Author Topic: Split Custom Tags  (Read 3974 times)

fabulario

Just a question:
Is it possible to create custom or virtual tags that can separate the content in rows and columns as does the Artist tag?
I created custom tags for musicians (Credits Musicians List) and credits (People Involved List). Both can be splitted in rows, but I wonder if they also could have two columns, one for the name, and one for the role,or this is just for the Artis tag.

theta_wave

Just a question:
Is it possible to create custom or virtual tags that can separate the content in rows and columns as does the Artist tag?
I created custom tags for musicians (Credits Musicians List) and credits (People Involved List). Both can be splitted in rows, but I wonder if they also could have two columns, one for the name, and one for the role,or this is just for the Artis tag.
I don't see why not.  You will have to find a proper delimiter character and use the $Split function to achieve what you desire: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions
Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:58:53 AM by ssri

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  I'm not sure whether $Spilt would help or not.

As you've discovered, you can use multiple values in a custom tag.  However, virtual tags can only produce one value.  They treat multiple value tags as a single string.

By the second column I guess you're thinking of the artist/guest artist/performer/remixer options?  That is unique to the artist splitter, and actually puts guest artist, performer, and remixer in their own special tags, not in the artist tag.  About the closest you could come with a custom tag would be something like Artist (Instrument).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

theta_wave

Hmm.  I'm not sure whether $Spilt would help or not.

As you've discovered, you can use multiple values in a custom tag.  However, virtual tags can only produce one value.  They treat multiple value tags as a single string.

By the second column I guess you're thinking of the artist/guest artist/performer/remixer options?  That is unique to the artist splitter, and actually puts guest artist, performer, and remixer in their own special tags, not in the artist tag.  About the closest you could come with a custom tag would be something like Artist (Instrument).
I read "second column" as a new virtual tag in its own sortable column.  So, split the tag one way -> Virtual tag 1; split the tag another way -> Virtual tag 2.  I did something similar splitting classical tracks that had the following title format: blah blah, Op. #: Movement.  Everything to the left of the ": " delimiter went to a new virtual tag <Work>.  Everything to the right of the delimiter went to a second virtual tag <Movement>.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I see.  That makes sense!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

theta_wave

I see.  That makes sense!
I hope my interpretation is correct, as it was hard to discern what the OP wanted to do. :)
Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:09:24 AM by ssri

fabulario

Thanks you for your help.

Yes, this is what I want to do, and as I supossed that`s only possible in the Artist tag.

I don't see why not.  You will have to find a proper delimiter character and use the $Split function to achieve what you desire.

I've tried it with $ Split function, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm using a custom tag (Musicians Credist List) for difrentes musicians involved in an album. Different values are separated by a semicolon (John Coltrane / Tenor Sax; Elvin Jones / Drums, ...). This splits the tag in different rows, one for each artis / instrument.
With the function $Split (<Musicians>, /, 2), I get "Tenor Sax; Elvin Jones / Drums, ...", because it can not distinguish the values separated by semicolons.
Anyway this is a good information, and I'm sure It will be useful sometime.

What I'm trying to achieve is to sort and search all musicians not only by his name but also by his instrument.

But you can not get everything ;)

theta_wave

I've tried it with $ Split function, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm using a custom tag (Musicians Credist List) for difrentes musicians involved in an album. Different values are separated by a semicolon (John Coltrane / Tenor Sax; Elvin Jones / Drums, ...). This splits the tag in different rows, one for each artis / instrument.
With the function $Split (<Musicians>, /, 2), I get "Tenor Sax; Elvin Jones / Drums, ...", because it can not distinguish the values separated by semicolons.
Anyway this is a good information, and I'm sure It will be useful sometime.

What I'm trying to achieve is to sort and search all musicians not only by his name but also by his instrument.

But you can not get everything ;)
Well, that is not going to be possible as each song is likely going to have multiple artist credits in <Musician Credits List> and you are not going to be able to sort multiple values in a field.  One value, one row for proper column (tag field) sorting.  Even if you separate each of them out like VArtist1: $Split($Split(<Musicians Credit List>,"; ",1)," / ",1); VInstrument1: $Split($Split($Split(<Musicians Credit List>,"; ",1)," / ",2), and down the line, John Coltrane may end up in <VArtist1> in your example, but he might end up in <VArtist2> in some other album.  So, the best suggestion I can give you is to keep your custom <Musician Credits List> and create autoplaylists that queries that field where you might add that the field contains John Coltrane and Tenor Sax.

fabulario

So, the best suggestion I can give you is to keep your custom <Musician Credits List> and create autoplaylists that queries that field where you might add that the field contains John Coltrane and Tenor Sax.

Thanks, I'll try this option.