Author Topic: CoolEdit Nostalgia visualizer  (Read 5462 times)

sveakul

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/visualizer/485/cooledit-nostalgia/

Anyone have any luck getting this new visualizer to display?  I keep getting blank screens, no access to its settings, etc.  Extracted all 5 files as instructed from the zip's "plugin" subdirectory directly into my Plugins directory (MB 3.5.8610 Portable).  Shows up in the Plugins list as enabled.

hiccup

I did get it to work.
(after a crash, and also an 'invisible' panel)

But then I placed it in the main panel, above the main 'files' panel, and now it works.

I only copied the mb_CoolEditNostalgia.dll file to the plugins folder, not the others.

sveakul

Thanks for the input!  Yes it seems quite particular to panel placement, but placing it where you did works, and I also skipped the D2D dll's.  All the settings from the context menu work well and provide all kinds of color, fill, and timing options in real-time.  Its window however does not seem to be vertically resizable.

One "asinine" thing I just discovered however is that it creates an entry in the ErrorLog.dat AT EVERY NEW TRACK.  They all look like this:

8/7/2023 8:11:42 PM - 10.0.19045.0 - 3.5.8606.34733P - System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.CurrentTitle()
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.ImgCheck()
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.ReceiveNotification(String sourceFileUrl, NotificationType type)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at #=zx6vSHrWHaaN97Q6rPg==.#=ziiRNdedX4M0y()

A deal-breaker for me, I hope the developer sees this and provide a fix, who wants their error log filling up on every use.

Icepat

I follow these steps, but i still get a black panel with this error when i right click :

MusicBee v3.5.8698.34385D  (Win10.0), 18 févr. 2024 17:22:

System.FormatException: Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect.
   à System.Number.ParseSingle(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
   à MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.GetCurrentSampleRate()
   à MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.PxToFreq(Int32 px)
   à MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.<>c__DisplayClass254_0.<BuildContextMenu>b__21(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.ContextMenu.OnPopup(EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.ContextMenu.Show(Control control, Point pos, Int32 flags)
   à System.Windows.Forms.ContextMenu.Show(Control control, Point pos)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmContextMenu(Message& m, Control sourceControl)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmContextMenu(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   à #=zjZcuVJ9KFZhdDg0h0npILj0=.WndProc(Message& #=zUkWzezk=)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

sveakul

Did you:

1.  Download the 2.0 version?
2.  Only use the panel placement shown?
3.  Only copy the file mb_CoolEditNostalgia.dll into the Plugins directory (skip the other 4 dll files in the zip)?

If "yes" and it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

kamen

Hi to all of you!
I wasn't even aware that this thread exists, but recently someone wrote me a PM.

Your posts are old but here are some comments to the problems above:

1. CoolEditNostalgia is a normal plugin and should be installed as such (not a visualizer although it visualizes stuff).
2. I'm working on enabling the vartical resizing, but having currently problems with the MusicBee panels. That's why I came back to the forum ;)
3. @hiccup: The crash and the invisible pannel seems to be v 1.5 when adding the plugin. v2.0 asks for restart.
4. @sveakul: I have the ErrorLog.dat filled up with the exception on each song too. Didn't notice that untill now.
5. @Icepat: The  exception seems to be something with the cultural system settings and the mismatch of "," and ".".
6. All of you use a higher version of MusicBee as I'm still on 3.5.8604 P, but that doesn't seem to be the reason behind the exceptions.

I'll have a look at those things and come back as the time allows.

kamen

I was able to work on the above issues during the past days and already uploaded version 2.5. Should be available to you soon, after approval.

Once again I'll comment on the issues above and what I did:

1. Now there is a screenshot into the ZIP on how to install the plugin.
2. The new version has two panels - docked and floating. For the docked one you can set a fixed height when adding the panel to MusicBee. For the floating you can resize it freely as a normal window. Both panels function independantly and can be configured separately.
3. @hiccup: On the crash when adding the plugin, should be fixed since v2.0. However in 2.5 there are fixes when closing the plugin that caused exceptions.
4. @sveakul: The exceptions in the ErrorLog.dat are not coming from CoolEditNostalgia. As far as I managed to diagnose the problem, it is the Spectrogram Display plugin (a great plugin!), which triggers the exceptions even when not having a visible panel. Thankfully the work with the ErrorLog.dat helped me to find some other exceptions from CEN.
5. @Icepat: The context menu exception should now be fixed.
6. I managed to test the plugin on the current official version of MusicBee 3.5.8698P. Didn't notice any problems/difference.

On the way to the resizable version there may be some new bugs and issues that came with the implementation. You can report them here.

kamen

A new version 3.0 is on its way today.

In it there is a new color picker that can apply the colors live as you change them. The color transparency is now changeable too.
Then the whole settings can now be saved and loaded as themes.
And lastly there is a new "Dynamic dB Scale" option, that makes the dynamics of the track more prominent and lively.

sveakul

Hi kamen, I was completely unaware of your latest posts and the update to version 3.0.  Unfortunately because Visualizers is a "child board" to Customizations, noticing new posts there tends to be obscured by the extremely active boards like Plugins.

Thanks for your work on this;  I have downloaded 3.0 and will be testing it later this week.

I have to say though it's hard to accept that just the presence of another completely unrelated plugin, Spectrogram panel, could have any effect on the production of the error log entries for every played song that only occured when CoolEdit was active.  There must be some way to isolate the processes of CoolEdit from other MusicBee plugins.  I will be seeing what happens with 3.0 but if the error log issue is unchanged it's unlikely I will be holding on to it.

Thanks again for the update posts and I'll be looking forward to testing.

BoringName

I have to say though it's hard to accept that just the presence of another completely unrelated plugin, Spectrogram panel

It was a while ago now so I can't remember the specifics but when troubleshooting my coverflow plugin, I had some issues I couldn't fix that were driving me crazy. Turned out it was Spectrogram, once I removed that plugin all my problems disappeared.

I think it may be due to the using the default name of the panel as "panel". Maybe it caused a conflict, not sure, I changed mine just in case but I never reinstalled Spectrogram to check if it fixed it.

sveakul

Thanks BoringName for chiming in here!

I'm wondering though if we're all talking about the same spectrogram plugin??  I'm referring to "spectrogram-display" by zkhcohen, file name "mb_Spectrogram-Display.dll", no "panel" as a default name although like other plugins it does install in the panel layout.  Again, hard to see a source of conflict there, but I'm no coder.

BoringName

Thanks BoringName for chiming in here!

I'm wondering though if we're all talking about the same spectrogram plugin??  I'm referring to "spectrogram-display" by zkhcohen, file name "mb_Spectrogram-Display.dll", no "panel" as a default name although like other plugins it does install in the panel layout.  Again, hard to see a source of conflict there, but I'm no coder.

In Spectrogram-display.cs line 30
private Control panel;

It's called "panel" in the code. I installed it again and it works fine with my plugin now so who knows. I can't imagine that really is the issue as plugins would be run separately.

But it was definitely causing me problems a while back. Maybe I set something wrong that caused it, I don't know what I'm doing half the time so it's a good possibility.

DeltaWing

Greetings. Is there any chance that logarithmic volume scaling could be added? Having logarithmic frequency scaling is excellent, however, both axis should be logarithmic for a more accurate and natural display of the audio.