Author Topic: Plase add a warning before moving dragged and dropped files  (Read 2508 times)

filoppi

Plase add a warning before moving files after dragging and dropping a folder into MusicBee.
Why am i asking this?

I've always used iTunes, and as you might know, to add files to its library, you can drag and drop them into iTunes.
I got sick of itunes and decided to try MusicBee; to add files my library i dragged and dropped my music folder into it, the result?
Every single files in every single folder of my music got moved into my default windows music library C:\Music.
For example, what was C:\Music\Radiohead\2002 - HelloWorld\01 - Intro.mp3
got moved into C:\Music\01 - Intro.mp3
of course there were about 25 files named 01 - Intro.mp3 in the music library so they got renamed 01 - Intro (2).mp3 and so on.
This was a disaster, the folder structure is custom took me years of work...
I had to export the itunes library in xml and write a program to move the files back where they were, it took half a day.

This wouldn't have happened if MusicBee asked me for a simple warning before moving everything.
I just don't want this problem to happen to any other person.
Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
that would only happen if you enabled auto-organise in the Library preferences. Did you forget you had that option set or did you not appreciate what it does?

I guess a once-only warning would be ok but anything more would be annoying

filoppi

No i still hadn't changed any settings at the time. i remember reading about that setting and carefully not activating it.
I don't know what happened exactly, but that was the result of a drag and drop.
Also, at the end of the process, MusicBee showed me a window with a list of files, maybe the were duplicates, i can't remember, i made sure that no action had to be taken about that, and after that i found about 100 files in the recycle bin and all my music moved to C:\Music\.

Steven

• Administrator
if you didnt have auto-organise enabled then the only way I can think files would be moved is if you held the SHIFT key down and dropped the files into a folder in the Computer section of the left navigator.
But the dialog you describe for duplicates would only happen when dropped the same track(s) into a playlist, so what you say doesnt make any sense. And in no case would the files actually be deleted from a drag/ drop operation.
To be honest you sound quite confused about what you did or at least i cant make any sense of what you say, so i wont take any further action on this.

filoppi

Yes, i was quite confused, there is a lot to understand when you first open the program.
I might have accidentally hold the shift button, but i'm sure i dropped the folder in the main panel of the default Music tab.
I'm sure i didn't have auto-organized media files turned on and no monitored folders set.

Though you are right, i'm trying to drag and drop a folder into MusicBee and it doesn't work.
So i don't even know what happened. what does "auto-organise" do by default? if you haven't changed any setting?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The default auto-organize template (for Music) will create a folder for each Album Artist, and a subfolder for each Album, with all tracks named as Disc+Track # and Title.

You can read more on this page: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/File_Organization

Added: testing now, I can only drag the Music folder from "This Computer" to the Now Playing List.  Anywhere else, I get the circle slash icon.  Probably because it's actually a link, not the folder?  I can drag the music folders beneath it to the Music node.  They were scanned in, but nothing was moved.

Do you by any chance have "automatically sweep and organize new files" ticked?
Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:36:21 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

filoppi

i think i finally understood what happened.
MusicBee automatically imported in it's libary all the music in my music folder in the background,
while it was doing that, i was exploring MusicBee extensive settings, and i might have clicked on "Organization" to the right of "automatically sweep and organise new files", just to see how it works, but i'm pretty sure i disabled it before applying settings changes (i didn't change any setting, i was just exploring the program).
The drag and drop just happened in the same moment so i thought that was the cause.

Might this be the case?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That could be related.  Until the last few days, auto-sweep didn't have a default template, so that would explain why all your files ended up in the root folder.  Hard to say for sure, though.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
for the record, in v3.1 i have blocked changing the auto-organise settings while a library file import is running