Author Topic: The Blue Bee and the Sea  (Read 28190 times)

hiccup

This one started as just some personal 'experimenting sketchbook', but it kind of got out of hand and I thought to finish and complete it, and share it just for the fun of it.

download The Blue Bee and the Sea

maybe good to mention:
the plane controls 'mute'
the sailing ship controls 'volume'
Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:23:35 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Love the color scheme, but even better than the colors is the creativity that went into this skin.  And the progress bar marker is the kicker!!!

I have found one inconsistency in the 'playing/selected' buttons where the one in the track information element is has no gradation, while the ones in the artwork and lyrics elements do have the gradation.
Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:59:58 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Thnx phred!

And yes, you are perceptive, the playing/selected switch doesn't match as well as it should.
But it's colors are currently auto-generated by MB. There already is a request out for an override for it:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18111.msg110193#msg110193

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
nice work and very clever hiccup!
I personally would like symbols rather than words for the player controls banner, but still looks good :)
Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:30:24 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

Thnx Bee-liever!

I thought an aerial banner with play/stop icons would look a bit weird ;-)
I am not completely happy with the font on 'the banner' though. I might try to improve on that a bit before long.

hiccup

Improved the player control buttons to make them look more lifelike.

Roadrunner

Hi hiccup

Thx for the very nice, well designed skin with the funny beach sceen! However, I liked the first wavier banner with the small visible border more than the new one... It also leaded the eyes easier to the buttons.

Concerning text or symbols in the banner: Text might look more realistic, but as a disadvantage, it is always English, even if the rest of MB is in another language... Therefore I agree with Bee-liever at least for giving it a try!

Independently of that small things, great skin! :)

phred

• Global Moderator
Thx for the very nice, well designed skin with the funny beach sceen! However, I liked the first wavier banner with the small visible border more than the new one... It also leaded the eyes easier to the buttons.
I agree that the banner looked more realistic on the previous version.  And while I can understand others wanted to see icons on the banner, I think that would make it look odd.  But bringing back the original banner border is sorely needed.  IMHO.  This new one just doesn't really look like it's being pulled.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Roadrunner

And while I can understand others wanted to see icons on the banner, I think that would make it look odd.
I'm not sure either, if I would like the icons more, it would be just a try to prevent untranslatable words. Maybe they could be combined with the word "MusicBee", so that there is still some ads in the banner..., something like "« || [] MusicBee > »" or "MusicBee « || [] > »" Maybe I could do a mockup this evening.
Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:01:48 AM by Roadrunner

hiccup

Thanks for the input guys, that's great.

I might crumble under international pressure, and make it a banner with icons.
That would probably look like this:

I am curious about any other suggestions or mock-ups, so please feel free to do that, and I will wait for that before I continue.

Steven

• Administrator
@hiccup, i have added an override for the Playing/Selected button

hiccup

@hiccup, i have added an override for the Playing/Selected button

Great, thank you.
I uploaded an updated version, fixing a minor issue, and now using this new element.

phred

• Global Moderator
I uploaded an updated version, fixing a minor issue, and now using this new element.
+1 for the text and the override.
However, while I can see the banner outline if I put my face an inch in front on the monitor, I think there should be more contrast between the outline and the background.  Perhaps a white or off-white would make it more visible.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

+1 for the text and the override.
However, while I can see the banner outline if I put my face an inch in front on the monitor, I think there should be more contrast between the outline and the background.  Perhaps a white or off-white would make it more visible.

It might perhaps be best to have two editions, one with icons, and one with text.
Was this earlier text version o.k. for you?

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, that's the keeper for me.  I'd be happy to have this version again.

I suppose an international (icon) edition in additional to a text version wouldn't be hard to maintain once you're done tweaking.  But we all know tweaks are what drives us.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki