music and not adding bloat/ compromising performance.
However i do think a lot of people want video, and there is a BASS plugin which is being developed and i feel probably has a couple more months needed to mature. So when the time comes it will be done as an plugin and should have no impact on MB if you dont use it.

boroda

I understand that MB is *MUSIC* organizer. And that MB is free. And that Steven can't satisfy all wishes of all users. But I think that MB *already* is best organizer and tag editor of media files and that it is more reasonable to add some functionality to existing program (of course if it is not too difficult and will not slow down MB significantly) then expect that somebody will write comfortable video organizer and photo organizer. Any way my request was more a question than a wish. :)
Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:05:39 PM by boroda74

phred

• Global Moderator
boroda74 - I agree with you 100%.  And while Steven can't satisfy the wishes of all MB users, it -is- the users that have made MB what it is today.   Of course Steven did all of the hard work - i.e. coding what we the users have asked for.  I'm sure he has his own road-map of where he sees MB heading.  I'm also sure the map has had a few detours due to user requests.  A good number of things that have appeared on the wishlist were poo-poo'd by myself (and others) either silently or on the forums.  And I, for one, found that a number of those things which were implemented turned out to be pretty useful. 

Steven - thanks for the input.  I try just about every new feature that's added.  The fact that this will be a plug-in makes it easy to try and then not use if it doesn't fit my needs.  Who knows?  I may very well like it.  IMHO, you have a unique way of integrating features into MB and that's part of its magic.  Keep up the great work.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

boroda

Steven, thank you any way for your efforts in developing MB (but I very missed about good (and *fast*) video and photo organizer).

Phred, I agreed. This is a question of balance - to share source code and dynamic resources (thus minimizing overhead) or to limit functionality of MB (thus minimizing overhead). I'm not the developer of MB and I cant say what is worth to do and what is not. Any way it's all up to Steven. Good luck.

Elberet

boroda, you should have a look at XBMC. It is supposed to be a complete HTPC interface (like Windows Media Center), but works quite well as a video player. Besides a gorgeous interface, it maintains a database of your video files and movies, scrapes information - fanart, cover images, actor information, etc. - from various internet databases. Some examples from my work PC:

A movie list:

Various seasons of Scrubs:

It also does music:

XBMC is not much of an organizer, tho; then again, you don't usually have thousands of video files on your harddisk, so organizing videos manually in Windows Explorer isn't that big of a deal. The only thing you need to bother with is to give your files good names - "Title (year)" for movies, and "Title 1x02" (where 1 is the series' season and 02 is the episode number), and there are tools to help with that. Everything else - the descriptions, plot, nice images and cover art was retrieved by XBMC without me doing so much as lifting a finger. ;D

boroda

Thank you Elberet. The only problem is that I need "MusicBee with extended media files support" :)

you don't usually have thousands of video files on your harddisk, so organizing videos manually in Windows Explorer isn't that big of a deal. The only thing you need to bother with is to give your files good names

Did you mean movies? I agreed. But I meant a number of personal video recordings.

Antonski

However i do think a lot of people want video, and there is a BASS plugin which is being developed and i feel probably has a couple more months needed to mature.

Until we are waiting for stable video plugin, maybe you can implement support for BasssWinamp? ;)
Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:36:42 PM by Antonski